Job Relocation Scenario

wagner

So, I am on the short list for a new job within my company in a different division. This particular division is one of the more profitable within our healthcare brand, so much so the company is investing in them heavily.

This job will be a total career change for me, jumping from the legal/operations/customer facing side, to a marketing role that is more entry level, but has growth potential.

I’m just totally hung up on the fact that we would have to relocate to someplace closer to Hudson Ohio where the job is based (north east-ish).

Am I being dumb with this thought process and should just jump at the opportunity if offered?

I’m looking for some real world feedback from those who have made this jump before and if it was worth it. Its not like I’m moving across the country, but we really like Columbus and I don’t want to make a giant McSteak.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hudson isn't that far away. Are you having to sell a home to make it work?

We've talked before, Wags...now is the time (pre-kids) to move. Although, I'd also question if you're open to move, whether another location around the country (that you'd want to actually check out for a few years) would be a consideration.

If the new job is a step-up, stay the course and let the opportunity dictate what you need to do.

We've talked before, Wags...now is the time (pre-kids) to move. Although, I'd also question if you're open to move, whether another location around the country (that you'd want to actually check out for a few years) would be a consideration.

If the new job is a step-up, stay the course and let the opportunity dictate what you need to do.

Yeah, we will have to sell the house and that whole deal. I've been looking and trying for almost 2 years to get a better gig in a lot of places, the fact is that if you don't check every box in today's job market, people won't take a chance on you.

The job (if I get it) would be a step-up in the sense that it would give me more of those "skills" on paper that will lead to something better down the road. This would give me that hardcore paper experience that HR people want, rather than the non-paper skills I have now.

Yeah, we will have to sell the house and that whole deal. I've been looking and trying for almost 2 years to get a better gig in a lot of places, the fact is that if you don't check every box in today's job market, people won't take a chance on you.

The job (if I get it) would be a step-up in the sense that it would give me more of those "skills" on paper that will lead to something better down the road. This would give me that hardcore paper experience that HR people want, rather than the non-paper skills I have now.

For what it's worth, would you HAVE to sell the house? Depending on your finances and what the wifey could score as a job, you might be able to just rent a place near Hudson and keep your Columbus house as a rental...allowing you to come back at some point. I've got a good property manager. Then, you can live "dat condo life" in Hudson (no yardwork, no home maintenance, focus on your life and cars) while still taking a tax deduction in C'Bus. Also keeps it flexible in terms of you guys moving back to Columbus at some point.

I appreciated being in FL - always planning on coming back to Columbus at some point to start a family - and keeping our first home as a rental; we could always kick out a tenant and move back in if we needed to.:D

As stated before: keep on the track for that new job, and remain flexible.

Agree with this. Given the location of Hudson in relation to Columbus, it's hard for me to even consider that a "relocation", outside of the fact that you will be selling your home to go there. Make sure that the better half is, if not on the same page, at the very least in the same book, and do it homie.

If at all possible, DON'T sell the house. Rent it, keep the deduction, possibly even make a little money.

Ask them if they offer assistance with selling the house and a relocation package.

If no, stay in Columbus and look for something else. You don't want to deal with the "let's sell or rent the house" scenario. Chris and I just went through this, and him right down the street from you.

For what it's worth, would you HAVE to sell the house? Depending on your finances and what the wifey could score as a job, you might be able to just rent a place near Hudson and keep your Columbus house as a rental...allowing you to come back at some point. I've got a good property manager. Then, you can live "dat condo life" (no yardwork, no home maintenance, focus on your life and cars) while still taking a tax deduction.

I appreciated being in FL - always planning on coming back to Columbus at some point to start a family - and having the house we bought as a rental.

We don't have to sell, but I'm not in the mood to go back to apartment life really. If push comes to shove I might need that property manager info...

Ask them if they offer assistance with selling the house and a relocation package.

If no, stay in Columbus and look for something else. You don't want to deal with the "let's sell or rent the house" scenario. Chris and I just went through this, and him right down the street from you.

Entry level marketing jobs have to the potential to be real shitty. You might be doing a lot of soul-crushing production.

