Lettuce discuss second and third guns

Cordell

So I don't want to clutter up Mojoe's thread on carry guns so I figured I'd start my own.

So I took Mojoe's basic pistol class with my wife last month, had a good time, and learned a lot. I already have a S&W 22a which I like as a target pistol, it's cheap, doesn't jam, my wife likes it, and cheap to shoot make it a great gun to take to the range and put ammo through. I borrowed a Ruger SR22 neither my wife or I like it. It doesn't fit her hand, seems more sensitive to cheap ammo so it jammed a few times and was hard to clear. I'm ready to buy my own larger then 22 handgun. I have shot and liked my Dad's S&W M&P 40, but I didn't like his 9mm sheild. I have shot a Springfeild XD-S 40 (too big in a compact IMHO) it was fun but not well controlled.

After my little bit of backround story, I'm leaning toward getting a 9mm. I'm not positive on what, and would love to hear some opinions. I'm considering something that isn't compact, like the regular M&P 9, or an XD. I want a CCW gun and don't think I can have both in the same gun, opinions? I am starting to feel like I don't like compact and subcompact handguns.

Also how do I know that a gun's sights are lined up correctly? May sound like a dumb question, but I'm still pretty much a noob. It's just odd to me that I'm on target with my 22, but shoot my Dad's guns and I'm off to the left. I could see up or down but I corrected that after shooting it some.

I carry a full size mp9 owb concealed.

I'm 5'7" 140lbs.

I installed the apex dcaek trigger in both of my mp9 as the stock trigger is very gritty.

To check your sights shoot your pistol off the bag to take shooter error out of the equation.

I'll vote for the mp9, sig p320, any kahr.

Look into subcompact Walther's and Glocks. Been around for years with no issues. S&W is okay but I am just biased.

You need to look at where you get steady grouping to figure out if the sights are truly off. As stated use a pistol bag and shoot at the same distance on a few fresh targets and make small adjustments from there. That has worked well for me on a few pistols I own. Not sure if it is the "right" method but doesn't matter to me, they are all dead on and throw good groups.

Don't know much about Glock. Is their model numbers supposed to mean something? Anyway the 19 and 43 look interesting, something to consider.

Why do I keep hearing about Kahr? I had never even heard of them until recently, makes me uneasy buying a brand I've never even heard of.

Don't know much about Glock. Is their model numbers supposed to mean something? Anyway the 19 and 43 look interesting, something to consider.

Why do I keep hearing about Kahr? I had never even heard of them until recently, makes me uneasy buying a brand I've never even heard of.

I have a glock 19 and 43 you can handle / we can go shoot sometime. Both are great guns. 19 is a perfect range / home protection g43 is a perfect carry gun.

In my opinion anyways.

I didnt want to be a glock fanboi but I have never had any issue out of any of my glocks. Very reliable.

Parents just got a glock 43 and I really like it. 6+1 single stack 9mm would be the perfect cc weapon, although capacity is on low side. I really like the shield 9mm as well, probably between those 2 when I grab my next one.

My groupings when I was new to shooting were left and down about 2 inches, and I thought it was the gun (m&p 9c). After some quick googling I realized it was due to a trigger issue on my part. I wasnt using the pad of my finger and pulling straight back, I was pivoting/squeezing on my base knuckle causing the gun to be pulled down and left.

My quick 2 cents.

I've shot my 9c the most and have never had any kind off issue whatsoever.

We had a bodyguard 380. Hated it. Sold it.

Carried a little stainless Walther, it was cool but heavy.

Carry a J frame smith a lot. Nothing bad I can say about it.

Wife carries a Kimber micro (think shrunken down 1911). Love it.

I just picked up a glock 42. Very impressed with it.

Have tried carrying full size m&p 9 and 45, just too big for me.

I've also carried a ruger sr22 before on the odd day. ;)

If you want to shoot my full size M&P let me know. I love it, fits my hand great, shoots nice and it has ate every type of ammo I put through it.

I shot Dad's fullsize M&P 40 this morning I really liked the feel of the gun, so a similar 9mm is on my short list, I just don't want to miss anything hence why I made this thread.

However if any of my friends want to take me shooting I'll gladly go. :D

I shot Dad's fullsize M&P 40 this morning I really liked the feel of the gun, so a similar 9mm is on my short list, I just don't want to miss anything hence why I made this thread.

However if any of my friends want to take me shooting I'll gladly go. :D

Well, we can buy some anmmo and shoot some of my junk, shotgun, AR, 9mm, and the tacticool 22 ruger.

You can definitely carry a full size 9mm with a proper holster and a quality GUN belt. Whether you get a full size or not I would say both of these items are necessary, the belt being the most important IMO.

Keep in mind that you're buying your gun as a tool, it's not always about it being fun to shoot at the range. If you feel uncomfortable carrying a full size then look for something smaller. On that note I carry the full size mp9 because I feel most comfortable with it and I can conceal it just fine. I definitely print depending on my shirt that day.

