College Football Thread v13.0

bicranium

A healthy Dontre is at the very least solid. In 9 games in 2014 he had 21 catches for 300 yards and 3 tds, 18 rushes for 100 yards, and very solid PR and KR averages

Frankly he didn't see the field at his position last year, to guys like Jalin whom is very good...And he didnt get touches before Curtis. I think solid is a strech, but viable, I hope he shows all the skill he has next season, because as it was this year he was 3 4 deep, not super encouraging.

The coaches think otherwise. So much so that they created a special package throughout the season just to get him on the field. Even more so that they took Bosa off the edge just to get Hubbard on the field in that package.

I know they created the package and I know he is a flex guy with a great motor and ethics, little undersized though. It will be interesting, I am all for him making it if he can, I just am hedging he is going to be average as far as OSU is concerned

Isn't that what we say about every upcoming TE, ever year?

We never use them enough to know, is the issue most of the time

See bold.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See bold.

Dontre was hurt most of the year which is why he didnt play much in 15. He was the all out starter in 2014 until he broke his foot.

Hubbard is 6'4 260 and is a freak athlete. Dont be surprised to see him over 270 lbs next season. Im hedging that he will be better than average. Id even put $25 on him being a top 64 draft pick whenever he goes

Dontre? Samuel? Hubbard? Baugh? Really?

I just meant in terms of experience and how valid labeling them a "starter" would be. Obviously Samuel and Hubbard are great players. Hopefully Samuel's back spasm issue gets sorted out. Baugh is unreliable so we'll see how he does as a real starter in 2016. Then Dontre will be the wily vet...haha. Needs to fully recover from his foot injury.

Realistic goals for next years team? If we can go 12-1 or 11-2 with a NY6 bowl win, I think that's a successful season for us. I think 2 years from now (2017 team) will be the team that could have another shot at a title. But then again, that was the exact mindset going into the 2014 season that it was the 2015 team that was supposed to win, so we'll see.

Realistic goals for next years team? If we can go 12-1 or 11-2 with a NY6 bowl win, I think that's a successful season for us. I think 2 years from now (2017 team) will be the team that could have another shot at a title. But then again, that was the exact mindset going into the 2014 season that it was the 2015 team that was supposed to win, so we'll see.

Realistically?

I expect losses to Oklahoma, Michigan State and Michigan, with a potential fourth to Penn State. It doesn't matter how bad Penn State may be, they always give us a hell of a game, and we're in Happy Valley this year.

I won't be mad. I've said it before (and to echo your statement), but this past year was the year we were setting up for all along in the recruiting pipeline. It just so happens we ended up winning the championship a year early. We'll have a winning record, no doubt, but this year will be rough for us. This outgoing team has given us some of the best years in recent Ohio State history.

That said, I think we have the potential to be a NY6 team. Urban is one hell of a coach, and we'll still have JT.

I think 3 losses (coming from the pool of @Oklahoma, @Wisconsin, @PSU, @MSU and Michigan) should be the expectation. The goal should be to be competitive in Norman and possibly steal the game then improve from there and see where they land.

Urban spoke this morning for a wrap up type thing and said JT, Raekwon and Elflein are already captains for 2016. Said he thinks the offense will be fine and the defense will have some work to do. I agree with that. JT will grind with the new skill guys around him from now through the summer and Elflein will be able to help the new OL come together. Defense is a different animal so there's only so much Raekwon can do.

Urban also said no staff changes. So another nice swing and miss from nevadabuck on Rivals. He might get something right again at some point.

Urban also said no staff changes. So another nice swing and miss from nevadabuck on Rivals. He might get something right again at some point.

I really hope this is just coach speak and he just hasn't found a suitable replacement for Tim Beck yet. If it's not, they better keep Warriner in the box all year. We absolutely will get murdered pulling Tim Beck shit next year, without the massive talent pool to bail us out...

I think 3 losses (coming from the pool of @Oklahoma, @Wisconsin, @PSU, @MSU and Michigan) should be the expectation. The goal should be to be competitive in Norman and possibly steal the game then improve from there and see where they land.

3 losses is what everyone should prepare for honestly, if it's less than that GREAT!! Also, remember when I used to bust your balls about Nevadabuck and you'd get all defensive about it? :lolguy:

I am probably just a homer I just cannot see them losing 3 games next year - even with the players they lost. They just have more talent across the board than almost any team they will play and have an experienced dual threat QB. I think they lose to Oklahomo and maybe one other to MSU or Michigan.

I was gonna go on a mini rant about how you guys are thinking too highly of MSU next year and even having a chance against OSU with out Conner Cook....then I remembered they didn't have him last time either in the shoe :(

I think the offense will be ok, it's the defense I'm worried about. Oklahoma will still have Baker Mayfield who is a lot like Brewster from VT but better. Just seems to find a way to escape enough to make a play but also be able to scramble.

