The Force Awakens

RC K9

It was all right. Go read these 40 plot holes and then these 20 more plot holes if you really want to nerd out. A few of them I picked up on, but whatever. For pure entertainment, it was really well done. Just don't think too hard on it if you're a Star Wars Nerd... ;)

I got 10 "holes" into that first link before I couldn't take it anymore; the author has no idea what a plot hole actually is. Hint: coincidences or improbable events are not plot holes.

For instance, #3, the fight between Finn and Kylo. If we were told previously, either via dialog or example, that non-force users were physical incapable of wielding a light saber, and also told that Finn was definitely not a force user, and then he proceeded to wield a light saber, that would be a plot hole. But none of that is true. Kylo was severely injured by a shot to the gut from Chewie's bowcaster, and had lost a lot f blood; we've also seen previously that force users like to toy with their opponents in battle. The fact that this fight isn't as over as quickly as some viewers might have liked is simply a matter of opinion, not a plot hole, at least not according to any reasonable definition of plot hole.

/nerd rage

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 10 "holes" into that first link before I couldn't take it anymore; the author has no idea what a plot hole actually is. Hint: coincidences or improbable events are not plot holes.

For instance, #3, the fight between Finn and Kylo. If we were told previously, either via dialog or example, that non-force users were physical incapable of wielding a light saber, and also told that Finn was definitely not a force user, and then he proceeded to wield a light saber, that would be a plot hole. But none of that is true. Kylo was severely injured by a shot to the gut from Chewie's bowcaster, and had lost a lot f blood; we've also seen previously that force users like to toy with their opponents in battle. The fact that this fight isn't as over as quickly as some viewers might have liked is simply a matter of opinion, not a plot hole, at least not according to any reasonable definition of plot hole.

/nerd rage

I would agree that there are several "plot holes" in the author's "plot holes", and as such, the author should stop being such an "a hole."

umm spoilers in this message. if you dont want em skip. think anyone thats a fan would have prolly made it to the theater by now. so is there anyone else, that just wasnt happy with it? it just didnt feel like star wars. the first three episodes (i ii iii) were better as a star wars movie, in my opinion. on top of that its was just a new hope remade, and not remade well. the whole ending blowing up death star 3, come on. also how well she used her newly discovered powers? that just a few things. i just didnt really like it. Edited by Spidey2721

umm spoilers in this message. if you dont want em skip. think anyone thats a fan would have prolly made it to the theater by now. so is there anyone else, that just wasnt happy with it? it just didnt feel like star wars. the first three episodes (i ii iii) were better as a star wars movie, in my opinion. on top of that its was just a new hope remade, and not remade well. the whole ending blowing up death star 3, come on. also how well she used her newly discovered powers? that just a few things. i just didnt really like it.

You're entitled to you're opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you any more strongly. I thought it absolutely felt like a Star Wars movie, in a way that the prequels never achieved. My wife and I started watching Episode III after seeing VII and within 5 minutes she was complaining about it being so cartoony. And III was our favorite of the prequels. I agree it was a bit too similar to VI, but I now believe they'll pull it all together.

My 3 biggest gripes.

1) Rey learns pretty advanced Jedi techniques in 15 minutes. Luke, master Jedi, took YEARS to learn to force pull his lightsaber, or his father before him who learned Jedi Mind tricks through probing the mind with the force.Yes, Kylo interacted with Rey using the force, however other Jedi, whom were placed in similar situations WITH years of training, took way longer.

The fact that Rey is suddenly amazing bothers me. I want her to have the same epic story of training and true growth in her force powers instead of "boom, here I am."

2) Too many "In" jokes. Too many, "you had to be there, man," jokes referring to the original trilogy. One or two is ok... but it's constant.

3) Character backstory and individuality as a film (in my opinion) sucked. All the other films, while possibly bare bones, provide complete and diverse characters, with room to grow, whereas E:VII seems basic, and that they are relying on future films to tell more, instead of building a solid base and building from it. This one is hard to word for me.

All in all, I thought it was a great film, however I don't think it was a great Star Wars.

Rey could have had her abilities/mind "force-locked/wiped" at a young age after being trained by Luke initially, hence the 'Awakens' part of 'The Force Awakens'.

I'm fine with a familiar, semi-retelling of a New Hope, as long as they branch out a bit more from here. I feel like this film was sort of a 'Hey guys, we can do Star Wars, look at this' first volley, that was purposefully safe. It's nice not groaning at Lucas' dialogue, and having decent characters again.

I'm also glad they are picking and choosing what ideas from the EU they want, and bombing most, as the EU had some great, but also some really awful stories/ideas.

I have a feeling Rey is Luke's daughter and she is the product of 2 badass Force bearing parents and that is why it comes natural to her. Just my guess.

I think they are telegraphing the "she's a Skywalker" angle too hard, I honestly hope she's not, but I'm happy either way if they can keep the quality up.

shes a Kenobie

My buddy at work is convinced of this. I just don't see it. I think it would be a cool avenue to take, but I just don't think that'll be the case. She's got to be a Skywalker, Luke's or Leia's. Her hair is similar to how Padme wore it in some parts (she had a bunch of different styles), and the outfit she wears in the last scene is almost exactly like the one Padme wears at the end of III when she's pregnant. Not to mention the Skywalker lightsaber calling to her.

personally I think they are going to play the twins scenario all over again like luke and leia. my guess is she is Leia's child separated at birth and went to live / train with luke on totally not tatooine I mean Jakku. Once Kylo decided to go to the dark side/ what ever crap happened Luke dipped to quick to grab ray and left her there.

