Looking for replacement EJ253 (SOHC) engine

Toph6888

Brother's outback's engine took a crap this weekend, so trying to help him find a spare engine so that we can swap it out. Its a 2005, so looking preferably for a longblock ej253 engine, but if we can't find that then we would like to get a shortblock and will rebuild it.

Wondering if anyone knows any place in columbus that has subaru engines for sale, so far ebay and picknpull/pullapart haven't had much to go on. Any thoughts on places to pick up an engine for around 1000-1500 or less would be great.

cylinders 1 and 3 missfiring. Haven't gotten the full story from him (hes not a car person so doesn't really know how to convey what the shop that looked at it told him) but from what I got apparently it somehow leaked oil, lost pressure, and rod knock on 1 and 3 from no oil. So yah, pretty much shot.

The subaru engines apparently are made of gold cause cheapest I can find with around 100k on it is around $1500-1600 before shipping. Trying to get a quote on that one.

Only other option seems to be to find a decent condition shortblock (apparently the EJ251/252/253 all share the same shortblock) and then get the stock heads cleaned up, full gasket set, new oil pump/pickup, and then just rebuild it from there. Still looking like that option would be around $1500-2000 though.

THe car is a 2005 black on black outback. Brakes are still new, cv axles all the way around are new and never really had any issues. Car has around 180k on it, and I hate to see it go to waste since it is a really nice car even though KBB says its only worth $4k in private sale. Not to mention it has two sets of new tires (bridgestone all seasons and a blizzak set on steelies that were new last year). I still think it would be worth fixing but hes in a bind so will have to see what happens in terms of timing/price.

That's some high pricing. We bought a engine with like 34k on it for 1100 shipped

They bcsn be found, just have to do the homework. Where is the car currently?

Subies are essentially Legos- many peices fit together- just need the right combos

Check with the COS Facebook group