Job Relocation Scenario

wagner

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be inclined listen to the sole Lambo owner in this thread (And maybe Bob). If there is an opportunity to be had, take it. If it's not a good fit, oh well move on. It's called progress. The only reason I'm still in Central Ohio is my family. I've had to pass on several opportunities. If the situation were different with my kids we would be long gone.

My lambo is inevitably-eventual! Might not have "Lambos" though like Scott (I think that's his name)... But I'll definitely be working on it!

My lambo is inevitably-eventual! Might not have "Lambos" though like Scott (I think that's his name)... But I'll definitely be working on it!

Lol, yes Scott is the name. I think success can be measured many ways. I have several friends who would not be considered financial successes, but they love their lives and are happy and have great families. And that is success in my mind. I have done well and I would say that being quick to pull a trigger is one reason. It has not always worked out, but I always felt that I would have rather tried and failed.....than to hesitate and always wonder what might have happened. Having a spouse who believes in you helps too. I grew up in Minneapolis and had an offer of a business opportunity in Ohio. We never had been to Ohio. We would leave everything we knew. Family, friends, great neighborhood......for the unknown. Within 24 hrs, she said, if you need to do this, let's do it.

Lol, yes Scott is the name. I think success can be measured many ways. I have several friends who would not be considered financial successes, but they love their lives and are happy and have great families. And that is success in my mind. I have done well and I would say that being quick to pull a trigger is one reason. It has not always worked out, but I always felt that I would have rather tried and failed.....than to hesitate and always wonder what might have happened. Having a spouse who believes in you helps too. I grew up in Minneapolis and had an offer of a business opportunity in Ohio. We never had been to Ohio. We would leave everything we knew. Family, friends, great neighborhood......for the unknown. Within 24 hrs, she said, if you need to do this, let's do it.

I think success has to be well-rounded. Straight shooter, money in the bank, reaching "family goals", etc. But in the end, money is freedom depending on how addicted you are to it (can be bad for some because they throw away what I previously mentioned for the continued hunt for money).

And, Scott that story of moving to Ohio for the "chance" is a beautiful thing. I love it! I can remember being two years out of school (6 years ago) being scared shitless to partner up with a guy and try to build something from nothing... I was SCARED. But I knew it was the only way to see if I was strong enough to grind it out (80hrs/wk). Looking back I feel so lucky that I had older millionaire mentors telling me to "risk big, win big" when I was young. Plus, the confidence/knowledge I have gained from my first venture has led me to start a second venture that is flourishing this far. I know that I want to be a career-business-builder.

You know, I think it's so easy to see how/why big companies create low risk/low pay opportunities for the masses. Those jobs are safe, and if you want to feel safe you have to sacrifice in terms of financial "dreams".

My hope is that everyone takes a chance and rely on their own self for their own financial destiny. And that's where this thread's focus of "opportunity" comes in(somewhere on the scale) and in this instance for wagner it's about "opportunity". Wagner, take this job if there is a better opportunity! Plain and simple. Do it. You have little to lose!

And... For people thinking about the other end of the scale (starting a business)..."Build someone else's dream, or build your own dream".

PS- if I can do it, you can definitely do it. I am dumb, and I went to art school. I'm nothing special.

Brian, give me the good news……

Interview is at 9am on Thursday. I've been trying to get a hold of the HR person to get come additional information, but she seems to have a difficult time returning e-mails or phone calls.

Wife and I talked about this for a while the other night, she is 100% on board and will find a way to make it work.

If this does not work, it will be back to the grind trying to fine something.

I had the interview today, spent about 45 minutes with each person.

I found out the hard way this is NOT an entry level job, I would own the marketing plan for the entire retail segment for one of the products.

The reason I say I found out the hard way is that when I presented to one of the interviewers that this was pitched to me by the HR person as an "entry level" job, he got kind of angry. It took me a minute to get the conversation under control after that.

If I make the next cut and get the 4th interview I will be meeting with the big Vice President boss.

Overall the upside to this position is huge and after talking with the team I'm buying into this.

I had the interview today, spent about 45 minutes with each person.

I found out the hard way this is NOT an entry level job, I would own the marketing plan for the entire retail segment for one of the products.

The reason I say I found out the hard way is that when I presented to one of the interviewers that this was pitched to me by the HR person as an "entry level" job, he got kind of angry. It took me a minute to get the conversation under control after that.

If I make the next cut and get the 4th interview I will be meeting with the big Vice President boss.

Overall the upside to this position is huge and after talking with the team I'm buying into this.

Lol, nice save. Now we'll see how well you danced. Still, that's really great news. If you enter a job thinking that it may be too big for you, then you are taking the right job.

Lol, nice save. Now we'll see how well you danced. Still, that's really great news. If you enter a job thinking that it may be too big for you, then you are taking the right job.

I've had a few "oh shit" moments in my life, this has not taken the top spot :lol:

I'm pretty sure the person who I would directly under is a "yes" vote for me, the other two will be close.

