Next Gen STi could be a hybrid

Grudes

http://www.motortrend.com/news/we-hear-next-gen-subaru-wrx-sti-could-go-hybrid/

Subaru is saying that the 17 STi could be a hybrid with the gasoline engine powering the front wheels and the electric motor powering the rear wheels. It doesnt sound very appealing to me. The gas mileage would be great but I dont think Mods would be very easy to do

Subaru is saying that the 17 STi could be a hybrid with the gasoline engine powering the front wheels and the electric motor powering the rear wheels. It doesnt sound very appealing to me. The gas mileage would be great but I dont think Mods would be very easy to do

I had been thinking about getting a '17 if they switched to the 2.0. I do not want to guinea pig their first DCT offering though.

The performance numbers are going to have to be amazing for the hybrid thing to fly though. The electric should help it launch like a beast, hopefully they can tame the weight and make it still turn corners.

if they do this im going to baby the hell out of my 16, it will be worth a boat load in the future as the last manual STI.

Subaru needs to keep the STI manual to me IMO is a huge selling point in today's new car segment i would completely have skipped over buying one if i couldn't get the 6spd

So what you are saying is Subaru is depressed and giving up on life and going to literally set fire to all their fanbase in one spectacular technological boondoggle. got it.

So what you are saying is Subaru is depressed and giving up on life and going to literally set fire to all their fanbase in one spectacular technological boondoggle. got it.

based off reading your other posts, this one disappoints me the most. You don't even try to argue or debate... you just gave up and wrote a slam statement. I'll be removing two points from your overall score for this.

based off reading your other posts, this one disappoints me the most. You don't even try to argue or debate... you just gave up and wrote a slam statement. I'll be removing two points from your overall score for this.

I think Subaru will get over the hurt feelings it has from one internet poster on an otherwise locked from the public forum.

Debate what? Prior to the 2.5Rs and WRX in this country Subaru in America largely sold to Lesbians, Oddball (mostly college professors) whom Saab and Volvo couldn't attract, and the random impressionable person looking for the honda dealership but got lost. Back in my high school days (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) the only kids that drove subarus were the hippy stoner kids of hippy stoner parents. Then we got the 2.5RS coupe and things got interesting, and the WRX came out and things got a lot more interesting. Subaru's modern legacy (pun intended) is based on them selling performance vehicles that could directly tie back to rally and road racing and the trickle down effect of the Renaissance that they are seen as building "drivers" cars and not just quirky appliances. BTW, this has happened before with the brat - the brat brought a lot of visibility to subaru and brought a whole lot of interest into showrooms but they couldn't sustain it.

Let me be clear, I dislike automatics, I am leery of hybrid drivetrains in performance street cars as the tech is still too new (but I will concede is doing amazing things), and I mostly dislike FWD cars. this new STi sounds complex for the sake of being complex to sell units, is going to require a whole new group of people with unique skills to do modifications, and generally doesn't sound all that enthusiast oriented. I get that the days of the boy racer stripped down STi pure race car for the street ended in 2008 and the role of the car is changing but there is taking your market into consideration and making logical evolutionary steps and then there doing something as a hail mary attempt to get more asses in subaru seats any way possible. This feels like the latter.

also let's not talk about disappointment, I read your build thread.

This. It will ultimately kill the STI, and make it a novelty IMO.

I know. I hope they dont do this, or at least just offer it in addition to a regular STi. It wouldnt surprise me if they did this though, their have been rumors of a hybrid for a few years, their have even been rumors of an electric turbo.

I wonder how much more it would weigh as a hybrid?

I thought the new STI and WRX had the WRX with more power?

No. The STI makes more power, 305ish to WRX's 268 I think. The confusion comes from the 5sp WRX's taller 2nd gear that lets it hit 60mph faster than the STI which loses time shifting to 3rd.

To make a hybrid through the road system that would meet performance expectations for an STi would be too expensive for the STis price point. That's not going to happen.

But it was very unclear from that article the type of hybrid system they are talking about.