Resurface Rotors?

Fiji ST

I'm about to replace the pads on the ST here shortly and the techs at work are telling me I need to have my rotors turned before I put the new pads on. On my old car, I would just put the new pads on and go on with life. Am I okay to continue to do that or do I really need to have the rotors resurfaced?

O'Reilly resurfaces for 10 bucks a pop. Cheaper then new rotors for sure. Putting new pads on an uneven used rotor will cause them to score and not work properly.

Alternatively, you could rub the new pads on concrete to rough them up a bit before installing them.

It's nice to start with a fresh smooth surface, and bed them in properly, and it's what most techs including me recommend. However if your car stops fine without noise or vibration you can swap out the pads without hurting anything. You typically risk getting noise, or making vibrations worse (if it has any).

I have no vibrations at all. There's only 34k on the rotors and they're still plenty of life left on them according to the inspection report. The rear pads are down to 3/32nd so I'm going to replace all four corners to keep the same pads all around and to hopefully get rid of the awful brake dust produced by the stock pads.

I have no vibrations at all. There's only 34k on the rotors and they're still plenty of life left on them according to the inspection report. The rear pads are down to 3/32nd so I'm going to replace all four corners to keep the same pads all around and to hopefully get rid of the awful brake dust produced by the stock pads.

ONLY 34k? LOL

Do you know the tolerances for your rotors? Do you know what yours spec out to currently?

If the compounds aren't compatible, you can have shudders, or noises, and almost certainly less optimal performance than if they were put on a fresh surface.

O'Reilly resurfaces for 10 bucks a pop. Cheaper then new rotors for sure. Putting new pads on an uneven used rotor will cause them to score and not work properly.

Good to know.

It's nice to start with a fresh smooth surface, and bed them in properly, and it's what most techs including me recommend. However if your car stops fine without noise or vibration you can swap out the pads without hurting anything. You typically risk getting noise, or making vibrations worse (if it has any).

CAN you just put new pads on? Sure

SHOULD you just put new pads on?

Your techs at work, and certified techs here say machine or replace.

To sum it up.. do what you please

What I wanted to hear and to make sure it was worth it as I didn't want to cut down the life of the rotors for no reason.

ONLY 34k? LOL

Do you know the tolerances for your rotors? Do you know what yours spec out to currently?

If the compounds aren't compatible, you can have shudders, or noises, and almost certainly less optimal performance than if they were put on a fresh surface.

I don't have the exact number, but was told they have enough on there to be turned if I wanted to do it.

Damn 34k already on that thing? You drive too much! :) What pads are you going with? Let me know how it does for brake dust, hate the stock pads for that reason but I'm only at 17k so no point in replacing them yet.

Damn 34k already on that thing? You drive too much! :) What pads are you going with? Let me know how it does for brake dust, hate the stock pads for that reason but I'm only at 17k so no point in replacing them yet.

Over 40 miles a day will do that to you. It's been a fun 34k though. I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about doing the Hawk HPS but I ran into some issues with them when I had them on my old Mazda. I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews for the Stoptech PosiQuiet ceramics. They seem to be able to take some moderate abuse, but are quiet and no brake dust.