The flip side to Dwiggs situation

Mojoe

As we are all being entertained by the collapse of Dwiggs, put yourselves in his situation. No, not that you made tons of bad decisions, you're better than that. What if you had to liquidate everything for say, a sick family member needing treatment that insurance wouldn't cover. That's pretty extreme. Evaluate what are the luxuries you have, and what do you get rid of? Do you even get $50,000? Does it even make a dent in what is needed for the emergency?

What if you hit what I call the "Fuck it button"? Sell it all, and your life is in your back pack. If I was in Dwiggs shoes, this is where my head would be.

We have so many common expenses and luxuries. Even if we are not ballers with tons of money. Most Americans run our lives with so many expenses, other than food and shelter. Dwiggs created his own problems. For that, I have little feeling for his situation. His situation just makes me think about all the outside operating cost most of us typically have. Let alone, if you run a business. I'm just thinking out loud here. The easy answer is, don't be a failure or a dbag. Thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often thought of selling everything but a few things and driving off out west. I had an instructor in school always talk about talking 3-6 months off to walk the Appalachian Trail every year. I was always somewhat envious of my instructors lifestyle. He chose to live with the minimum requirements since everything he wanted to do was outside of Ohio.

have often thought about it. it wouldn't be easy to do for sure. especially for many of us who are used to our lifestyles. scary in a way. more so when you throw kids and family into the mix who rely on you. that's honestly the biggest pressure in my life is the responsibility of dependents.

have often thought about it. it wouldn't be easy to do for sure. especially for many of us who are used to our lifestyles. scary in a way. more so when you throw kids and family into the mix who rely on you. that's honestly the biggest pressure in my life is the responsibility of dependents.

This. Ensuring the wife and kids are taken care of greatly complicates things. I had at one point contemplated living out of a storage unit for a year though.

I could do it....no wife, no girlfriend, no kids. The only thing keeping from doing a epic journey is my jobs. I have 5 more years before I am vested in my pension, and 5 more years before my national guard retirement.

But the biggest keeping from picking up is not having savings for retirement.

I could do it....no wife, no girlfriend, no kids. The only thing keeping from doing a epic journey is my jobs. I have 5 more years before I am vested in my pension, and 5 more years before my national guard retirement.

But the biggest keeping from picking up is not having savings for retirement.

We should go to lunch some day. We are very close in time, in the same place. There is a ton of retirement info that needs to be shared among folks who retire around the same time.

Before I took my full time position, my now wife, and I were pretty set on selling everything here in Ohio, and moving to the mountains of Colorado. We don't have kids, so our options are streamlined a bit more than some folks.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't think Wiggs should be tied to the reasoning your think about this.

The guy is selling off all he can, it seems. He is presumably in financial survival mode. CR watches, and relishes in the irony of his arrogance, to what he is going through.

So on the flip side, what if you had to go through a catastrophic life style change? That's all I'm asking. The flip side is, the members here don't have the lies, business, and deception as factors for my question to them.

I always planned on hitting the fuck it button and leaving Ohio but family kept me here and ended up making one of my own. I feel like I've made good financial choices that if I ever had to liquidate everything I'd still have more cash than debt and my family could live for a while off that. Wouldn't have much left for my dream retirement though.

The guy is selling off all he can, it seems. He is presumably in financial survival mode. CR watches, and relishes in the irony of his arrogance, to what he is going through.

So on the flip side, what if you had to go through a catastrophic life style change? That's all I'm asking. The flip side is, the members here don't have the lies, business, and deception as factors for my question to them.

Here is my honest admission to this thought. I've done it. I'm on the tail end of it now. It sucks. Personally, catastrophic doesn't even come close to categorizing it. If you're not prepared when life throws shit in your face it's a tough storm to weather.

His problem was his own arrogance. I think he was legitimately mislead, drank the kool-aid, and took it to a whole new level. That was his undoing. Do I feel bad for him? No. If he were as smart as he claims, it would never have transpired the way it did.

Before I took my full time position, my now wife, and I were pretty set on selling everything here in Ohio, and moving to the mountains of Colorado. We don't have kids, so our options are streamlined a bit more than some folks.

I am doing just this. Unsecured credit is 90% paid off. Come tax time the refund will pay the rest off. Then sell the 2015 car and buy a 10K car with cash. At this point the house then goes up for sale. I know, through a realtor friend, what it is worth and how long it should take to sell. Once sold two week notice at the job. Not sure about the mountains. Thinking around Rio Grande but once ready I have five counties that I have targeted and will start looking into them in the real world instead of on-line.

