Machine shop recommendations

stavman

I have an LS2 with a spun bearing, looking for a shop in columbus or delaware that you would recommend. I called M&M in Delaware because I've had head work done there and left a message and never got a reply. Anyone ever had block work done there? Might possible stroke it depending on if the crank is toasted or not.

Stavman

I literally spoke face to face with Mike @ M&M this past Thursday(left him a VM, he never responded, and so I just went there to drop off the head). I'd rather you NOT go there since I need him to do my BMW head first. ;):lol:.

He was going to some truck race at Eldoro??? may be why he didn't respond to you.

^ and a full time cleaning crew x2. If you have any organizational or OCD tendencies you will literally start twitching when you walk in the door. Can't say enough positive things about M&M though, we got a lot of machine work done there and they are an excellent business partner.

Yes he did work on my last set of heads as well. How is his block work though? Anyone had anything done there like that? Punched, Stroked, Etc?? Any LS work? I don't know enough about block work to be like well if you can do a chevy 350 you can do an LS.

LOL at this thread. It had been a couple of years since Mike did the 300-6 in my Ford, and I could barely walk in my suit from the door to his counter without getting dirty last week. Still love the guy.

Think about it...even if you did hire someone (or someone came in voluntarily) to shadow Mike for a year, picking up pieces and trying to organize them...you'd drive yourself or Mike crazy. Other shops have racks on the walls with old parts from 20-30 years ago...Mike just has those parts piled up on the floor. :)

M&M is terrible at callbacks, but they do fantastic work in my 2 experiences with them

fantastic work but Mike needs a full time secretary

^ and a full time cleaning crew x2. If you have any organizational or OCD tendencies you will literally start twitching when you walk in the door. Can't say enough positive things about M&M though, we got a lot of machine work done there and they are an excellent business partner.

All of this ^^ :lol:

Bob Proffit @ Performance Research.

This is who i had do my 5.4 ford modular for me. Was highly recommended by my builder. He was talking to me about some LS motors he has done or was doing so i would gueas that wouldn't be an issue.

Only issue may be the timeline, he stays pretty busy and is mostly a 1 man show. But any good machine shop is going to be like that i guess?

Price was very reasonable too.

This is who i had do my 5.4 ford modular for me. Was highly recommended by my builder. He was talking to me about some LS motors he has done or was doing so i would gueas that wouldn't be an issue.

Only issue may be the timeline, he stays pretty busy and is mostly a 1 man show. But any good machine shop is going to be like that i guess?

Price was very reasonable too.

The last time I stopped in to see Bob, we chit chatted for a while and he had mentioned he has chilled out a bit and pretty much just takes on work that he wants to take, and that's about it.

I will say this, when he did my 4G63 motor like 5yrs+ ago, he did a good job. That motor held together for 3yrs with my throwing considerably more power at it than the parts I gave him were meant for. Eventually it broke a wrist pin on 4, but that's my fault for using pins that weren't up to the task I handed it.

Bob has a house slave or two down there that take some of the load off of him but generally speaking yes he only really takes work he wants to. Great guy though and excellent at what he does.

You will certainly be happy about what M&M does for you. Make sure to get a picture of his entrance way so those who have never been will understand what we are talking about! ;)

From my history with them they have gone out of the way for me. Part storage can be somewhat of an issue. But parts being picked up after machining were always in heavy duty plastic bags and exceptionally clean. Never had any issue with any of my parts there. Sometimes have issues getting a hold of Mike but going in usually is the best way to get a good idea on timing for being able to get work done. Usually always called me back within a day.