If you want marketing work look no further than Columbus. There are a ton of opportunities without needing to move.

They don't offer any assistance, but that really won't be an issue.

I would love to stay here, but again the job market is really not as good as the media wants you to think. For good jobs the market is VERY tight (this coming directly from my HR friends here in town).

Nobody wants to hire someone that that have to spend more than 1 day training, so I keep getting told to pound sand, that's just life.

Its not even close to a lock that I will get this, I might get bit by the "well we went with someone who had more xxx" yet again.

For what it's worth, would you HAVE to sell the house? Depending on your finances and what the wifey could score as a job, you might be able to just rent a place near Hudson and keep your Columbus house as a rental...allowing you to come back at some point. I've got a good property manager. Then, you can live "dat condo life" in Hudson (no yardwork, no home maintenance, focus on your life and cars) while still taking a tax deduction in C'Bus. Also keeps it flexible in terms of you guys moving back to Columbus at some point.

I appreciated being in FL - always planning on coming back to Columbus at some point to start a family - and keeping our first home as a rental; we could always kick out a tenant and move back in if we needed to.:D

^^ this.

I understand that you are not originally from Columbus, so moving isn't as big a deal for you as it would be for me. However if this doesn't work out is there other opportunities in that area? Besides, you are doing well with the house mortgage situation, I'm not sure I'd want to fuck with that.

I don't want you to move, but if you think it's a better opportunity I get it. Just have an extra bedroom so I can visit.

I understand that you are not originally from Columbus, so moving isn't as big a deal for you as it would be for me. However if this doesn't work out is there other opportunities in that area? Besides, you are doing well with the house mortgage situation, I'm not sure I'd want to fuck with that.

I don't want you to move, but if you think it's a better opportunity I get it. Just have an extra bedroom so I can visit.

Well, if it does not work out I can always come back to the 614.

This is not an easy thing for me at all, I really like it here, but I have goals that I'm not hitting here.

People don't understand the struggle of being a type-a/door kicking mindset person and being stuck. It has pushed me to the brink of depression because of this lack of mobility.

There wil be plenty of room to visit and even more to do hoodrat things :)

Call your life coach and discuss the details with him.

Roger

I wouldn't do it.

1) A company that doesn't offer any relocation assistance is ridiculous- get with the times, it's fucking 2015.

2) Up heaving your life for an entry level role is not a good idea- it doesn't show progression and will limit you in the future.

3) You still haven't identified what we talked about in our 1 on 1 meeting that day, what is it that you truly want to do? I still think some of the struggles you have are because you have not identified the one area you want to focus- employers can detect someone that's all over the board.

4) To someone else's point above, if that role doesn't work out, are you really going to want to move back to Columbus just to keep job searching? I say you continue to search here and work your job that's guaranteed. You may not be happy, but you'll be even less happy if you hate your new job and you just flipped your life to get it.

Find out what you want to focus on and I'll help you find something from there, but until you narrow down where you want to spend the rest of your career, you'll continue to search until you do.

I wouldn't do it.

1) A company that doesn't offer any relocation assistance is ridiculous- get with the times, it's fucking 2015.

2) Up heaving your life for an entry level role is not a good idea- it doesn't show progression and will limit you in the future.

3) You still haven't identified what we talked about in our 1 on 1 meeting that day, what is it that you truly want to do? I still think some of the struggles you have are because you have not identified the one area you want to focus- employers can detect someone that's all over the board.

4) To someone else's point above, if that role doesn't work out, are you really going to want to move back to Columbus just to keep job searching? I say you continue to search here and work your job that's guaranteed. You may not be happy, but you'll be even less happy if you hate your new job and you just flipped your life to get it.

Find out what you want to focus on and I'll help you find something from there, but until you narrow down where you want to spend the rest of your career, you'll continue to search until you do.

After our meeting I zoomed in on sales/account management/relationship management. I applied for and looked at those types of jobs both internally and externally but nobody wants to give me a shot because I don't have that type of job on my resume in big bold screaming letters.

