College Football Thread v13.0

bicranium

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attrition has started, LB Kyle Berger given a medical hardship. Knee injuries destroyed his career at OSU. He's gonna pursue medical school, not a bad fall back plan.

Herman will be coaching Texas after they fire Strong in next 1-2 years.

No doubt. Most of the UT fans in my office want him NOW. Strong saved his job with the win over Oklahoma.

Herman will be coaching Texas after they fire Strong in next 1-2 years.

Looking at Texas' schedule I think if Strong can get 8+ wins next season then he's safe. Then another improvement in 2017 and he could be there for a while. The way their class closed was incredible.

Unrelated, here's a nice article with a graph on just how depleted OSU will be next season...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/5/10921918/2016-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience-lsu-ohio-state-tennessee-stanford

127th out of 128 in returning experience. Still, I'm excited to watch some new guys make their mark with JT leading them.

Since I'm bored I'm going to make a projected starting lineup for OSU...

QB - JT Barrett (RS Jr.)

RB - Curtis Samuel (Jr.)

H-back - Dontre Wilson (Sr.)

WR - Noah Brown (RS So.)

WR - Torrance Gibson (RS Fr.)

TE - Marcus Baugh (RS Jr.)

LT - Isaiah Prince (So.)

LG - Billy Price (Jr.)

C - Pat Elflein (RS Sr.)

RG - Jamarco Jones (RS So.)

RT - Malcolm Pridgeon (Jr.)

DE - Tyquan Lewis (Jr.)

DT - Michael Hill (Jr.)

DT - Tracy Sprinkle (RS Jr.)

DE - Sam Hubbard (RS So.)

LB - Jerome Baker (So.)

LB - Raekwon McMillan (Jr.)

LB - Dante Booker (Jr.)

CB - Gareon Conley (Jr.)

S - Malik Hooker (So.)

S - Erick Smith (Jr.)

CB - Denzel Ward (So.)

And here's a list of guys who are either redshirt or true freshmen that I expect to see quite a bit...

RB - Mike Weber*

H-back - DeMario McCall

WR - KJ Hill*, Austin Mack

TE - Jake Hausmann

OL - Branden Bowen*, Matt Burrell*

DL - Jashon Cornell*, Dre'Mont Jones*, Jonathon Cooper, Nick Bosa, Robert Landers*

LB - Nick Conner*, Justin Hilliard*, Keandre Jones

DB - Joshua Norwood*, Wayne Davis, Damon Arnette*, Jordan Fuller

*redshirt freshman

I think the biggest crapshoots in terms of guessing starters are the offensive skill guys and the DB's. Mike Weber could easily be the starting RB with Samuel being the starting H-back. Parris Campbell could be a starting WR or H-back. KJ Hill or Austin Mack could be a starting WR. Damon Webb, Marshon Lattimore, Cam Burrows and Jordan Fuller could all compete for a starting DB spot. Should be a very interesting off-season trying to pay attention to who ends up filling in at all of the open spots.

People sometimes forget the role that psychology plays in performance. In theory, losing a lot of starters/production sounds awful. But what if your starters know they are studs that are just biding time before a huge paycheck at the next level and really don't put forth max effort? And what if you're a backup to those studs and can't wait to get your chance to start and go max effort all the time so that you make a case for you being deserving of a big paycheck at the next level? Just something to think about.

I think he better or he tries to transfer, he wasn't quite happy with the commitment....he wants to see the field.

He has come out and said he absolutely loves Ohio State and learned a ton from Elliott... He's not going anywhere, he will likely be the starting RB as Samuel will be moved to a Jalin Marshall type role in my opinion.

He has come out and said he absolutely loves Ohio State and learned a ton from Elliott... He's not going anywhere, he will likely be the starting RB as Samuel will be moved to a Jalin Marshall type role in my opinion.

This. I have heard the same things. Samuel was more effective as a pass catcher last year.

4* NV DT Haskell Garrett committed to OSU last week. Apparently his family is all in the midwest (he goes to Bishop Gorman in Vegas) so his top 3 were OSU, PSU and ND. He hasn't been to OSU yet so that's always iffy but should be coming sometime in the spring. I guess he hadn't talked to a lot of media yet because most people had him joining Bishop Gorman's 5* QB Tate Martell at A&M. 5* WR Tyjon Lindsey was also at Bishop Gorman this past season but is moving back to Cali for his senior year. Lindsey's favorite team growing up was OSU. Have a good A&M friend so this news and news stemming from it could be pretty painful.

I feel like this is a trap haha

Ohio State Buckeyes: Oddsmaker Bovada Names Team as Favorite to Win College Football Title

On the back of a strong recruiting class, the Buckeyes odds moved to 6-1 after being at 12-1 on Jan. 13. Defending champion Alabama is second at 7-1. Clemson, Michigan and LSU round out the top five.

OSU is in position to potentially land the top 3 WR's in the 2017 class and lead for a few others in the top 10 at that position. WR in 2017 is absolutely loaded, I just feel it's going to be a numbers issue. The class is projected to be somewhere around 17 kids and they already have verbals now.

Warren Ball is also transferring for his Sr year to Akron.

I feel like this is a trap haha

Ohio State Buckeyes: Oddsmaker Bovada Names Team as Favorite to Win College Football Title

On the back of a strong recruiting class, the Buckeyes odds moved to 6-1 after being at 12-1 on Jan. 13. Defending champion Alabama is second at 7-1. Clemson, Michigan and LSU round out the top five.

Lol, yeeeeaaahhhhh......In the immortal words of Admiral Ackbar;

IT'S A TRAP!!!

OSU is in position to potentially land the top 3 WR's in the 2017 class and lead for a few others in the top 10 at that position. WR in 2017 is absolutely loaded, I just feel it's going to be a numbers issue. The class is projected to be somewhere around 17 kids and they already have verbals now.

Warren Ball is also transferring for his Sr year to Akron.

I don't see OSU getting DPJ (#1 WR). Definitely getting #2 WR Trevon Grimes. Have a great shot at #3 WR Tyjon Lindsey. #17 WR Jaylen Harris should also be in the class. Should be an elite trio. More recruiting actual WR's instead of "athletes" to play the position.

Also see the class getting to 20. They'll find a way.

OSU has been doing winter workouts and whatnot lately and one of the themes (2013-2014 was "The Chase", 2015 was "The Grind") is "This is the land of wolves." For those who haven't seen Sicario, maybe a tiny spoiler but I'm not going to give its context, Benicio del Toro's character says near the end to another character... "You will not survive here. You're not a wolf. And this is the land of wolves now." Basically a message to the young pups (of which there are simply a TON - over half the roster this season will be true and redshirt freshmen) that it's time to become a wolf or you're not going to make it.

Here's the sign that's up in the football facility...

http://i.imgur.com/jDeF8HH.jpg

Of course you also see "Get to Indy" there for the B1G title game.

I really want to know who decided to use the thing from Sicario. Such an amazing line from a great movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Lovie Smitth as head coach of U of Illinois. That's a solid hire for them. Perhaps he can turn that program around.

Agreed. The B1G is better when Illinois is relevant. They have been struggling for some time now. I like the hire.

Lovie Smitth as head coach of U of Illinois. That's a solid hire for them. Perhaps he can turn that program around.

I'm more of a wait and see with Lovie. Going to have to wait and see if he can evaluate talent and recruit.