Check out Glock, I hate the way they feel in my hand and got rid of mine but, they're reliable and go bang. If you like it at all and think it fits your hand well, it should probably be number 1 on your list of considerations. Mags are cheap, upgrades, parts and accessories are everywhere

If you like the feel of the P320 I highly recommend it for a first time buyer. You can buy X-Change kits for it and convert it from 9mm to .40 cal to .357 sig in less than 5 minutes. It has the best stock trigger of any striker gun I've used. There is a "carry" option with a full size grip, compact slide length, which you might like. It's new on the market so different sized grip modules and accessories are more difficult to come by.

If you want you can try my MP9 with Apex DCAEK trigger kit in it. The stock trigger in the MP series is horrendous and was the only thing that turned me away from them initially. The trigger kits are inexpensive and you can put it in yourself.

HK- they're sweet but I won't condition myself to that mag release.

Buy the largest modern striker fired 9mm you can conceal. Buy the one that not only feels good in your hand but feels good to you while shooting it.

Scott, I love seeing your new interest in this. We talk this all the time, capacity wins 90% of scenarios. Single stacks fit your hands well and conceal well. But, the good ends there for the most part. I favor the Glock 19, Ruger SR9c, and the like. Stick to a 9mm round for so many reasons, it's an entirely different thread. Striker fire, no hammer, is going to streamline your actions when you need it. If you're thinking personal safety/conceal carry, you have to think in a combat pistol mindset. Meaning, your gun of choice needs to be able to be efficient and your actions to deploy it need to be streamlined, to include looking at a gun with no safety. Proper training will bypass the mechanical safety of a gun. But, you must train.

Don't mess with the sights. 99.999999999% of the time the sights are fine out of the box for most people. If you get into competitive shooting, your needs may change. Chances are, with your dad's M&P 40, you likely didn't have enough finger on the trigger, and you were pushing the trigger with the pull. Given it's a .40, most newer shooters will anticipate recoil, and squeeze the trigger too fast. The M&P trigger is known for many to have an issue with getting good finger placement on the trigger. Especially on follow up shots, when many shooters have shifted their grip. Slow everything down, and then, go even slower.

Second gun is a shotgun. The debate can go on forever for which one there. Again get the most capacity. Remington 870's can be had in the $300's. Mossberg 500's are there too, but I do not like the safety location and the release on those and sold the one I had.

Get an AR or an AK. Just do it. Don't spend $1000. Many people here can point you in the right direction, and of course Howard and I are here to help also.

Go to the range and train, train, train. Don't go and shoot. Go train, then you can have fun shooting. 1500 rounds for the pistol and the rifle should get you in the know. 500 on the shotty will break it in and have you comfortable.

I just spent $2500, between ammo and guns, for you in this post. Have a good day.

Edited by Mojoe

I appreciate all the good input. Having shot a few M&Ps and Springfields I know I like that type of gun, striker fire, easy to use, so I've been leaning that way. I think I need to try a couple Glocks before I buy.

Joe you have been very helpful, and would love to shoot with you some more, maybe we can work out something for some one on one training. I want to get good at it, not just sufficient.

Also, what is a realistic training schedule? I shot almost 400 rounds yesterday and I was pretty tired, but kept working at keeping my fundamentals together. That was all 22 and I tried the other guns in addition.

If you don't like small guns don't buy one. My preference is glock. They are ugly but fit my hands the best. They always work. I can't say the same for the kel-tec and sigs I have owned. Your experience may vary. You have to either rent from a range or bring some CR buddies shooting and try everything. I would suggest you start with 9mm as a 2nd handgun. Glock 17 if it fits in your hands. Whatever you feel is most comfortable that is what you need to buy. Only you can figure out what that is with testing.

Take me out sometime. I have a glock 21, 26, and a sig p238. You can try all of them I don't mind.

Shooting is a perishable skill. I catch myself going a couple weeks without shooting because, life happens. But, to learn it or maintain a certain level of ability, you have to put in the time and money. Think of it like running, you have to run the miles to get comfortable. It can be very frustrating for some people, but others have no issue at all. Scott, you did very well from the start. So for you it's a matter of the time you have to shoot, the money you want to put into it, and what level of shooter you want to get to. Gun's are an investment that require throw away money to enjoy. You need ammo, and once you use it, it is gone. A realistic schedule depends on you. We can talk that off line, but it sounds like you're on the right track. When Howard and I were setting up the Pistol 1 class one day, I did 3.5 hours of drills and stress shooting, and went through 500 rounds of pistol ammo. Many people aren't going to shoot like that. But, I just want to give you a perspective of where it can end up.

I can work something out to focus on what you want and do some one on one training. It doesn't need to be an all day thing. Most people one on one classes are three hour sessions on just what you want to work on. I would definitely look to the Pistol one class to cover down on drills you can do also.