Porsche, there's no substitute

Forrest Gump 9

I've just stumble on this thread today thought I would share with the fellow car enthusiasts.

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/628811-for-the-non-believers.html

In short, a Porsche 996 turbo with 376k miles on original engine and clutch. Incredible!! I guess I'm stuck with Beetle until the day I die.

I would call than an exception, rather than the rule. If you browse the internet you can also find Dodge Intrepid's with 230,000 plus miles, and 2.7 and 3.2 engines. If you enjoy the car that much you can and will keep it running forever. Reliable is certainly not the word I would use for Porsche, unless of course you fix the coolant tubes, IMS bearings, trans popout and other things. My Porsches, cayenne turbo, and 996 turbo, are piles of shit, requiring constant maintenance. The euro 928 I had came with some issues, but never left me on the side of the road, and these have over 4 times with less than 80,000 miles.

I would call and Acura NSX a reliable car, same with the supra. Like I have said before, go buy a European car for how it makes you feel, not for reliability, and if you do purchase one, get a warranty.

His Car must be made from magic

Most of the guys that own them, overlook the many shortcomings, and place the cars on pedestals. There aren't many of these cars, but they fail in a large way, quite a bit, and usually for shit like plastic coolant tubes, and aluminum coolant nipples, glued in place with shit glue.

Bad engineering, and overthinking, and poor choices for plastic materials, are what the Germans should be known for.

I would call than an exception, rather than the rule. If you browse the internet you can also find Dodge Intrepid's with 230,000 plus miles, and 2.7 and 3.2 engines. If you enjoy the car that much you can and will keep it running forever. Reliable is certainly not the word I would use for Porsche, unless of course you fix the coolant tubes, IMS bearings, trans popout and other things. My Porsches, cayenne turbo, and 996 turbo, are piles of shit, requiring constant maintenance. The euro 928 I had came with some issues, but never left me on the side of the road, and these have over 4 times with less than 80,000 miles.

I would call and Acura NSX a reliable car, same with the supra. Like I have said before, go buy a European car for how it makes you feel, not for reliability, and if you do purchase one, get a warranty.

Most of the guys that own them, overlook the many shortcomings, and place the cars on pedestals. There aren't many of these cars, but they fail in a large way, quite a bit, and usually for shit like plastic coolant tubes, and aluminum coolant nipples, glued in place with shit glue.

Bad engineering, and overthinking, and poor choices for plastic materials, are what the Germans should be known for.

I know you would chime in with your horrible German car experience. Just want to share a good experience with you.

Here's my Toyota experience. My family had a Toyota Cressida, all stock with right around 80k miles, blew the engine up (don't remember, may be just hg). I had a 91 Toyota Mr2 turbo with the almighty 3sgte that's suppose to be indestructible, guess what blew up right around 100k miles. My 97 Toyota 4Runner was very reliable, at 175k miles I let my sister borrow it. She overheated the engine and blew it up. This is just my Toyota experience, but do I write them off? No, I still recommend people to buy them. I still think the 97 Toyota 4Runner is the best winter beater out there. I also think it's the best looking SUV ever made.

The six years I own my E55 the car left me stranded twice. One for CPS and the second was the fuse to the fuel pump burnt out. That car made +550whp and I drove it almost everyday for six years rain, snow, or ice. I found that most German cars that just sat around and babied are the one that will bite you in the ass. Those cars are made to be driven.

I took your advice and got my coolant pipe pinned in my Porsche. The engine mount job was a 30min job, and it's only $80 a pop. Way cheaper than my $550 electronic control engine mount in my Honda Odyssey.

I found that most German cars that just sat around and babied are the one that will bite you in the ass. Those cars are made to be driven.

This X1000. Drive it every day, drive it hard, and it will last.

A 3 minute commute does not count.

We get it, you hate German cars.

Misuse of commas is what you will be known for.

All cars are junk, that's why we have jobs in the service industry. American cars aren't any better. You tend to hate what you don't understand and once you understand German cars they become very easy to work on and very consistent.

Chris. Let me start by commending you for thinking like an engineer. I know your background work and what you've built and engineered and it's extremely impressive.

However, it seems like you fall in the camp of people that feel like because their European car was expensive it should be completely over-engineered, without problems and should never break. Sadly car companies are car companies and will do everything to maximize profits, which sometimes means making poor decisions to save a penny here and there. This isn't unique to Porsche, or the European car makers but it seems as you're trying to hold them to a higher standard. Porsche isn't the most profitable auto maker in the world because they refuse to compromise on every engineering decision.

Casey's 4 year old Camaro with 22k miles has oil pump failure and your well aware of this issue commenting "not a well thought out design". The plastic coolant pipes on your 8+ year Cayenne break and it's "the biggest pile of shit". The bearings on your 2 piece drive shaft (Cardan shaft) are going to go out on the Cayenne soon if they haven't already....but then again that'll happen to Casey's Camaro too...

I see LOTS of LSx motors blow up at track days for various reasons that I'm sure many of you are familiar with, I just don't know the platform that well. What I do know is I have 12-13 thousand track miles on my 11 year old GT3 and it never misses a beat other than that time it dumped coolant all over the place :D

The Mezger pressed cooalnt fittings are a thorn in the side of everyone who owns them. But again not something that should have been a surprise. I fixed mine myself a few years ago and despite being alot of my own personal time I think I spent $350 on the whole project.

