Anyone have a pool?

Jewtoys

House hunting, and the majority of things I've been considering have rather large in-ground pools.... I've never owned one of these money pits before, so seeking some input... Basic digging online says $100 in electricity for it, and $80-100 in service? Does that sound right? Seems too cheap....

Most people ive spoken with that have them say it cost about a a grand a year to maintain. Between electricity, chemicals and clean up. Also im sure your water bill will be higher.

Would this be open year round or shut down half the year due to winter?

We have a pool... electricity cost goes up about 100 a month, chemicals are expensive, and you are constantly cleaning it. With that being said, my girls are in it almost every night and they seem to love it. Also expect to either have it in direct sunlight (and the water will still be hard to keep warm) or invest in a pool heater which will raise the price as well...

We have a pool... electricity cost goes up about 100 a month, chemicals are expensive, and you are constantly cleaning it. With that being said, my girls are in it almost every night and they seem to love it. Also expect to either have it in direct sunlight (and the water will still be hard to keep warm) or invest in a pool heater which will raise the price as well...

I live in NC, our lake water is over 90 degrees all summer long... It's been 95+ daily for months here and humid.

I wouldn't mind doing that weekly services myself, my main concern was the electricity bill. I didn't want something insane like an added $400+ a month on top of the regular use.. Most people have been saying $80-100 a month, which is super cheap, zero issues with that..

not weekly maintenance... DAILY...

the water temp assuming you aren't in the shade should be similar temps as a lake... just keep in mind a lake is a larger body of water and will hold heat better.... the pool will cool quicker on multiple cloudy cool days.... to put in perspective... with some of our crazy weather, our pool FINALLY just got over 80 degrees

not weekly maintenance... DAILY...

the water temp assuming you aren't in the shade should be similar temps as a lake... just keep in mind a lake is a larger body of water and will hold heat better.... the pool will cool quicker on multiple cloudy cool days.... to put in perspective... with some of our crazy weather, our pool FINALLY just got over 80 degrees

Cloudy is still 85-90 here and humid......

Either way I would enjoy if it was under 80 but that would probably be at the edge of summer. Worst case I could get a heater....

Same here, I agree mostly above. I have a robot to clean and run it every other week for cleaning. Overall, not too much work. Plan to spend $300 to open the pool if you do it yourself and plan to spend around $250 to close it. Closing the pool is the real work due to blowing the water out the lines and putting antifreeze in the lines.

Don't get me wrong, we love our pool and put it in 9 years ago when the kids were young so we could get a lot of use from it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/RAS69/eb6fcfb5e4f853f5823b147337a27a02.jpg

Edited by RS69

If temperature is an issue a solar cover is affordable a month and well worth the purchase. My parents had one when we where growing up and really heats the pool up. We swam all the time when it was in the 70's and the water temperature would be warmer sometimes than the air temp.

Same here, I agree mostly above. I have a robot to clean and run it every other week for cleaning. Overall, not too much work. Plan to spend $300 to open the pool if you do it yourself and plan to spend around $250 to close it. Closing the pool is the real work due to blowing the water out the lines and putting antifreeze in the lines.

Don't get me wrong, we love our pool and put it in 9 years ago when the kids were young so we could get a lot of use from it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/RAS69/eb6fcfb5e4f853f5823b147337a27a02.jpg

Very nice. I'm in my 20s, so I will get plenty of use from it. Usually on the lake 3-5x a week anyways, this will be a nice option to add.

If temperature is an issue a solar cover is affordable a month and well worth the purchase. My parents had one when we where growing up and really heats the pool up. We swam all the time when it was in the 70's and the water temperature would be warmer sometimes than the air temp.

Not a bad idea. It stays pretty warm here in NC, our lake water has been 90+ for a few months.

Take into consideration the neighborhoods with these pools; are there lots of kids in the area? You'll want a high-ish fence (which may or may not look shitty). Insurance may be higher due to the liability. Pools need daily care. Shit will go wrong and when it does it'll be expensive.

not a fan of the solar cover... we would end up with grass clippings all over it, you have to keep it in the shade when not covering the pool or the little air things will pop, and it didn't really warm the water much... now the solar cover stays rolled up in the garage out back.

walmart pools do have pumps, but I'd imaging they are junk considering the cost.... My bug issue is no better or worse since getting a pool... we do seem to see alot more june bugs floating dead in the water though.

Take into consideration the neighborhoods with these pools; are there lots of kids in the area? You'll want a high-ish fence (which may or may not look shitty). Insurance may be higher due to the liability. Pools need daily care. Shit will go wrong and when it does it'll be expensive.

The backyard is rather large, and has a nice treeline around the whole property. The pool area is also fenced in.

I understand things will break, basically will treat it as a toy. My largest concern was just a crazy $400+ electricity bill from the pool alone, but it seems $100 is probably going to be on point which isn't bad at all.

The backyard is rather large, and has a nice treeline around the whole property. The pool area is also fenced in.

I understand things will break, basically will treat it as a toy. My largest concern was just a crazy $400+ electricity bill from the pool alone, but it seems $100 is probably going to be on point which isn't bad at all.

In your area the bills shouldn't be that high. When I was growing up we had a 40k gallon pool in the backyard with an attached hot tub that was nice.

not to mention the health benefits, there are few things that provide as exhausting a full-body workout with as little impact as swimming laps.