Bought it.. AND drove it 450 miles home

ItzaME

Can you elaborate as to how he is an ass?

I read all the same threads you did and despite being a car flipper and honestly kind of terrible at taking pics and writing ads (which looked like laziness more than deception to me) I didn't see anything that indicated he was being dishonest.

if you don't like is price the simple solution is not to buy it. If enough agree with you he'll have to change it. Or are you just insulted that he asked for more money than you thought his car was worth?

Old salvage title Subarus are not worth 10k+

If someone will pay it that's fine, let's ignore that right now. I wouldn't be able to do it is all I'm saying.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of craigslist ads are the same. Hate to sell my baby but yada yada bullshit bullshit, my loss your gain, etc. All those cliche lines people try and use when selling something. "Runs rough but all it needs is *insert routine maintenance item here* and it will run perfect!" What really gets me is when they claim to be selling because they have too many cars and need to downsize, then at the end of the ad say "will consider trades for car X or car Y or maybe car Z". Or when they say "asking 2500 OBO, 2000 is the least I'll take" :lol:

If someone will pay it that's fine, let's ignore that right now. I wouldn't be able to do it is all I'm saying.

I happen to agree that I would not pay $10K for a salvage subaru, but something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and asking price is not the same as sale price.

I just want to make sure I am not missing something here where the guy was being intentionally misleading or something.

Can you elaborate as to how he is an ass?

I read all the same threads you did and despite being a car flipper and honestly kind of terrible at taking pics and writing ads (which looked like laziness more than deception to me) I didn't see anything that indicated he was being dishonest.

if you don't like is price the simple solution is not to buy it. If enough agree with you he'll have to change it. Or are you just insulted that he asked for more money than you thought his car was worth?

I happen to agree that I would not pay $10K for a salvage subaru, but something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and asking price is not the same as sale price.

I just want to make sure I am not missing something here where the guy was being intentionally misleading or something.

http://i62.tinypic.com/fv9zy9.jpg

I think it's morally objectionable to even ask 10k for a salvage titled POS.

eh...I wouldn't go that far, but that's the nature of car flipping. You ask a high number and people negotiate you down. I don't think he's looking for the super saavy buyer who tracks subaru value and is plugged into the subaru network and can get the super good deals that insiders get - he's looking for the person that thinks it might be fun to have a modded WRX, checks KBB, does not enough research, and then pitches a $7-8K offer on the car. It's a business tactic to flipping cars and it's hard to make a moral judgement without knowing the sale price - it isn't like he's running a buy here pay here lot (at least I hope he isn't).

90% of craigslist ads are the same. Hate to sell my baby but yada yada bullshit bullshit, my loss your gain, etc. All those cliche lines people try and use when selling something. "Runs rough but all it needs is *insert routine maintenance item here* and it will run perfect!" What really gets me is when they claim to be selling because they have too many cars and need to downsize, then at the end of the ad say "will consider trades for car X or car Y or maybe car Z". Or when they say "asking 2500 OBO, 2000 is the least I'll take" :lol:

"A/C doesn't work...JUST NEEDS A RECHARGE" LOL

"Some small spots of rot...SURFACE RUST ONLY" LOL

"Airbag light is on...IT'S JUST A CLOCK SPRING" LOL

"Check engine light is on...GAS CAP IS LOOSE" LOL

"Tires are fine...MAY NEED TO SWAP'EM AFTER THE WINTER" LOL

"Salvage title? WAS A SMALL FENDER BENDER." LOL

"Radio/Wipers/Door Locks work...OH WAIT, THEY JUST STOPPED" LOL

A/C Compressor removed...BECAUSE RACE CAR" LOL

Runs good drives good...WILL NEED TO BE TRAILERED" LOL

Battery dies when it sits overnight...I'M SURE IT'S JUST A LOOSE CONNECTION" LOL

Exterior is beat to crap...IT'S STILL WORTH A TON BECAUSE IT'S ULTRA RARE" LOL

I CAN FIX ALL OF THESE ISSUES...I JUST HAVEN'T GOT THE TIME RIGHT MEOW. :lol:

eh...I wouldn't go that far, but that's the nature of car flipping. You ask a high number and people negotiate you down. I don't think he's looking for the super saavy buyer who tracks subaru value and is plugged into the subaru network and can get the super good deals that insiders get - he's looking for the person that thinks it might be fun to have a modded WRX, checks KBB, does not enough research, and then pitches a $7-8K offer on the car. It's a business tactic to flipping cars and it's hard to make a moral judgement without knowing the sale price - it isn't like he's running a buy here pay here lot (at least I hope he isn't).

