2003 5.9l motor rebuild help. Shops?

dakotart

I'm looking for a local shop to do a stock rebuild on a 2003 5.9l Dakota motor. Need it done in the next few weeks and looking for a shop. Any vendor want to send me a quote?

Symptoms: low compression on 2 cylinders (good cylinder between them) have swapped head gasket and head. Same issue. Showing about 100 psi vs 160-170 on good cylinders. Should just need rings but need taken rest of way apart to be sure.

Send me a Pm if you can do it and I'll call you.

• 5 weeks later...

Best of luck finding a place worth spending your money, once you get into machine work (I wouldn't rebuild an engine that a machinist hasn't at least looked at and signed off on) you start involving at least two shops. Getting that kind of work done is hard when just about everyone would quote you a reman engine or used because a rebuild is really a lost art.

Please let me know if you find a shop willing to do it properly and that does a good job, I doubt short of a race shop that there isn't much of anything out there to meet your needs.

I rebuild diesel engines because its more cost effective. However with gas engines its usually cheaper to drop in a crate engine in the long run.

I was not planning on buying a brand new/reman motor and finding a used on with 50k miles is unlikely. I had a guy who does builds on the side quote me 1,000-1,500 but would take him a month.

I rebuild diesel engines because its more cost effective. However with gas engines its usually cheaper to drop in a crate engine in the long run.

Well this too. By the time you could pay my labor to tear it down, pay the machine shop, pay me to put the engine together and reinstall it isn't very cost effective. My first post was really lacking in the reason why.

Well this too. By the time you could pay my labor to tear it down, pay the machine shop, pay me to put the engine together and reinstall it isn't very cost effective. My first post was really lacking in the reason why.

I'm not sure what/how much machine work needs done. The top of the piston isn't broken, there are still hone marks on the cylinder walls and the engine was still running before I tore it part way down.

I'm not sure what/how much machine work needs done. The top of the piston isn't broken, there are still hone marks on the cylinder walls and the engine was still running before I tore it part way down.

I would want the block measured to make sure things are in spec, and honed. I am not into backyard cheap rebuilds, so I always involve a machine shop. While it is possible to measure yourself, it is simply not cost effective to own all the right tools to do it once in a while.

I bought a rebuild kit on ebay, and did mine myself. I think it spent around 800 all said and done?

It is in my 600 dollar beach truck.

Made it from Alabama to Texas towing 5k pounds... has been running for 4 years now? I have also let it bounce off the reve limited a few dozen times... Easy motor to rebuild.

I had a guy who does builds on the side quote me 1,000-1,500 but would take him a month.

If you're talking about Tom Filbert out in Marysville I'd go to him.

He's helped out on all my old 360, 408 builds, T-56 rebuilds and what not for my Dakota's. He uses Kammer and Kammer in Dayton for machine work and has a good relationship with them, they know small block magnums.

If you're talking about Tom Filbert out in Marysville I'd go to him.

He's helped out on all my old 360, 408 builds, T-56 rebuilds and what not for my Dakota's. He uses Kammer and Kammer in Dayton for machine work and has a good relationship with them, they know small block magnums.

That might be who it is. His forum name was "Filthy Filbert"