WWCRD: Insurance claim

greg1647545532

Some guy didn't yield at a yield sign and sideswiped my wife:

http://i.imgur.com/f07a62uh.jpg

He started yelling at my wife, saying it was her fault (it clearly was not). Because of that, we waited for the cops to show up; I figured if there was a police report there'd be less of a chance that his insurance company would come after us. The guy left shortly after I said that after giving us all his info.

When the cop showed up she said that if she filed a police report he'd have to get a citation, and so I wasn't going to bother because I figured his day was bad enough. But then she ran his plates and wrote one up anyway because he was driving on a suspended license.

The damage is only cosmetic, it will mostly buff out but there's some big shallow dents as well. The van is a 2006 with 130k miles. I'm on the fence about filing an insurance claim to have it fixed; on the one hand, I don't really care that much, and it's one more thing to pile on a guy who's having a bad day. On the other hand, it's not my fault dude can't drive worth a shit.

WWCRD?

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the dumbass shouldn't be on the road to begin with. I lost my liscence and played by the rules, this guy didn't so fuck him. Do society a favor and make him deal with his stupid decisions. I personally think he should deal with leaving the scene of an accident too because he left before the cops showed up.

Besides you assume he actually has insurance, sounds like a worthless fuck so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have insurance anyway.

If you can't tell I hate this type of shit, I take responsibility for the rules I've broken, this guy just keeps right on fucking up.

Think of this as a buisness transaction, there shouldnt be any emotions in a decision like this.

Plus, if he claims it was her fault, you never know he could of tried to file against you guys saying its your fault, so its good that you filed .

lol @ having feelings

He ran the sign and fucked up YOUR day. File the claim.

Some people will only learn the hard way. I quote Brian because you being the nice guy will make you a victim every time. Doing shit wrong is expensive, maybe he will learn that and you're here to help. We have a system, people don't have to like it, but you losing money and time for someone else is unacceptable. You comply with the system, laws, and rules, why are you letting him not do it?

• Upvote 1

Because of some of the circumstances, I agree with the recommendations to file the police report and the insurance claim.

However, I think you deserve credit for considering not doing those things and just taking a minor loss so that you don't "pile woe upon woe" for the other guy. There are few folks such as you around these days. I think it's difficult to have that attitude in a society increasingly bent on taking advantage of every human kindness.

You comply with the system, laws, and rules, why are you letting him not do it?[/font][/color]

When I was 6 or 8, I opened my mom's car door into the side of a beautiful red C4 Corvette. Put a nice chip in the paint. I was mortified. The old guy smiled and said, "It's just a car."

People have given me plenty of breaks when I've needed them most, and I'm in a position in my life right now where I can afford (financially and emotionally) to let a lot of stuff slide. I don't think that makes me a victim, I'd like to think that it makes the world a better place; maybe this guy will let something slide when he finally gets his shit together and can mange it. (Queue CR calling me a hippie queer :))

I see your point though, and in this case I think I needed the CR hammer mentality -- the car really does need to be fixed this time, and I'm not so well off that I'm willing to pay out of pocket to cut this schmuck a break on his insurance rates.

eta: Thanks Doc.

When I was 6 or 8, I opened my mom's car door into the side of a beautiful red C4 Corvette. Put a nice chip in the paint. I was mortified. The old guy smiled and said, "It's just a car."

People have given me plenty of breaks when I've needed them most, and I'm in a position in my life right now where I can afford (financially and emotionally) to let a lot of stuff slide. I don't think that makes me a victim, I'd like to think that it makes the world a better place; maybe this guy will let something slide when he finally gets his shit together and can mange it. (Queue CR calling me a hippie queer :))

I see your point though, and in this case I think I needed the CR hammer mentality -- the car really does need to be fixed this time, and I'm not so well off that I'm willing to pay out of pocket to cut this schmuck a break on his insurance rates.

eta: Thanks Doc.

I can relate to that. You were a kid, and an adult understood a kid's mistake and saw you were remorseful. Adult to adult, I personally have a hard time being in his corner. My wife was cut off in traffic last year, and the guy slammed on his breaks. She had nowhere to go and hit him. It totaled her new car. She was so mad at herself, and it wasn’t her fault. When I got to the scene, I asked him if it was worth cutting her off. He wouldn’t even answer me. The guy knew he was wrong. I’ve been the nice guy and had to pay for it later. The phrase “no good deed goes unpunished”, sticks in my mind. Sure, it sounds like I’m a pessimist. I’ve been very fortunate in many ways. I just look at it as a realist.

I didn't mean to jump in all negitive. I hope for the best out come for you.

Because of some of the circumstances, I agree with the recommendations to file the police report and the insurance claim.

However, I think you deserve credit for considering not doing those things and just taking a minor loss so that you don't "pile woe upon woe" for the other guy. There are few folks such as you around these days. I think it's difficult to have that attitude in a society increasingly bent on taking advantage of every human kindness.

In some cases I would agree with you. In this instance the guy was wrong and chose to be aggressive and try and intimidate the op/his wife.

In some cases I would agree with you. In this instance the guy was wrong and chose to be aggressive and try and intimidate the op/his wife.

Meh, tempers are heated after an accident. I don't expect people to behave perfectly.

Hell, just this morning I cussed at my kids for spilling my coffee all over the carpet. I don't feel particularly great about it, but I'd hope someone wouldn't judge me as a parent based on those 10 seconds.