The vibe I got is they are open to hire someone who has potential, so that plays in my favor.

That and they asked lots of questions about my writing and how I would use it for content marketing.

I've had a few "oh shit" moments in my life, this has not taken the top spot :lol:

I'm pretty sure the person who I would directly under is a "yes" vote for me, the other two will be close.

The vibe I got is they are open to hire someone who has potential, so that plays in my favor.

That and they asked lots of questions about my writing and how I would use it for content marketing.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/I+m+liking+this+comic+i+m+liking+it+a+lot+_1dae6c59114eefe032c76642aaa93477.gif

Fingers crossed...

• 1 month later...

Update:

I was told they are going to go with a different candidate because they don’t want to have to train someone and the other person had “creditable” experience vs my “rough” experience.

This takes the wind out of my sails to say the least. Back to the dry erase board I guess and see what else I can come up with.

This also brings to a close my search for jobs that require us to move. Unless the money or opportunity is just out of this world I don’t see us moving. My wife is crushing it at her job and she is already making more than me, with the chance to make even more soon, so there is no point in upsetting that apple cart.

Hopefully my 2016 ventures into YouTube will give me more “creditable” experience for my next chance at the job plate.

Sorry to hear, Wags. At least the passion you have in PM has been paying off in recognition and some business.

In the end, the right career move will make all the waiting and emotional stress worth it.

Yes, I am very lucky to have the opportunities that I've earned through my hard work in the media area, I must never forget that. 2016 is going to be interesting for sure, I've set some high goals and spent some cash investing in my business to take things up a notch.

I'm a very motivated and competitive person, almost to a fault, so stuff like this stings. Having this door kicker type mentality is something a employer needs to take advantage of :)

Thank you all to helped me with this that provided solid advice and positive words, I appreciate it.

Sucks that you haven't found the right thing for you, but I'm sure you will. Sounds like Mrs Wagner doing well could give you some flexibility, I hate to admit it but without my wife I would have very few options. Hopefully you find something that really checks the boxes for you and the potential employer.

Sucks that you haven't found the right thing for you, but I'm sure you will. Sounds like Mrs Wagner doing well could give you some flexibility, I hate to admit it but without my wife I would have very few options. Hopefully you find something that really checks the boxes for you and the potential employer.

Well, at this point I've got three options:

1. Grind it out and keep looking for a step up in jobs locally, could take years.

2. Blow it all up, take a pay cut and step back into an entry level job and new path, and take years to try and build back up.

3. Keep current job, work on building my resume to show these mythical “skills” that hiring people want to see through my side business ventures I’ve got now.

Well, at this point I've got three options:

1. Grind it out and keep looking for a step up in jobs locally, could take years.

2. Blow it all up, take a pay cut and step back into an entry level job and new path, and take years to try and build back up.

3. Keep current job, work on building my resume to show these mythical “skills” that hiring people want to see through my side business ventures I’ve got now.

Take your customer service/inside sales skills which are transferable and try other industries. Selling intangibles / service like you're doing is much more challenging than products and desirable. You also serve a very professional market; another plus. Leverage your writing skills as written communication, especially published articles is great. Perhaps begin with some blogs within your current sector vs just the automotive side.

Hudson is not all its cracked up to be. I understand you are disappointed, but the taxes will slay you there. Also there are some snobby folks there as well from my experience.

Anyway in my opinion, I would work on keeping the day job, and improving your skills via your other modes. Published articles, and perhaps marketing for a local shop or doing some side marketing work would help develop your "rough experience" into tangible experience.

I would hesitate to up-root your life and go to an entry marketing position. Its all glamor at the top end, but they hire and fire entry level people for nothing. They don't exactly pay that great either.

I wish you luck. Its frustrating to want to move up the corporate ladder and you just cant quite reach that next rung.

Hudson is not all its cracked up to be. I understand you are disappointed, but the taxes will slay you there. Also there are some snobby folks there as well from my experience.

Anyway in my opinion, I would work on keeping the day job, and improving your skills via your other modes. Published articles, and perhaps marketing for a local shop or doing some side marketing work would help develop your "rough experience" into tangible experience.

I would hesitate to up-root your life and go to an entry marketing position. Its all glamor at the top end, but they hire and fire entry level people for nothing. They don't exactly pay that great either.

I wish you luck. Its frustrating to want to move up the corporate ladder and you just cant quite reach that next rung.

No way in hell we would have lived in Hudson, I was looking at places in BFE around my parrents home in Rootstown.

Frustrating is not even the word to describe it, but the only course of action is to press on and not give up. Those who do have good jobs that pay well should be very thankful they were able to get there, its hard for some of us.

I've been told by a few people this will be difficult because of how most places do their hiring now, and that resume is not "pretty" with direct skills.

If life was easy everybody would be good at it right?

I'm going to start adding some other media services to what I already do. I think I see a way to make some extra cash, help small businesses, and gain those skills while having fun and playing race car this year :)