I plan to at the worst case semi retire. Best case retire.

Pipe dream coming together.

According to him he has a 201X Matte White Aventador Roadster on order.

Doesn't sound like survival mode to me.

I'm very sure the dude will not go hungry or have to live in a camper van somewhere. His wealth is protected in a trust. He is set for life. His unfortunate is he can't access the fund in his trust, probably for his own good.

As of sell off everything, thought of it, but wife and kids tied you down. My plan is sell everything and move back to Hawaii. Live in a tent in one of the state park. Surf everyday. Pick up a small job here and there if I need money.

Actually a lot of the homeless people in Hawaii are on that plan. Went to Hawaii for a vacation. Sitting on the beach looking at the sun set/rise and wondering why the fuck do I need to go back to Detroit. Decided to said fuck it and stayed on the island live off the saving fund while looking for job. Saving fund depleted, regular job can't find, bought a tent and live on the beach. In Hawaii you can get assistance from the state if you're homeless. So there you go.

I don't think that Wiggs is in any significant trouble, personally. His riches are from family annuities, aren't they? I don't think he's going away. He's just laying low until he can come back out.

Back on topic: I have student loan debt completely negating my net assets. If I pressed the "f it button" it would make a fart noise and blow dust in my face. Must grind on...

If he is not in a financial mess, great for him. Houses for sale, cars back at MAG, business goes under, and talk of court case's. None of that sounds like fun. But, I also don't care if he lives in a cardboard box or a nice house.

It just made me think about all the extras we have and if we found ourselves liquidating, would it even matter, or how bad would it have to be?

As we are all being entertained by the collapse of Dwiggs, put yourselves in his situation. No, not that you made tons of bad decisions, you're better than that. What if you had to liquidate everything for say, a sick family member needing treatment that insurance wouldn't cover. That's pretty extreme. Evaluate what are the luxuries you have, and what do you get rid of? Do you even get $50,000? Does it even make a dent in what is needed for the emergency?

What if you hit what I call the "Fuck it button"? Sell it all, and your life is in your back pack. If I was in Dwiggs shoes, this is where my head would be.

We have so many common expenses and luxuries. Even if we are not ballers with tons of money. Most Americans run our lives with so many expenses, other than food and shelter. Dwiggs created his own problems. For that, I have little feeling for his situation. His situation just makes me think about all the outside operating cost most of us typically have. Let alone, if you run a business. I'm just thinking out loud here. The easy answer is, don't be a failure or a dbag. Thoughts?

1) In America-anything considered an emergency must be treated-so I would not sell a thing. Let it go to collections, figure it out later.

2) *IF* There was situation that down the line could come after my assets-I would sell everything, cash out- and live off cash for as long as needed to settle it in bankruptcy, and be right back to "good". The reset button is there if you know how to use it

On Wiggs-considering he is 100% trust funded, I dont think any of this related to him. But if he leaves nothing for his kin, he is an unspeakable douche. So far, it looks like there i will be nothing left for the next generation.

Ha I was just thinking about this last night if I had to start all over again I would buy a cheap camper van and roam around this country till I found a area that I would be happy to live in.

I think about this all the time, But with my wife and child its just not in the cards.

If life went the other way and i didnt get married/kid i would drop everything and start traveling the US in a small rv/van. I follow multiple people on youtube that do this for a living and i am envious of them. Another option would be to live in a tiny home on a a slice of land.

Something like this .

http://tinyhappyhomes.com/project/mendys-tiny-home/

I follow multiple people on youtube that do this for a living and i am envious of them.

http://tinyhappyhomes.com/project/mendys-tiny-home/

Trust me, the grass is not always greener. I did that shit for a while. What I want. When, where, and how I wanted to do it. Between Vegas, LA, Dallas and CLE via multiple cross country drives and flights, I was wore out-and had no "path" to life. You have to be one unmotivated motherfucker to be happy with just "existing" and "seeing new shit" I'm just glad I came out of it without any kids or STDs

The only people that life works for long term are super odd potheads, and trust fund babies. (Oddly enough, they are often one in the same). That being said-I would advise everyone takes a 2 week cross country drive. Do it once-get it out of your system. This country is pretty epic when you take it all on at one time and should be experienced that way by every American at least once if they can. But, once is good enough. :)

I can tell you that a normal, blue collar American would not enjoy a true vagabond traveling life very long.

This. Ensuring the wife and kids are taken care of greatly complicates things. I had at one point contemplated living out of a storage unit for a year though.

Yep....

I've often thought about getting an old camper van, chasing the all mighty $ across the US and sending every cent home.