Will Cleveland riot over the verdict or not?

Mojoe

Will there be a riot or not?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be a riot or not?

• Hell no
    • You know there will be

That is not at all how the 5th Amendment is supposed to work, and it's a fucking shame that someone sworn to protect and serve the community would hide behind such a justification.

Everyone deserves the protections of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, but an officer who has not been charged with anything shouldn't be able to hide behind the 5th Amendment. This is a coworker, after all, not a damn spouse.

but an officer who has not been charged with anything yet shouldn't be able to hide behind the 5th Amendment.

Fixed it for you. If there is a potential that he contributed to the incident that the defendant is supposed to be charged with he can't be forced to testify to his detriment. they can always charge him later based on his testimony so He's using the 5th amendment the right way but it isn't helping the defense's case because now it looks like the police have something to hide.

It's a CYA tactic for the officers but it does frustrate the justice looking to be done.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

As far as riots, who knows, but there should be protests.

Fixed it for you. If there is a potential that he contributed to the incident that the defendant is supposed to be charged with he can't be forced to testify to his detriment. they can always charge him later based on his testimony so He's using the 5th amendment the right way but it isn't helping the defense's case because now it looks like the police have something to hide.

It's a CYA tactic for the officers but it does frustrate the justice looking to be done.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

As far as riots, who knows, but there should be protests.

good point.

Still, the 5th Amendment shouldn't be something that is meant as a CYA tactic. There needs to be some sort of oversight/retroactive contempt charge available, or some sort of immunity caveat (how's that for an oxymoron?).

It frustrates me that they can basically hold their testimony hostage for immunity, and that there's no recourse if their testimony ends up not being self-incriminating.

good point.

It frustrates me that they can basically hold their testimony hostage for immunity, and that there's no recourse if their testimony ends up not being self-incriminating.

You are not the only one frustrated by this, the prosecution is extremely frustrated, mostly because the investigation didn't yield more suspects to charge. I find it hard to believe that an officer acted alone, even if he was the only one standing on the hood of the Malibu firing into the windshield (it just isn't in police training to act alone, relies a lot on the buddy or partner system).

If the testimony turns out to be not self incriminating then immunity is worthless. Either way I don't see any of these officers returning to work if they testify, immunity or not.

Yes! Real black people are happy since they know racism and institutional biases (which never even really existed anyways) have been over since 2008.

I find it hard to believe that an officer acted alone, even if he was the only one standing on the hood of the Malibu firing into the windshield (it just isn't in police training to act alone, relies a lot on the buddy or partner system).

Most departments are single man units and the officer is trained as an individual, not a team. Anyways the officer who pulled the trigger will always have to answer for HIS actions, regardless if he is riding with someone.

They will probably riot because thats what people do. It will be a long weekend for the Departments up there.

The violent looting and rioting is a byproduct from decades of mistreatment and ignorance. Much like a tree in your front yard, you can keep simply watering it and it may provide a bit of shade for awhile. But keep ignoring its proper care and mistreating it otherwise and eventually the parts you ignore and can't see, the roots, grow long and gnarly and begin tearing up the foundation of your home and driveway; destroying walls and and ruining lives.

So, what happens in our society? Many of those in 'authority' start blindly hacking away at the tree more and more. "Fuckin' tree. You can't trust 'em." So, naturally, the tree responds by stopping helpful, healthful growth and pushes for more growth through places it's safe; the growth underground, further increasing mayhem and decreasing quality for all. Is the tree helping the situation by destroying some shit? No. But my point is, it's hard to blame the tree.

Even the most cowardly, frightened dog will turn violent and aggressive if it feels forced into a corner. Add this to the fact that there are just as many assholes looking for an excuse on both sides of the equation and it's easy to see why things have come to this. However, the rest of us need to keep it in mind that those few assholes aren't always representative of 'the other side', though.

Feel free to add any other analogies. :p I've probably got a half dozen more shitty ones I can come up with. lol