Cordcutters Resources

mrs.cos

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this thread was just a constant reminder of what I've been thinking about for months, if not years.

Our contract expires with U-Verse on the 22nd so we've already told them we want to cancel, we've been paying $125/month for years and I'm over it. Rarely watch TV and have both Netflix and Amazon Prime as well.

Quick searching around found WOW 30mb internet for $25/month if you have your own modem. Just signed up for that tonight and they are coming to install this week.

That means I need to buy a modem this weekend....recommendations on what and where to buy?

Also....I think I want Slingbox, $20/month seems worth it for all those shows.

So we're going from $125/month to $45/month and about the only thing I feel like I'm giving up is DVR. I think I'll survive.

:thumbup:

We opted for the Surfboard

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/

WOW has a upgraded DOCSIS system so you have to make sure your modem is cmpatable with them (they have a list - quick google search brings it up)

The only issue i hvae with it is the Blue LED's are SO DAMN BRIGHT. (i have taped them off)

And the price is different if you want white vs black box.

Microcenter was the cheapest, iirc.

WOW has a upgraded DOCSIS system so you have to make sure your modem is cmpatable with them (they have a list - quick google search brings it up)

The only issue i hvae with it is the Blue LED's are SO DAMN BRIGHT. (i have taped them off)

Get the 6183 if you want to have WOWs fastest service

Get the 6183 if you want to have WOWs fastest service

You mean fastest for whatever tier you are on, or you only need that one if you want the 300mbs service?

Just a friendly reminder to call in and bitch about your bill. I did thanks to this thread. I'm pretty passive about things like that and like to set everything up automatic and have to do as little as possible. I'm pretty furstrated we were paying $52/month, just raised to $55/month last month for 15down/1up when new customers get 30/5 for $25/month for the first year. I'm most unhappy that we didn't automatically get upgraded when the bumped up the speed on the pricing tiers. Apparently our current rental modem doesn't support 30/5 so my guess is they just left us at the lower speed. :dumb:

I had been thinking there was little way we could reduce our base level of spending (things like mortgage, utilities, etc) without losing a service we want. I was feeling good about that. But in a month or so time span we will cut our phone bills in about half with going to Google Fi and making a 10 minute phone call to Wow. :)

Went to Microcenter today.

Talked to a couple of guys who sounded knowledgeable and they pointed me to a Zoom Cable Modem and a Tenda AC1900 router. Came to just over $180 for the pair but they assured me both were good products and it was worth the cost.

This is all new to me, and sounds expensive, but what do I know? My question is I could get all this directly from WOW for only $10/month, so my break-even on these gadgets is 19months, that's assuming neither have any issues in the time frame either AND are still compatible/good for whatever internet they offer in nearly 2 years. Is everyone doing this/spending about this much on the equipment? I just want to make sure it's worth it vs just renting the equipment and leaving the hassle up to WOW.

You mean fastest for whatever tier you are on, or you only need that one if you want the 300mbs service?

Just for the 300mbps service. The other modem will get you close to that, but the 6183 will consistently perform.

Went to Microcenter today.

Talked to a couple of guys who sounded knowledgeable and they pointed me to a Zoom Cable Modem and a Tenda AC1900 router. Came to just over $180 for the pair but they assured me both were good products and it was worth the cost.

They only "sounded" knowledgeable if they recommended you those products. The modem is probably okay, but that Tenda is not going to reach its break even point...

For the same price, I'd really recommend this bundle http://www.amazon.com/SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-NETGEAR-Gigabit/dp/B016P8RHHO

Also, now I'm thinking about the local channels...what antenna is a good one? Trying to get this all setup this week before we lose AT&T.

We just have the Amazon Best Seller Antenna-

We have a house antenna to put on, but the only reason we are doing that is because our TV room is below ground and there arent any windows near by to give us a better signal.

my only hangup is this- THe booster uses an outlet and it comes with a very short cord to reach an outlet, but the picture is pretty good IMHO.

Im sure there are better but for now this works for us.

They only "sounded" knowledgeable if they recommended you those products. The modem is probably okay, but that Tenda is not going to reach its break even point...

For the same price, I'd really recommend this bundle http://www.amazon.com/SURFboard-SB6183-DOCSIS-NETGEAR-Gigabit/dp/B016P8RHHO

Hummmm, ok thanks for info. Unfortunately that bundle is no longer available.

We get rid of cable every once in a while. If it were up to me I'd not have it, but wife likes watching those chick shows on TLC, ID, ect. Though what she means by watching is sleeping with the TV on. The kids and I watch Netflix, amazon, and lately I've been watching a lot of documentaries on YOUTUBE when I do watch TV which is almost never.

