Alphabet Soup is almost gone, only CTS and V left.

Draco-REX

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you driven one?

It's a super high rpm engine, that requires serious motivation to keep it boiled and pulling hard. I wouldn't be surprised if the s5 feels faster in real world daily driving. You really have to Rev this car out for it to feel fast.

Also do your research on the rod bearings.

I learned to keep a high revving engine in its sweet spot with the BRZ, but I'll get a test when it shows up. As for the rod bearing issue, from what I've read, it doesn't seem to be a common issue, and it happen mostly in the earlier E90 engines. I'll look a bit more into it.

like the top end of a cylinder head eating itself?? that would be horrible

M3 is a very nice choice though. i say do eeeet

:fuuuu:

To be honest, it isn't just failures that have driven me away, but also a lot of questionable design decisions and general annoyances.

White, yes. Tan, no. Can't stand tan interiors in anything but a Ferrari or an air cooled Porsche.

I'm trying to hate it. It looks like a nice car for sure. I would rather have a V8/10 with some torque though, for exactly what Aaron mentioned.

As above, I don't think it will be an issue. But I'll be sure on the test drive. For 51k CarMax better let me put it through its paces.

Have you driven one?

It's a super high rpm engine, that requires serious motivation to keep it boiled and pulling hard. I wouldn't be surprised if the s5 feels faster in real world daily driving. You really have to Rev this car out for it to feel fast.

Also do your research on the rod bearings.

hey, it sounds great though. :dumb:

honestly if you've driven it and love it, go for it. i've been bothered in the past with domestic cars, but the v was the best domestic i owned by an order of magnitude. the only gripe i had was the small gas tank, and it could have used an 8speed auto--i wasn't interested in the manual, but the manual would have been better.

you should drive both cars. my buddy was in the market for a bmw, and he drove the M3 and 6 series. he hated the M3.

Beautiful cars, do it! I won't be surprised at all to see these be collector's cars in the near future.

Where were you six months ago with this shit, you dick?

I was shopping hard on these before I ended up in another 5.0. They're really cool cars. Rymer scared me away talking about engine and valve train issues.

The paperwork came through and I was able to take it for a short test drive after work. I'd like a better test drive, but there just wasn't much time and traffic was killer. Lots of good, and lots of bad.

The good:

• It really is a great car. It drives well and has almost every creature comfort. I was especially surprised when the car HANDED ME my seatbelt! LOL.
  • The ride was very nice in comfort mode. I do think it rode better than my S5.
  • It wasn't bad in traffic.
  • Like the Audi, it was a nice place to be inside.

The bad:

• For 250 wtq, I was expecting a bit more punch. It's not a deal breaker by any means; it didn't feel under-powered, just not as punchy as I thought it would be. (You were right Aaron).
  • The seating position feels kinda high. That struck me as odd, but I can get used to it.
  • The front bumper was repainted. Looked like the shop didn't fully strip the bumper to paint it either.

The REALLY bad:

• Someone drove this thing over a parking block or up a pole. There was damage under the front bumper and the oil cooler was bent upwards like a rainbow. THIS is a potential deal killer. The oil cooler and associated aero has to be replaced at a minimum. The radiator and radiator support needs to be checked too. CarMax will have to take care of this or come WAY down on the price or I'll have to pass on this car.

This sucks. It's a beautiful car. At first look I was going to drive it tonight and likely buy it tomorrow. After the drive, I was tempted to see if I could get it done tonight and drive it home. But once I took a good look underneath, now I'm not sure I want this particular car. :( Grrrr..