College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you guys are underestimating the committee's willingness to shuffle the rankings. It's clear they aren't just looking at the AP and coaches poll. I think they toss Ohio state from top 4 (and they will be justified doing it - Ohio State as they sit right now looks pedestrian at best). Just because Ohio State was 3 this week doesn't mean they need to stay close to that next week. Stare decisis is not the committee's calling card, in my opinion.

Baylor did nothing to jump OSU

Yeah, I don't know what people are thinking saying Baylor will go ahead of OSU. They beat KSU by a TD.

Baylor didn't lose with their back up. That's about important enough

OSU did exactly the same thing. Backup QB in, just don't lose. And they did it against a much better defense*.

Baylor went out there and really showed everyone what they're made of. They walked into Manhattan, Kansas against only the 2nd top 100 defense they've faced all season and came out with a really impressive 7-point win.

*Minnesota's defense is 24th nationally

Am I the only one who thinks 1-loss teams (looking at you, Bama...) shouldn't even be mentioned for the top 4, especially with this many games left? Bama has a (quality...) loss, and they're still being ranked as high as they are? Fuck them. Better luck next year. Or, murder ever everybody like OSU did and squeak in at the last possible minute.

Am I the only one who thinks 1-loss teams (looking at you, Bama...) shouldn't even be mentioned for the top 4, especially with this many games left? Bama has a (quality...) loss, and they're still being ranked as high as they are? Fuck them. Better luck next year. Or, murder ever everybody like OSU did and squeak in at the last possible minute.

The only thing I will say is Bama's defense seems to be on another level right now. I know LSU riding their RB's back right now but they completely shut the run game down. Bama is probably doing exactly what you said, beat everyone soundly and hope they get in.

You and your wife have a good time?

I had a fucking blast and great seats, but my wife didn't go. She said it was too cold and was whining, so I brought a friend (Steve-O). Defeated the purpose of buying them but I had a great time. Thanks man.

LSU is a 1 trick pony, stop Fournette and you beat them. Alabama just had the defensive line that was able to do that. I'm hoping FSU beats Florida. Florida then beats Bama (assuming they win west). Sec is left out of playoffs or committee is shown to be a fraud for favoring a 2 loss sec champ (Florida).

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings

I'm pleasantly surprised by Ohio State being ranked #3. It means, to me, Ohio State has some clout with the committee. Personally, I don't think Ohio State deserves to be #3, but I'll take it nonetheless.

Some other thoughts:

- I think the committee has it right: (1) Clemson (2) Alabama (3) Ohio State (4) Notre Dame

- I love to see Iowa sneaking up there to #5. I think Barry and Tom are probably lobbying hard (read: throwing around their weight) on the committee for the B10 teams.

-If Iowa wins out, and Ohio State does too, I think it pretty much guarantees a B10 in the final 4.

-The winner of the Notre Dame/Stanford game is looking like a lock for the final 4, provided both win out.

-with Alabama at #2, it's clear to me that the playoff is okay with bad losses early. The precedent was set with Ohio State last year, and the message is being sent loud and clear with Alabama this year. Also, I agree with them: losses shouldn't count as much as what they have in the past (like in the BCS system). Over the years, I have seen some of the best teams in the nation playing the best ball at the end of the year that have a loss on their resume, like 2000 Miami and 2008 USC. I'm cool with Alabama at #2. They certainly look the part according to my eyes.

-it's clear the playoff committee doesn't favor the B12. And I'm fine with that, too. I think there's an excellent chance they get left out again this year, and even if they have an undefeated champion.

-Here's who will definitely be in if they win out:

-Clemson

-Ohio State

-Alabama

-Notre Dame

I don't see how you move any of those teams out in favor for anyone else if those four teams don't lose again. Do you?

Somehow 1 loss Alabama jumps us :dumb:

Congrats Bama, you beat an LSU team that literally is one deminsional on offense. Unfortunately, the SEC is trash (compared to years past) this year and if Alabama is overrated it won't show until the playoff. I personally believe Alabama is a good team, but for some reason they automatically get a pass having a loss. I mean if Ohio State loses a game, we probably drop out of the top 8 and we are the defending national champs. I'm just not exactly sure how this makes sense. If nothing less, put Notre Dame ahead of us. They have more quality wins than Bama and their only loss is to the committees #1 team. My point is, the fix is in and it's clear.

