Homebuyer Question - Radon?

Diamonds

No, just about every house sale in Franklin county now basically requires a radon mitigation system be installed as part of the sale. If you talk to your/or any realtor they will all tell you it's basically a contingency on most to all deals they are a part of.

So, I looked at a house that I really liked and I could see that they have a radon mitigation system which means that there is radon and they took care of it by putting a mitigation system in place with a monitor.

Would that still deter you from buying?

Ask to see the radon reports from when the mitigation system was installed as part of your due diligence. WHO recommends mitigation at 2.7 while the EPA recommends it at 4.0. If it was below 4.0, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the place.

We built our house in 2012, we don't have one, wasn't a requirement back then. We have a neighbor on our street that is a retired gentleman and does home inspections to occupy his time. He came over and tested ours for free, we average 4.0 right at the mark. It's my understanding that depending on weather and time of year the test can average more or less. Seems to me to be a kind of scam for these companies right now. Have been told companies like to schedule tests in rainy months as that seems to be the months with the highest values. We're not putting one in any time soon, don't plan on moving.

We built our house in 2012, we don't have one, wasn't a requirement back then. We have a neighbor on our street that is a retired gentleman and does home inspections to occupy his time. He came over and tested ours for free, we average 4.0 right at the mark. It's my understanding that depending on weather and time of year the test can average more or less. Seems to me to be a kind of scam for these companies right now. Have been told companies like to schedule tests in rainy months as that seems to be the months with the highest values. We're not putting one in any time soon, don't plan on moving.

It's not necessarily a requirement by law as much as people are just making it a condition to buy the house. 4.0 is a pretty fair number and most people will live or accept 5 and under. The concerns are more with those over 20. Many houses in New Albany and Dublin have been known to test in the 30's and 40's. Moisture does play a big factor so it wouldn't seem shocking that companies are trying to take advantage of it. It's a pretty nice set up for them, a 1/2 day or 1 day of work billing $800-$1000.

I think it's a scam.

I put sleep apnea with radon testing. If you have it tested, you have it.

Inspectors that were inspecting my home yesterday said they have been super busy with radon inspections and they have no idea why.

If your pulse Ox is in the 80s while you sleep bro, it's a problem. I had it, had surgery and lost weight, and retested and my Pulse Ox is in the 90s. Had it removed from my medical record for life ins purposes. It's very real.

People with COPD or lung cancer have resting pulse oxes, in the 80s and have to be on oxygen....

I think it's a scam.

I put sleep apnea with radon testing. If you have it tested, you have it.

Inspectors that were inspecting my home yesterday said they have been super busy with radon inspections and they have no idea why.

Side note: If you're getting tested for sleep apnea chances are you're symptomatic already... hence why alot of people "test positive". Sleep apnea is a very real condition but its an avoidable / treatable one as Benjamin mentioned.

If your pulse Ox is in the 80s while you sleep bro, it's a problem. I had it, had surgery and lost weight, and retested and my Pulse Ox is in the 90s. Had it removed from my medical record for life ins purposes. It's very real.

People with COPD or lung cancer have resting pulse oxes, in the 80s and have to be on oxygen....

Im not saying its not real, or not a concern. But I know many people who have been tested for little to no symptoms and they have it. So much like Radon testing, if you have it tested you have it.

radon testing ...lmao..it was a way someone found to make money..it's been around forever..who cares about it...coffee it's good for you it's bad for you...chocolate it's good for you it's bad for you..cigarettes..in the 40s & 50s they were ok..today not so much..I could on and on..radon..it's a scam..is it here yes..will it kill you..no

mace

Radon is fucking everywhere. Just a scam for money. Hope this helps :)

Dont be so sure. I personally know someone fighting lung cancer right now. Healthy, would (late 30s) never smoked. Got the cancer, no idea why. a year later he had his house tested and it was 6 times the accepted levels of 4 ppm

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/radon/radon-fact-sheet

Yes, it is everywhere. But there is a big difference from it being dissipated into the air, and you collecting it in a well sealed box that is your home!

Also I am sure as fracking becomes more popular down there, the problem will be augmented. This will be commonplace.