Toyota S-FR

zeitgeist57

Lightweight and cheap is what the Mustang/Camaro USED to be

When was that exactly? First generation the camaro carried on average 300 lbs over the nova platform it was originally based on. It also carried a premium price tag. From 1st to 3rd gen camaro hovered around 3300lbs-3500lbs, sure lighter than today but when you consider a full frame A-body was maybe 100lbs-200lbs heavier it doesn't seem like that light a car. Only time I can think of the mustang being "cheap", "light", and "performance were the 5.0 fox body LX cars which were comparatively cheaper than the GT due to options bloat on the GT, notch back was lighter than the hatch and the car was nearly as light as other Japanese cars, and they were v8 manual trans available independent of any other options.

I get in the used market third gen slick roof F bodies and LX notch mustangs may have been considered light cheap fun but that might have more to do with 200hp ratings, marginal build quality of 1980's. any lightness came from stripping all the crap out of the insides of them. Comparing them to new light roadsters with full interiors seems displaced.

I see this more along the lines of the 2 seat mercury capri, the fiero, the 1st gen Mr2, and other 2 seat sporty "commuters". out of all the previous small 2 seaters the miata was the only one that was truly successful and it was for reasons other than being a performance vehicle. I would like to see this succeed, I just don't see it as being likely.

Looks just like a new age S800, why not call it the Toyota S800 then? Retro is cool right?

I'll be interested when I see them coming in. I wouldn't get my hopes up, it'll be several years I'd imagine. Hope it comes in a targa top.

You guys are bishing too much about that grille. Assuming the factory is plastic, I'm just not a fan of how cheap it looks. The aftermarket would come up with a suitable "enhancement" for it. How about a retro metal insert??? I'll just leave this here for ideas:

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/uploads/az-15_lr.jpg

I really like the concept of cheap, light weight, and low power. Cars like that can be really fun, ie early Miata. You feel like you're going faster then you are because it has to try harder then something like my Corvette. That approach is great for someone like me who drives too damn fast anyway. I just hate the way that car looks, and a Miata sells plenty of cars simply because it's a convertible, add in the fact that it's a great handling car and it's no wonder it has stuck around appealing to many people. So how that car could possibly have the sales to keep it around when it will only kind of compete with a Miata is beyond me, and why I'd be surprised to see it in the US when most people can't appreciate a car like that anyway.

and now that I'm done being serious, fuck it, it's ugly, it's a Toyota, it sucks.