Recommend a 4k TV.

Nickey4271647545519

Let's see what CR recommends for a TV.

Budget? Around $800. Willing to do $1k if something is absolutely spectacular.

Looking in the 50-60inch range with 55in being ideal.

4k UHD. Being a smart TV isn't a big deal one way or another. Needs to have 120hz actual refresh rate or better.

Edited by Nickey427

UHD is not 4k.

There is very little 4K content though what's out there is fucking stunning!

120hz refresh rate is more than you need unless gaming a lot(most movies and tv are filmed at 60fps or less).

Smart features are typically useless, get a Roku.

Go big or go home, this is the best all around value for picture quality/efficiency: http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PRO9000-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B008R91OZ6/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448784746&sr=1-19&keywords=viewsonic+projector

^This is my next purchase as I'm currently running a 720p Casio Hybrid on a 120" screen.

I 100% agree with Apex... I would not recommend 4K to anyone because the content is not there yet. I am yet to see something in 4k that made me freak out or want to rush out and buy a 4k TV. Sony had a cool demo unit at there old store where they had a 144hz+ TV playing BR content at 1080p and I was shocked. I actually had to ask the guy what it was running because at the time I had no idea what resolution it was at, sure enough it was 1080p at high hz.

TL;DR... Skip 4k, get a high pixel density, 120/144hz, 1080p TV and enjoy.

60hz/120z/whatthefuckever doesn't matter for TVs with gaming.

You are not going to push more than 60hz on a HDMI cable. Those are emulated refresh rates. If you connect a computer, you'll only see the 60hz option (honestly, on a lot of cheap 4k tvs you'll only get 30hz) and it will look like shit when moving anything around. True 144hz monitors use a dual link DVI cable for a reason.

200_s.gif

Yes there's nothing wrong with going ahead and getting a 4K tv, just trying to help the man out and not waste money when he can't even begin to utilize it at all.

It's your money so buy what you like, I didn't do enough research on my small tv and now have one with too high a refresh rate and features I didn't want or need. Still, it works just fine I guess. At least got it right with my projection setup.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-65UF6450-65-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-120Hz-Smart-HDTV-4K-x-2K/46429952

Nicky this is the one I am looking to get its the best price and 5 inches larger than that Samsung of the same specs. However the sale says to start at 8:00 but it doesn't show you can order it online and well Walmart.com sucks for Info on if you will be able to order it and the price is not adjusted to $799 yet

I went full 'tard on a Samsung UN65JS8500 last week off amazon. Nothing really utilizes the refresh rates of 240hz right now, but that will come in time. For now, the up scaling and whatever magic pixie dust in that TV makes it look unbelievable. That was what sold me on it in the long run. I plan to have this TV at least 5-10+ years.

My dad did a home theater 15 years ago and got an "amazing" (at the time) projection big screen. 65" 480p Hitachi ultravision with HDMI ports. (Very uncommon in 2001!) That thing is still kicking and looks pretty decent after 15 years of use. Again people at that time said we would never see HD TV distributed in 480p for years. As much as the TV I purchased is not 100% utilized now, I am sure we will get there before this TV bites the dust.

Live sports look fantastic on a 120/240hz tv, Movies look terrible on anything above 60hz. When I say terrible I mean they sure do look sharp and pretty but the movie is not fluid. It's too sharp. There is a noticeable disconnect between the foreground and background.

The best TV you can buy right now for picture quality on movies right now is a USED Panasonic Plasma that they don't manufacture anymore.

If you are using your tv for live sports and gaming and have a PC to support it, by all means go 4k. If not save your money.

• 1 month later...

Bump

I'm looking for a new TV, something in the Samsung line. I could care less about 4k, I'm just more interested in what is out there now to look at.

I tried asking questions at Best Buy last weekend but the sales guy was not the sharpest knife in the crayon box...

Bump

I'm looking for a new TV, something in the Samsung line. I could care less about 4k, I'm just more interested in what is out there now to look at.

I tried asking questions at Best Buy last weekend but the sales guy was not the sharpest knife in the crayon box...

Be careful with new samsungs. I got a new samsung a few months ago from best buy, and the smart TV features are extremely slow and laggy- annoying as hell. Literally takes 5+ seconds after you turn it on to adjust the volume, switch inputs, etc. Acts like an overburdened computer just lagging way behind inputs and being retarded. Even freezes up every day or two.

samsung smart tv LOL

Can't check the model right now, but it was a 40" 1080 120hz for $500something dollhairs

OH YEAH- to add another thing- with hdmi computer input the picture blacks out for 3 seconds randomly after you have had it on for a few minutes. only does it once, and tons of people complain about it on the forums but there's no fix yet. Too bad older samsungs were great.

I still enjoy my 65" Sammy. Great choice and it was the largest non-curved model I could find.

Some bugs in the operating system, but its pretty neat how I can control everything from DVR to Netflix with one remote.

IMO the best option is to pick the best Samsung your budget permits. They are all priced per MAP pricing (similar to precision turbo) where no retailer can price it below a certain amount off the TV's. So pick the nearest and best support and buy it there. Any big chain will have the same price.

Be careful with new samsungs. I got a new samsung a few months ago from best buy, and the smart TV features are extremely slow and laggy- annoying as hell. Literally takes 5+ seconds after you turn it on to adjust the volume, switch inputs, etc. Acts like an overburdened computer just lagging way behind inputs and being retarded. Even freezes up every day or two.

samsung smart tv LOL

Can't check the model right now, but it was a 40" 1080 120hz for $500something dollhairs

Ugh, thank you for the information, that was helpful.

I wish there was a way to not get a "smart" tv, I have other devices that do my streaming.

samsung smart tv LOL

Buy "cheap" smart TV with shitty processor and get lag. Buy a nicer one and its not as big of an issue. My JS8500 is not super fast, but its definitely better than what you are describing.