Buying high mileaged used GMC Envoy XUV - advice/guidance

Slimpsy1647545505

Hey all. My wife and I recently moved to the country and I'd like to get a decent used 4x4 for out here on a budget. I've been doing some suv shopping lately and I've narrowed down my choice to a good used GMC Envoy. I found an XUV - original owner - 2004 XUV SLT 4WD 4.2L. It has 185,000 miles, but owner says it was all highway commute. I've checked it out and it runs strong with no signs of leaking or weird noises. The AC isn't working, but all belts look good with no whining from anything so maybe just needs recharged? Owner wasn't sure. Shifts smooth and from what I can tell has been well cared for.

I know a used vehicle is only as good as the owner who treated it right. They say they have performed all maintenance and regularly changed oil every 3K. Would any of you hesitate to buy an Envoy with such high miles? What would be a good ballpark figure for this vehicle if you made an offer on it? Are there any "hidden" problematic areas I should be looking at? I'm ready to commit. . just want to do all my research first!

Thanks for any and all advice/opinions!

Don't get me started on GM's junk midsize crap, just run away. At that mileage it'll nickel and dime you to death.

I have no experience with GMC. . . are they that bad? The research I've done on the 4200 vortec engines say they are pretty solid for 200K and beyond if well maintained?

I have no experience with GMC. . . are they that bad? The research I've done on the 4200 vortec engines say they are pretty solid for 200K and beyond if well maintained?

The engine is decent, however most of the crap bolted to it isn't. Exhaust manifolds crack a lot, air injection components fail, serp system noises, intake vacuum leaks, and I've seen a handfull of burnt valves. Not to mention the rest of the truck isn't any better, like I said nickel and dime. I work on them alot, I get parts as cheap as anyone and I wouldn't keep one I got for free.

The engine is decent, however most of the crap bolted to it isn't. Exhaust manifolds crack a lot, air injection components fail, serp system noises, intake vacuum leaks, and I've seen a handfull of burnt valves. Not to mention the rest of the truck isn't any better, like I said nickel and dime. I work on them alot, I get parts as cheap as anyone and I wouldn't keep one I got for free.

Well that sucks. Seemed like a nice ride on paper. Well then. . on to the next find!

Thanks for your advice and saving me from a bad purchase!

Don't get me started on GM's junk midsize crap, just run away. At that mileage it'll nickel and dime you to death.

I don't understand the point of those things. I would much rather get a Tahoe/Yukon

What he said.

Yes RUN away! I see these often with problems in my service dept.

Joe

These, Save up for a decent Tahoe, Yukon, etc. and save yourself some serious grief.

I would look for a Cherokee Sport or GC with the 4.0 in it.

What he said.

I learned the hard way. My TB started nickel and diming me at 90k miles until the transmission completely crapped out on me at 110k miles. I can only imagine something with 100k more miles.

Last few we had in for the XUV specific parts (mid-window, rear hatch) got very expensive to repair. some of the parts aren't even available anymore.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I think in the past 5 years I've only ever seen 1 or 2 of the XUVs in the shop. Last thing I'd want is that option on top of the regular junk.