We cut cable in April and bought the Surfboard 6121. We have WOW 30mb for $30 a month and actually just got a letter in the mail that for no additional cost they doubled our speed so I am seeing 60mb down and 3mb up. No issue streaming whatsoever. Here is our list:

Sling $20

Hulu $9

Netflix $9

Amazon Prime $69 for the year. Signed up when they had that one day deal last month.

I like that fact that watch ESPN App can be used with Sling login too.

We have Apple TV, Roku 3 and Chromecast stick so we are covered. Actually like the Roku 3 as there are more Apps. If you have an Android Device and want to watch British TV for free I recommend Mediahhh app. I have been watching the Rugby World Cup matches which has been great for free.

With the kids I thought it was going to be tough to cut cable but with all the content out there to stream it is no issue. Most of the Nick shows are on Amazon and Netflix has a good variety too. Plus PBS Kids is free. I put an HD Antenna in the Attic and we have around 40 over the air channels. The quality of ABC, NBC and Fox is as good if not clearer than cable plus we are saving about $75 a month. Cannot complain.

^^^what router do you have? I like the price on the surfboard. Ideally I'd like to get everything for under $150, modem/router/antenna....but is that unrealistic?

So far Surfboard 6121....$70, Amazon antenna for $18, that leaves $62 for a router...any ideas?

Woot has reconditioned cable modems up for sale today. Surfboard, DOCSIS 3, etc...

http://www.woot.com/plus/motorola-surfboard-cable-modems-8

I was going to do the SB6141 and TP-Link Archer C7, based on recommendations here and The Wire Cutter. Our wireless router is old, so it could use upgraded too. This seems a lot cheaper and I'm not a speed demon, don't do host anything, game, etc. We also don't have a huge house, so speed at a far distance isn't a big issue. Just some simple streaming and net browsing. This seems like a smoking good deal, but someone earlier didn't like the idea of combined router/modems.

What's everyone think about this guy for that type of use?

Will we miss having wireless AC? N seems plenty fast if we have 30mbps service from our provider. Our main 'laptop' is a Chromebook 2 and we have 2 Nexus 5x on order so our devices are AC capable. I think our TV only has N, which we do most of our streaming directly to the TV.

http://www.woot.com/offers/arris-motorola-cable-modem-wi-fi-router-5?ref=cnt_wp_0_2

^^^what router do you have? I like the price on the surfboard. Ideally I'd like to get everything for under $150, modem/router/antenna....but is that unrealistic?

So far Surfboard 6121....$70, Amazon antenna for $18, that leaves $62 for a router...any ideas?

I have an older router, it is a Linksys WRT160N, works great no issues. I did spend a bit on an HD Antenna and got a ClearStream 2V as I wanted to mount it in the attic. Looking on Amazon there are a few decent Linksys routers that could be picked up for the price you mentioned. I was surprised to see mine on there still I have had it for over 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly.

How is Sling TV? I watch a lot of football this time of year, so the ESPN channels and SEC Network are necessary. I'm pretty sure they are on Sling, so I'm considering giving it a shot

It's good, but not great, and sometimes it can be very annoying.

Why it's good: you get a bunch of sports channels and then a couple of other relatively cool channels (like AMC and TBS) for relatively cheap.

Why it's not great: because sometimes it can be very annoying.

Why it's sometimes very annoying: because the signal will cut in and out on you periodically, and sometimes channels won't even load. Like, for instance, last night we all sat down to watch The Walking Dead - a big perk for us, since we love that show. However, the channel wouldn't load. Nope, just frozen, can't open the AMC channel, so we are just sitting there hopelessly/angrily watching a blank screen while we are sure the show has already started. That has happened probably 10 times over the past two months or so that I have had it when it really annoyed me. (It probably happened twice that many times, but I didn't care that much to be annoyed by it.) Obviously, if my kids are full-on iPad streaming mode and the wife is full-on Instragram/FB/whatever mode, then that will cause some disruption to the quality/stream. However, even with everyone in the household off of devices, it still periodically freezes up (like it did last night with TWD).

Overall: try it out, see if you can live with the annoyances, and go from there. They offer a free trial period, and that gives you plenty of time to try it out and see if it's going to work for you. I know Sling TV got some bad reviews, which were kind of in line with my criticisms: it's great when it works, but it doesn't always work like it should.

Bonus: you can watch Sling TV on your mobile device, which is cool, as I can stream The Bourne Identity as I'm sitting in the airport in Atlanta.

61 per month after taxes. I get Basic tv and 20mb on Time Warner. 1-22 is plenty of channels. And I use KODI/XBMC mod for streaming every show that I want. (also movies.)

Kodi is free. The new version once modded is really reliable.