Me theories at this point:

1.) Rey is either Luke's daughter, or was part of the Jedi Academy that Luke had instituted.

a.) Kylo seemed to pay special attention when he was told the BB-8 escaped with a girl. "What girl!?!?!?!?" He took specific interest in that.

b.) I was told in one of the Star Wars games, Kylo can be heard referring to Rey as "cousin," though I haven't been able to personally verify

c.) Another buddy said something to me about it, "he mentioned something about her having her father's lightsaber" I believe in regards to the video game

2.) Supreme Leader Snoke

a.) Best theory I can run with is Snoke is either darth plagueis (Palpatine/Sidious' former master), or the character was at least inspired by him.

b.) The Same music plays in the Snoke scene as is playing in Ep III when Palpatine tell Anakin about his former master.

c.) Palpatine tells Anakin in Ep III that his master had learned not only to prevent people from dying, but could even create life. (Palpatine also says his master had taught him everything he knew.) So two things on that. Palpatine wasn't successful in actually killing him or Snoke/Plagueis was able to bring himself back. (In the expanded stories, Sidious didn't actually die when Vader through him down that shaft, and he was actually able to reincarnate himself multiple times). AND...Anakin was immaculate conception. Did Snoke/Plagueis create Anakin? And if he did, that would make Snoke/Plagueis the great grandfather of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, (Jacen in the EU).

As for Rey using the force...yeah, she learned a little quicker than I would have probably portrayed, but it certainly didn't ruin anything for me. Everyone is different. Look at how Kylo uses the force compared to how Vader did. Vader choked a few people. Kylo has demonstrated an ability to do far more than that. Maybe the force gets stronger the longer the skywalker lineage carries on? Or the previous theory, that she was actually a jedi in training before her memory was erased or her brain blocked the horrible memories of her past. Doesn't matter. I got goosebumps and an adrenaline rush every time that lightsaber flew to her hand instead of Kylo's. I was most pleased with the fight scenes.

This absolutely felt like star wars to me. Not as much crappy CG as 1-3, real props and costumes....it just felt right.

I really liked the characters, Poe, Finn, and Rey. Finn was crackin me up.

I want to see it a 4th time, but I have to stop spending all this money, ha ha.

Me theories at this point:

1.) Rey is either Luke's daughter, or was part of the Jedi Academy that Luke had instituted.

a.) Kylo seemed to pay special attention when he was told the BB-8 escaped with a girl. "What girl!?!?!?!?" He took specific interest in that.

b.) I was told in one of the Star Wars games, Kylo can be heard referring to Rey as "cousin," though I haven't been able to personally verify

c.) Another buddy said something to me about it, "he mentioned something about her having her father's lightsaber" I believe in regards to the video game

2.) Supreme Leader Snoke

a.) Best theory I can run with is Snoke is either darth plagueis (Palpatine/Sidious' former master), or the character was at least inspired by him.

b.) The Same music plays in the Snoke scene as is playing in Ep III when Palpatine tell Anakin about his former master.

c.) Palpatine tells Anakin in Ep III that his master had learned not only to prevent people from dying, but could even create life. (Palpatine also says his master had taught him everything he knew.) So two things on that. Palpatine wasn't successful in actually killing him or Snoke/Plagueis was able to bring himself back. (In the expanded stories, Sidious didn't actually die when Vader through him down that shaft, and he was actually able to reincarnate himself multiple times). AND...Anakin was immaculate conception. Did Snoke/Plagueis create Anakin? And if he did, that would make Snoke/Plagueis the great grandfather of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, (Jacen in the EU).

As for Rey using the force...yeah, she learned a little quicker than I would have probably portrayed, but it certainly didn't ruin anything for me. Everyone is different. Look at how Kylo uses the force compared to how Vader did. Vader choked a few people. Kylo has demonstrated an ability to do far more than that. Maybe the force gets stronger the longer the skywalker lineage carries on? Or the previous theory, that she was actually a jedi in training before her memory was erased or her brain blocked the horrible memories of her past. Doesn't matter. I got goosebumps and an adrenaline rush every time that lightsaber flew to her hand instead of Kylo's. I was most pleased with the fight scenes.

This absolutely felt like star wars to me. Not as much crappy CG as 1-3, real props and costumes....it just felt right.

I really liked the characters, Poe, Finn, and Rey. Finn was crackin me up.

I want to see it a 4th time, but I have to stop spending all this money, ha ha.

Agreed, im thinking its gotta be lukes daughter, and ill bet she was in training before ben went nuts and killed everyone. Luke got her off the planet, dropped her off on jakku and took off.

There is also a theory that Kylo Ren is undercover to infiltrate the Knights of Ren and get close enough to snoke to kill him. He had to kill Han in order to gain Snokes trust...

The funny part is, ive heard harrison ford is already signed up for the next film....

I just read this and think this MAY have some merit as I do believe Rey being Luke's daughter could be a little too, "obvious." I know JJ Abrams likes to keep things a mystery for the audience.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html