choosing a car battery

wnaplay1647545503

I have been doing some work to the 41 and need a new battery. The battery was relocated to the trunk by a previous owner and now that it needs replaced I want to go with the smallest battery I can get for reasons of space. The battery I have been using is way to big. How do I determine what battery will work? I am not running any accessories other than a radio if that. Should I consider a deep cycle since it sits for long periods of time? Will I have issues if I buy the smallest car battery off the shelf?

I doubt your 41 needs much power so your biggest concerns would be proper venting if it's in the trunk and the right size to fit. I wouldn't bother with a deep cycle battery, I'd just buy a decent battery maintainer, that way it's always fully charged and doesn't put more stress on the alternator after it's been sitting trying to recharge a half dead battery.

I have got a couple good Miata batteries in the garage if you want to try one, compact battery that is meant to be vented in a trunk. Dad has used them for years (had access to them for free) in his 79 Jeep and his Festiva without ever having an issue. These cars don't really have an electrical load like a modern car so it's why a small battery works fine.

The battery doesn't have much to do with your accessories, your alternator (or generator? Not sure what your '41 is running) does that. The battery only handles starting.

What compression are you running?

Starting is obviously the first priority, but having a reserve to withstand some draw over time is very important. Being a 41 I doubt it has any real draw at all, and a small battery should work fine especially if it's kept fully charged.

The battery is located in a small space between the backseat and a wall in the trunk. I rarely drive this thing and will probably sell soon. The most it is driven would be to a local car show a few times a year. The only accessory this thing has are lights although I considered adding a radio. Should I be worried the battery is in such a compact area?