I think we're all used to you providing a counter point to a lot of things here on CR. I actually enjoy many of the conversations that come out of it.

So you've defended the flipper who asks unreasonable money for cars stating this is a business tactic for the car flipper.

...But then throw the buy here pay here lot under the bus???

...But then throw the buy here pay here lot under the bus???

There is a lot I can't defend about the buy here pay here model. Mostly the "pay here" part of it as it pertains scams, shady dealing, taking advantage of customers...etc...

Car flipper is one thing - it is a negotiated cash price and the buyer pays it or it doesn't. If the seller is asking too much the market corrects by letting the car languish. At the end of the day it is the buyer to do the leg work concerning the car and buyer beware (and to be fair I am a huge consumer advocate but even I know the limits). If the buyer doesn't do his research, have the car checked out, or buys it despite having deep concerns - as long as the seller did not do something illegal, the buyer has no one to blame but themselves.

but BHPH lots - I get that the fill a need in a community for low income purchasers with bad credit, but a lot of the problem tactics don't come from the cars themselves but rather from the dealer leveraging their extensive knowledge of credit laws to take advantage of their customers. With a car if you don't know what to look at you can take it to an independent mechanic and have it checked out - how do you do that with your credit agreement? there aren't a lot of options for those who are already at a disadvantage.

yeah I know about the odometer rollbacks and the sawdust in the transmissions and honestly yeah that's shady shit but that's a physical object and you can have that checked out. Yo-yo financing? selling cars you don't have paperwork to? credit usury? yeah that's all bad stuff and most people in the BHPH demographic aren't necessarily going to know nor have someone to turn to when something happens. What's worse is that banks who make the same loans have tremendous regulatory scrutiny but these lots are at best regulated at the state level if at all.

I know not every BHPH lot is bad, and there are some that aren't out to scalp every single person who walks through the door, but the model breeds bad behavior (look up floor line of credit and its effects) and an large majority are the small lots scratching out a living any way they can and often operating on the wrong side of the law.

Ahahahahahah

Thanks to the guy who posted this on my profile. So far skimming through this all I saw was something about me selling salvage subarus made of gold for 10k and then me being some ass saying something and doing another thing. Anywayyyyyy

I've gotten two separate NSX offers and the distance to meet up with the guys is pretty reasonable. Both have a car collection and never owned a porsche so are ready to trade when I am. Recently did an oil change and replaced a sticky starter and going to put new pan in soon. Had the chance to get something pretty sweet when I first put up the ad but it's long gone now. Still very interesting seeing offers that I have been getting so ads staying up for fun. Not sure what people are getting butt hurt about and/or why people like to play detective. Time for you to get a job maybe lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The ad seemed to be a typical "I hate to sell my baby but an opportunity of a lifetime has presented itself" instead of a "I have a car for sale" ad.

Again, my impression is omission of the actual intent. Trust me, I'm not losing sleep over old ugly hipster porsches....

Let's just say I can visualize who this guy is, what he looks like, and how he does business.

Round of applause. To break the mystery for some. I originally created the CL ad because someone who had an NSX (higher mileage but still nice) wanted to trade me even after i explained to him every downfall oft car I could imagine. I made the ad and matched the price he was selling his car for 35k+ and sent it to him with pics so he can check it out etc. I talked to a few people and decided I'll hold onto the porsche for now and just kept ad up for shits and gigs.

Anyway. Conducting business is easy. You come look at car. You have the finest mechanics you know inspect car and do whatever the hell you want to the car before you buy it to make sure you love it. If you love it, you buy it and your on your way. If you don't buy it, it's ok the next guy will.. I don't pull prices out of my ass, especially with cars I've sold in the past. I sold few cars with rebuilt titles that would put most clean titles to shame and they were sold at clean title prices because I keep record of damages/repairs and don't scheme people.

I have a 2003 WRX with 101k rebuilt title for sale of anyone's interested

There's nothing wrong with flipping cars, especially if you're acquiring low and passing on some deals to the community. Pad your pocket, help out fellow enthusiasts, what could be better? This guy's an ass and it's why I flamed all his threads and got shit on by the admins. 10k salvage pooparu LOL :dumb:

This guy^^^ ahaha

Kick rocks ya bum.. That Subaru your referring too sold easily and I would buy it back right now if I had the chance to. Most solid one I've owned yet.

Please direct quote me where I was asking $10k for any of my Subarus