gabriel sky jacker air shocks

pontiacfreak142

Anyone have any experience with these? The stock air shocks froze up on the wifes bonneville, so i replaced them with these. Problem is, they ride like absolute poo. I had a level sensor go bad a while back, so i just drained the air out of the stock ones and disconnected the pump. Car still rode just fine on the stock ones like that.

Do i need to put air in these so they ride better, or are these just junk? They seem a little to stiff, and if you hit bumps, the back end will just bounce.

The name doesn't imply that they were really meant for that application. I would just get OE replacements and make the system work as designed if you want it to ride like it should.

Yea i know, but i got them from work, and looked up the vehicle and these are what came up, so i figured they would be alright lol

wow...is it 1977? Also I think you mean Hi-Jackers.

I have heard that GM now sources the delco replacements from Gabriel for caddy's and pontiacs so spending the extra money on a delco might net you the same shocks.

From my somewhat limited experience with these almost 20 years ago I would suggest that you put some air in them and see how that affects the ride. Start with about 30psi. I hear the VW people put about 60 psi in them for the busses.

They aren't bad shocks, just old technology. It is a design from the 1970's that hasn't really gotten a major update - just more modern materials. They do require a little fiddling to work.

These were like 150psi shocks back then if I recall. Not really made for the smooth ride but rather for load carrying and to keep my fenders from rubbing my N50 Kelley Superchargers on my Skylark! Lol

the range is 20-200psi. If you put 200 psi in one it acts like a rigid strut unless you are hauling the USS Intrepid in the bed of your pickup. if it has no air it is spongy as wet tit.