King Edition Mustang

SpaceGhost

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/10/22/richard-petty-ford-mustang-horsepower/74390684/

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23/0a1d10964ffd3592db33b6e042993341.jpg

Ford's Mustang fell behind in the horsepower race against rivals Dodge Challenger and Charger, but now it's pulling out its secret weapon in the battle for muscle-car supremacy: Richard Petty.

The NASCAR racing legend has an aftermarket performance shop that is boosting the horsepower of the Mustang GT from 435 to as much as 727, easily besting the factory-produced 707-horsepower Challenger and Charger Hellcats of Dodge. The Mustangs will be sold through Ford dealers and will be fully backed by Ford's warranty.

Petty's Garage

NASCAR racing legend Richard Petty stands next to one of the Mustang GTs that his shop is modifying to boost it up to 727 horsepower

"These new King edition Mustangs are pretty much the way I'd build my own," says Petty in a statement issued by Ford. "They are just great fun to drive and have a signature single exhaust. With the new paint on the Premier edition, that's how you know we built it. They look pretty sharp."

To get such an astounding surge in horsepower, Petty's Garage, as the aftermarket converter is known, takes a number of steps. It adds a Ford Performance supercharger to the stock 5-liter V-8 engine, which alone boosts horsepower to 670. Then it adds custom engine calibration, a cold-air intake and a MagnaFlow exhaust system.

To handle the extra power, the car also comes with new half shafts, sway bars and a rear axle upgrade. There are also custom, wider tires front and rear.

The King Edition is priced at $67,495. The King Premier, which beefs up the brakes and adds more modifications, goes for $90,495.

I know one thing, they sound real good. I was at the Petty museum earlier this summer with my boy and one of the workers took some people out for a ride in one of these mustangs. He got in to it pretty good and ripped through 5 gears pretty quick BUT I would still rather have this beauty that was parked back in the garage area:

IMG_1277-L.jpg