There was an article on Jalopnik recently that relates here and puts a fresh spin on this topic. Basically, as enthusiasts who want to know everything about the cars we drive, we also identify and document all of the issues with those platforms as well. As an entusiast it's for the best because you can help identify issue that need to be proactively fixed instead of waiting for them to break. You think that 230k mile Intrepid you use an an example got there without breaking anything? Doubt it...but I also doubt that there's an Intrepid forum where anyone can document the issues with the platform, show you how to fix them yourself, or complain about them in the open. So nobody knows how many thousands of dollars it takes to get an Intrepid to 230k because nobody is passionate about the car.

http://jalopnik.com/how-the-hell-are-porsches-so-reliable-1709270257

Chris. Let me start by commending you for thinking like an engineer. I know your background work and what you've built and engineered and it's extremely impressive.

However, it seems like you fall in the camp of people that feel like because their European car was expensive it should be completely over-engineered, without problems and should never break. Sadly car companies are car companies and will do everything to maximize profits, which sometimes means making poor decisions to save a penny here and there. This isn't unique to Porsche, or the European car makers but it seems as you're trying to hold them to a higher standard. Porsche isn't the most profitable auto maker in the world because they refuse to compromise on every engineering decision.

Casey's 4 year old Camaro with 22k miles has oil pump failure and your well aware of this issue commenting "not a well thought out design". The plastic coolant pipes on your 8+ year Cayenne break and it's "the biggest pile of shit". The bearings on your 2 piece drive shaft (Cardan shaft) are going to go out on the Cayenne soon if they haven't already....but then again that'll happen to Casey's Camaro too...

I see LOTS of LSx motors blow up at track days for various reasons that I'm sure many of you are familiar with, I just don't know the platform that well. What I do know is I have 12-13 thousand track miles on my 11 year old GT3 and it never misses a beat other than that time it dumped coolant all over the place :D

The Mezger pressed cooalnt fittings are a thorn in the side of everyone who owns them. But again not something that should have been a surprise. I fixed mine myself a few years ago and despite being alot of my own personal time I think I spent $350 on the whole project.

There was an article on Jalopnik recently that relates here and puts a fresh spin on this topic. Basically, as enthusiasts who want to know everything about the cars we drive, we also identify and document all of the issues with those platforms as well. As an entusiast it's for the best because you can help identify issue that need to be proactively fixed instead of waiting for them to break. You think that 230k mile Intrepid you use an an example got there without breaking anything? Doubt it...but I also doubt that there's an Intrepid forum where anyone can document the issues with the platform, show you how to fix them yourself, or complain about them in the open. So nobody knows how many thousands of dollars it takes to get an Intrepid to 230k because nobody is passionate about the car.

One thing I'd like to add is that there probably is an Intrepid forum. Hell, there's a RAV forum. You don't want to spend much time there if you're a 'car guy', (it's an exercise in patients or amusement depending on your mood), but it's there. :p

Well, keep in mind that the SS is around $50 k in today's dollar. The cars we are talking about were double if not triple that 11 years ago. While I agree that the oil pump failure should not happen, and am disappointed by it, in a car that is near triple the existing price of a new Camaro, these are simple but pain in the ass problems. I purchased the 996 turbo, by reading things like bulletproof and reliable on forums.

That sort of stuff isn't acceptable to me, not just because it is a car that today would be $200,000.

300K is very impressive on such a high end sports car....BUT he has replaced a LOT...and spent a lot to do so.

• All three front radiators (right front now twice)

• water pump

• coolant expansion tank (as a precaution with water pump)

• power steering pump/reservoir (for the annoying squeal)

• right front bearing, left rear bearing

• front diff (due to front bearing issue)

• clutch accumulator and slave cylinder (4 times now for the slave - one time lasted only 4 days and it failed - PCNA pulled all the parts on the shelves in the US as a result of this and a few others in the country with a similar issue)

• wiring harness repair (passenger side front most cylinder – harness to the coil pack chaffing issue)

• rear main seal (while engine was down for a wiring harness repair we pulled the tranny to inspect the bearings, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel)

• two bearings in the clutch assembly – one was bad, one was fine

• Decarbon the secondary air ports from the intakes to the exhaust

• Gas cap – the gasket finally went at 186,000+ miles

• Check valve and carbon canister on the vapor recovery system for the fuel tank

• normal services done on time

• brake pads (only on the 4th rear set and 5th front set - car has PCCB's and is tracked 6-10 days/year)

• oil changes every 5000 miles religiously – Mobil 1 0W-40

• tranny and diff fluids every 60,000 miles

• Baileys DV's

• GT-3 Cup front brake ducts

• Idler pulleys

• Belt (done a couple of times)

• Suspension will be replaced shortly (KW Clubsport)

• Carden shaft will be replaced (second time now) when the suspension is done

• All four half shafts will be replaced with the suspension

• Motorsport Sways and Tarett drops links will be replaced with the suspension

• Protomotive intercoolers going in when suspension is done

• Two rear heat shields will be replaced when the suspension is done