I just know what I’m doing right now has no real future. It’s a great job if you are happy with pulling a check and punching a time clock. I’m over that, I want a job that pays me for my talent, ability, motivation, and potential.

At this point I’m going through the interview no matter what to hear what they have to say and ask some pretty blunt questions. If I don’t like what I hear I can always say no right?

I’m really starting to wonder about what the HR person said when she called this “entry level” because I’m interviewing with the Director of Marketing, the Marketing Manager, and the International Marketing Manager. I’ve never seen an entry level job where you interview with that many high level people.

I have an office building in Hudson, I love it up there. Contrary to most of what is being offered up in this chat, I would do it. Go big or go home. The relocation thing is become more scarce. Could you get an apt for a while before that decision needs to be made? Get the experience you need to move on. Experience is like another college degree, you gotta have it to move up. I say do it. But then again, I like to push the envelope. I think you do too.

I have an office building in Hudson, I love it up there. Contrary to most of what is being offered up in this chat, I would do it. Go big or go home. The relocation thing is become more scarce. Could you get an apt for a while before that decision needs to be made? Get the experience you need to move on. Experience is like another college degree, you gotta have it to move up. I say do it. But then again, I like to push the envelope. I think you do too.

Temporary living arrangements with family can be made pretty easy, so I'm not worried about the apt vs house thing up there until a later date.

I think I'm going to go through the interview, hear what they have to say, and ask some very pointed questions. If I don't think this opportunity will be worth the risk to get me where I need, I will politely decline.

And yes, you are correct, I will jump like a wild cat at a calculated risk in a heartbeat these days.

Do it!

Here's why:

1. You have to seize opportunity! And you are at the point in your life where you are able to. You have very few things tying you down and I know how badly you've been seeking a new opportunity in the past couple years. "Take the risks while the risks aren't really risks".

2. Hudson is a great community. I have relatives in Hudson and have been there minimum 100 times. Nice little ritzy community chock full of things to do!

Big Question - are you considering this new chapter because (eventually) the money could be there? If so, go for it. You have little to lose.

I can tell you first hand, you have to get uncomfortable before you can get comfortable. No one did anything great without diving head first into an opportunity that they were a little nervous to take. Then, it's up to you to grind and make the best of it.

At this point I’m going through the interview no matter what to hear what they have to say and ask some pretty blunt questions. If I don’t like what I hear I can always say no right?

I’m really starting to wonder about what the HR person said when she called this “entry level” because I’m interviewing with the Director of Marketing, the Marketing Manager, and the International Marketing Manager. I’ve never seen an entry level job where you interview with that many high level people.

This happens more than you think!

Here's a good ladder for interpretation.

If it's a 30-40k base with the chance to make a total if 40-50 it is probably entry-level.

If the base is 45-60k with the chance to make 70-90k. It's not entry level.

There is a slim chance that this will be considered. There is a zero-percent change that it will be anything worthwhile.

Wags, you gotta realize that this day and age... Opportunity isn't handed out like Halloween candy. You gon hafta work for it (ie - move roles, ie - relo, ie - ask for it, etc)

I'd be inclined listen to the sole Lambo owner in this thread (And maybe Bob). If there is an opportunity to be had, take it. If it's not a good fit, oh well move on. It's called progress. The only reason I'm still in Central Ohio is my family. I've had to pass on several opportunities. If the situation were different with my kids we would be long gone.

There is a slim chance that this will be considered. There is a zero-percent change that it will be anything worthwhile.

Wags, you gotta realize that this day and age... Opportunity isn't handed out like Halloween candy. You gon hafta work for it (ie - move roles, ie - relo, ie - ask for it, etc)

You don't have to tell me twice. If I could make strides in my full time job like I do my side projects I would be very happy, but for someone that does not have that e-word in certain areas it really is hard.

Lots of good info and insight in this thread, it should be a lesson to others that asking others for help or ideas is never a bad thing. Some of the points brought up in here were things I never thought of fully.

Besides, I was just presented with another media opportunity yesterday that this would put me close to, and will be a total game changer for the racers of Ohio :fuckyeah: