College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Indiana game I was telling all my buddies that I thought PSU would take OSU out. And we'd never see the black jerseys ever again.

After the Maryland game I'm slightly more optimistic but still think it's a very real possibility. The JT red zone QB project looked great against Maryland (6/6 for TD's in the red zone, no turnovers) but they're 111th in total defense and 104th in scoring defense. PSU is 10th in total defense and 11th in scoring defense - the best defense OSU has faced on paper. The good news is that there is virtually 0 threat of QB run from Hackenberg and that is what has thrown the OSU defense off the past 2 games. If OSU can just get 27-28 points on the board I think it's a W.

After the Indiana game I was telling all my buddies that I thought PSU would take OSU out. And we'd never see the black jerseys ever again.

After the Maryland game I'm slightly more optimistic but still think it's a very real possibility. The JT red zone QB project looked great against Maryland (6/6 for TD's in the red zone, no turnovers) but they're 111th in total defense and 104th in scoring defense. PSU is 10th in total defense and 11th in scoring defense - the best defense OSU has faced on paper. The good news is that there is virtually 0 threat of QB run from Hackenberg and that is what has thrown the OSU defense off the past 2 games. If OSU can just get 27-28 points on the board I think it's a W.

I think OSU's defense will shut down PSU, forcing them to work from behind. I don't think it will be a blowout by any means, but I definitely expect to see OSU pull away

BTW BTN's The Journey started back up last night. Wasn't much OSU-related in the first episode, just some brief mentions with regards to both MSU and OSU trying to live up to expectations and maintain their high rankings. Still a great show. I'd imagine the two featured games next week will be Michigan/MSU and OSU/PSU.

Also, BTN premiered the BTN Elite episode for the 2014 Buckeyes last night. I was trying to get to sleep around 4AM after watching The Journey and at the end of that I saw the start of the BTN Elite I had recorded as well. Ended up staying up until 4:45AM watching all of that like an idiot.

Out of the 14 plays Barrett played vs Maryland 12 were designed quarterback carries. It's just like when Braxton takes the wild cat. People are expecting them to run. Barrett needs to start slinging balls for this 2 QB system to be efficient and effective.

Out of the 14 plays Barrett played vs Maryland 12 were designed quarterback carries. It's just like when Braxton takes the wild cat. People are expecting them to run. Barrett needs to start slinging balls for this 2 QB system to be efficient and effective.

Difference.... JT Barrett finished #2 in the country in passing efficiency last year, Braxton Miller is coming off of a major shoulder reconstruction. They are gonna run Barrett in the redzone until the other team comes up to stop it, then they will throw the ball.

It's nothing like when Braxton takes the wildcat. JT hasn't had any injuries related to throwing. Teams know he can still throw just as well as he did last season. He would have had another TD pass to Thomas in the red zone on Saturday had Maryland not committed PI. It's just the main reason JT is being inserted in the red zone is to run the read option because Cardale sucks at it.

I think it will be close, but PSU plays to our strength. At least their offense vs. our defense. We seem to struggle against mobile QBs but we're solid at stopping the pass. Hackenberg is pretty much just a passing threat, and their O-Line is atrocious. I think we sack Hackenberg a lot. I could see our offense struggling a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some separation on their D. I could honestly see it being somewhere around 38-17.

I think it will be close, but PSU plays to our strength. At least their offense vs. our defense. We seem to struggle against mobile QBs but we're solid at stopping the pass. Hackenberg is pretty much just a passing threat, and their O-Line is atrocious. I think we sack Hackenberg a lot. I could see our offense struggling a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some separation on their D. I could honestly see it being somewhere around 38-17.

A score like that is what I am thinking. Something like 14-10 at halftime

Yeah, because 6/6 is very inefficient.

I know there was some talk of the talent on this Ohio State team in the last thread (just to reiterate - elite talent =/= elite team - at least until they put it all together) so this is worth posting...

CRcyVxqUsAAHYBB.jpg

Chris Spielman (brother is Vikings' GM) said a week or so ago that OSU has I think 17 juniors and seniors that the NFL evaluates on a weekly basis. He has done a couple Michigan games already this season (and is doing Michigan-MSU this weekend) and said they have 6 or 7.

Just more reason for me to get irrationally upset if this team ultimately fails to put it all together.

I know there was some talk of the talent on this Ohio State team in the last thread (just to reiterate - elite talent =/= elite team - at least until they put it all together) so this is worth posting...

CRcyVxqUsAAHYBB.jpg

Chris Spielman (brother is Vikings' GM) said a week or so ago that OSU has I think 17 juniors and seniors that the NFL evaluates on a weekly basis. He has done a couple Michigan games already this season (and is doing Michigan-MSU this weekend) and said they have 6 or 7.

Just more reason for me to get irrationally upset if this team ultimately fails to put it all together.

I agree. This is the most frustrating idea that comes to mind when this team plays down to its opponents.