I think the top four teams are right just in a different order. I think it should be

Clemson

Ohio state

Bama

Notre dame

Although I hope the final order is

Clemson

Ohio state

Notre dame

Alabama

That would set up some epic match ups for semi finals and possible NCG

Could you imagine a Clemson vs Bama and Ohio state vs notre dame with a Ohio state vs Bama NCG.

I truly feel bad for the Big XII. The committee is making a statement that it does not give a single fuck about that conference and they WILL be left out, unless everyone else loses. I'm okay with Bama moving up now that they have a signature win, but they STILL have a loss - we can argue quality losses at the end of the season, but for now, we still have at least 4 respectable unbeatens. Notre Dame's is the only one that I can even remotely see being overlooked at the moment, strictly because of who they lost to, and by how much. They don't need any excuses, simply put, a 2-point loss to the best team in the country. Even still, we have 4 better choices AT THE MOMENT, IMO:

1.) Clemson - Passes the eye test, arguably the most complete team in the country. Couple signature wins.

2.) Ohio State - With JT at the helm, the team looks solid on both sides of the ball. No real meaningful wins yet, but they've also won every game fairly soundly.

3.) Baylor - Their OOC schedule may be weak, but they've absolutely shit on everyone they've played, other than Kansas State. One game isn't enough to claim that they're overrated, especially when they're still undefeated.

4.) Oklahoma State - Weak OOC schedule as well, but they have arguably the single best win on anyone's resume at the moment, over TCU. However, they've also had several close games with bad teams.

First four out:

1.) Iowa - Lots of close games, but still undefeated. Not the worst schedule in the world, either. Not convinced that they could hang with anyone above them.

2.) Alabama - The LSU game showed a much more dominant side of Alabama that I really haven't seen this whole season. They still have a loss, and they're still a handful of plays away from losing to Tennessee, but they're no denying that they're one of the 3 best 1-loss teams in the country.

3.) Notre Dame - Here's where things get harder to argue. Their only loss is incredibly close to the #1 team, but they also don't really have any big wins. Texas, Georgia Tech, and USC all ended up being mediocre teams.

4.) Stanford - Other than Northwestern and Wazzu, they've also shit on everyone they've played. Their only quality win at the moment is UCLA, though.

I truly feel bad for the Big XII. The committee is making a statement that it does not give a single fuck about that conference and they WILL be left out, unless everyone else loses.

I think if Baylor or Oklahoma State made it through the Big 12 unscathed they'd find a way in. Even Oklahoma could if they got a little help.

Baylor's remaining games - #12 Oklahoma, #8 Oklahoma State, #15 TCU, Texas

Oklahoma State's remaining games - ISU, #6 Baylor, #12 Oklahoma

Oklahoma's remaining games - #6 Baylor, #15 TCU, #8 Oklahoma State

Just an incredibly back loaded schedule in that conference. Similar to Ohio State having #13 MSU, #14 Michigan and possibly #5 Iowa left to play.

Clemson, come on man. The ACC is a dumpster fire, I cant take them serious and Notre Dame is also over rated, how many times do we have to go over this.

Bama is a solid team, not sure I would want to play them, it would be a coin flip.

Baylor, meh MSU punked them last year, I dont think they are as good as that team.

Oklahoma is intriguing, they seem to have it together, if they finish with out a loss and look impressive doing so they are in, IMO. Even though stoops is a dick lurch.

Iowa...yeah they are good. Not top 8 good, just wait.

Stanford, what were they thinking against NW? Look formidable now, I think they handle ND and then win out...might sneak in, playing some real sound football.

OSU...Beat MSU by more then two scores, and win by 10 over scUM and I think they have a case to be right there....MSU and scUM are as solid teams as anyone Clemson will play and or beat.

Its interesting thats for certain. I think like mentioned its about timing...Right now though I would put most my money on Bama as much as it pains me, they look impressive, even if they beat and over rated LSU.