Ohio State is going to kick the dog shit of Okla "the committee let us in because of last year" homa. We're Ohio State, not some podunk upstart with no backfill, once in a decade, team of dreams. We've had top 10 recruiting classes for how many of the last 7 years? Last I checked we have Urban Meyer as our head coach, and we are worried about Big Game Bob?

In a way, if "spreading touches" (not the Penn St kind) around was a bit of an issue last year, maybe having less of a log jam will allow our OC to work a more consistent gameplan (like the kind that includes a runningback). I was worried when Carlos Hyde left and then gawd-damn Ezekial fucking Elliot came out of nowhere.

(like the kind that includes a runningback).

Elliott had 16 more attempts in 2 less games in 2015 vs 2014. Can we stop with the "didnt use Zeke" bullshit now?

Oh, even better stats.... the 7th most attempts in the NCAA

I really hope this is just coach speak and he just hasn't found a suitable replacement for Tim Beck yet. If it's not, they better keep Warriner in the box all year. We absolutely will get murdered pulling Tim Beck shit next year, without the massive talent pool to bail us out...

The plan after the offensive success vs. Michigan was for Warinner to remain in the box for as long as he's at OSU. He was in the box again vs. ND and that worked well again. Urban said yesterday that they aren't sure if he'll remain in the box next season. I'd assume Ed is worried about his unit, with 3 new starters, not getting coached up as well on the sidelines between series.

And I honestly didn't expect any staff changes to be made. From what I've read the MSU disaster wasn't as much Beck's fault as it was Urban's. A couple early drops, the rain and Zeke's 3-day hospital stay that week led to Urban going to his crutch... the QB run.

The QB thing was just a mess all year and from what I've read some of the staff wanted to switch from Cardale to JT much earlier. Some wanted JT from the start. I don't know if Beck was in the group that wanted JT from the start but I wouldn't be surprised. Beck recruited JT at Nebraska (JT's first offer) and I remember during the Scarlet and Gray Days thing that the Big Ten Network did that Beck was talking to JT as if he was the starter.

Of course, if things at the QB position don't return to 2014 form with JT having the entire off-season to prepare as the starter then it'll be time for Timmy to go. Can't give a fair assessment based on 2015 due to all the garbage (Cardale being the initial starter, playing musical QB's as Cardale struggled, doubling down on Cardale as the starter, finally switching to JT, JT gets the DUI, etc.).

3 losses is what everyone should prepare for honestly, if it's less than that GREAT!! Also, remember when I used to bust your balls about Nevadabuck and you'd get all defensive about it? :lolguy:

nevada had good info pre-Urban. Urban has completely shut nevada's kind out since he seems to prefer legitimate reporters/journalists with real names and accountability instead of boosters' sons hiding behind an anonymous online handle who feel entitled to info because daddy paid a bunch of money for OSU's tennis facilities.

And I honestly didn't expect any staff changes to be made. From what I've read the MSU disaster wasn't as much Beck's fault as it was Urban's. A couple early drops, the rain and Zeke's 3-day hospital stay that week led to Urban going to his crutch... the QB run.

I mean if that is the case it just frustrates me even more when people say "well then Urban needs to take over the offense!" Urban is not a freaking play caller, never has been. He has always been a scheme guy who hires play callers who understand his scheme.

Elliott had 16 more attempts in 2 less games in 2015 vs 2014. Can we stop with the "didnt use Zeke" bullshit now?

Oh, even better stats.... the 7th most attempts in the NCAA

Should have been 1st.

And I know where he didn't get a lot of his carries...against Michigan State 2015.

That's the point he's making.

I mean if that is the case it just frustrates me even more when people say "well then Urban needs to take over the offense!" Urban is not a freaking play caller, never has been. He has always been a scheme guy who hires play callers who understand his scheme.

Yeah, Urban gets involved when and where he feels necessary (see the defense in 2012 when he didn't feel it was aggressive enough early on) but he'll never "take over" on either side of the ball.

He makes decisions and will veto certain things and then the play caller(s) work with those decisions.

Should have been 1st.

And I know where he didn't get a lot of his carries...against Michigan State 2015.

I still don't believe he was healthy. 3 days in the hospital for an infection, you aren't going to be 100% 2 days later. It just isn't physically possible.

The leader, Henry, only has 3 more carries per game (which I believe you are always claiming that Saban is trying to kill Henry)

No one else ahead of him has more than 2 more carries per game.

That was exactly the point, but sure let's compare overall carries per year instead.

I still don't believe he was healthy. 3 days in the hospital for an infection, you aren't going to be 100% 2 days later. It just isn't physically possible.

The leader, Henry, only has 3 more carries per game (which I believe you are always claiming that Saban is trying to kill Henry)

No one else ahead of him has more than 2 more carries per game.

He certainly didnt look hobbled while he was in there, and then immediately said he wished he had more carries right after the game, but whatever, impossible to know for sure.

Fuck Saban, Fuck Henry.