UNC is playing pretty well right now. They could upset Clemson. That early loss against SCar is VaTech-esque.

If Clemson wins out, they are in.

If Notre Dame wins out, they are in.

If Ohio State wins out, they are in.

If Alabama wins out, they are in.

I do not see any other team displacing any of those four teams if those four teams win out.

The B12 is either going to cannibalize each other OR if one team wins out (Ok State, Baylor, or Oklahoma, take your pick), it will just create the impression that all the other teams in the B12 were over-ranked and over-valued. Meaning, I think the B12 is doomed regardless of what they do. Also, them not having a championship game also hurts their cause.

If Iowa wins out, I think Iowa takes Ohio State's spot, provided Ohio State makes it to B10 title game.

If Ohio State loses to either Michigan or MSU, then all locks for B10 in playoff are off. Meaning, Ohio State has to make it to title game for a B10 team to make it into the playoff. That team will either be Ohio State or Iowa. Michigan State would have an outside chance of making the playoff if it beats Ohio State and then an undefeated, highly ranked Iowa.

Stanford will take Notre Dame's spot if they beat Notre Dame and then win the Pac12.

If Clemson loses, then I think it opens the door for a B12 team. If Clemson loses, then I think the ACC gets shut out of playoff.

The only team from the SEC other than Alabama that can make the playoff is Florida. I think Florida takes Alabama's spot if Florida wins out and beats Bama in title game.

I think if Baylor or Oklahoma State made it through the Big 12 unscathed they'd find a way in. Even Oklahoma could if they got a little help.

Baylor's remaining games - #12 Oklahoma, #8 Oklahoma State, #15 TCU, Texas

Oklahoma State's remaining games - ISU, #6 Baylor, #12 Oklahoma

Oklahoma's remaining games - #6 Baylor, #15 TCU, #8 Oklahoma State

Who are you going to bump from the current 4 if those current 4 win out?

Not Clemson, who is a solid lock at #1, has the best eye test resume, and has the best win currently (over current #4).

Not Alabama, who is sitting at #2, looks really good on paper and according to the eye, just pasted the #4 team, and will end up beating a (likely) high ranked Florida.

Not Ohio State, which, as you've pointed out, will go through a pretty difficult schedule to end the season.

And not Notre Dame, which, quite frankly, probably has the best resume of any team out there. Their win against Navy is looking better and better with each week, and especially after Navy smoked an undefeated (and media Cinderella/darling) Memphis. They also handled Temple and USC. Their only loss came to the #1 team at the #1 team's stadium in a hurricane. Given that resume, and the intangibles (Notre Dame is a cashcow up there along with Ohio State and Texas), I don't see Notre Dame getting jumped by anyone in the B12.

Jive is on to something: Clemson vs. Notre Dame rematch in first semifinal, Ohio State vs. Bama rematch in other semifinal, and then the championship game (regardless of which two teams it is) would break all kinds of ratings records.

Who are you going to bump from the current 4 if those current 4 win out?

Not Clemson, who is a solid lock at #1, has the best eye test resume, and has the best win currently (over current #4).

Not Alabama, who is sitting at #2, looks really good on paper and according to the eye, just pasted the #4 team, and will end up beating a (likely) high ranked Florida.

Not Ohio State, which, as you've pointed out, will go through a pretty difficult schedule to end the season.

And not Notre Dame, which, quite frankly, probably has the best resume of any team out there. Their win against Navy is looking better and better with each week, and especially after Navy smoked an undefeated (and media Cinderella/darling) Memphis. They also handled Temple and USC. Their only loss came to the #1 team at the #1 team's stadium in a hurricane. Given that resume, and the intangibles (Notre Dame is a cashcow up there along with Ohio State and Texas), I don't see Notre Dame getting jumped by anyone in the B12.

Jive is on to something: Clemson vs. Notre Dame rematch in first semifinal, Ohio State vs. Bama rematch in other semifinal, and then the championship game (regardless of which two teams it is) would break all kinds of ratings records.

This

If the top four win out, I just don't see anyone passing them