wine people...

HotCarl

So my girlfriends mom is a wino, loves the stuff. This woman is seriously one of the nicest people I have ever met and always buys me little gifts.

Last year she bought me a Christmas gift after her daughter and i had been dating for a month last year (yeah i felt like an ass and totally unprepared for the occasion).

I think she drinks white wine, not sure exactly what kind of white wine she prefers but what are some good labels? Looking to spend $50 or so? If that is a good price? I have always heard you can get a good wine for 10-15$ but I'm obviously willing to spend a bit more for something good.

So my girlfriends mom is a wino, loves the stuff. This woman is seriously one of the nicest people I have ever met and always buys me little gifts.

Last year she bought me a Christmas gift after her daughter and i had been dating for a month last year (yeah i felt like an ass and totally unprepared for the occasion).

I think she drinks white wine, not sure exactly what kind of white wine she prefers but what are some good labels? Looking to spend $50 or so? If that is a good price? I have always heard you can get a good wine for 10-15$ but I'm obviously willing to spend a bit more for something good.

You'll get as many suggestions as you do members here, so I'll keep it simple.

Rombauer Vinyards is good for white

Justin is good for a nice Cabernet

Sextant is a good one too

The above will be in the $20-$30 range at The Anderson's. There are tons of good ones. These just happen to be 3 off the top of my head that we like that won't be overly expensive.

I would buy 2-3 bottles, and a couple nice wine glasses. Have your girlfriend help you make a gift basket and call it a day. Joel Gott stuff is a great go to and under $20 a bottle. I wouldn't just buy whites, chances are she entertains so a red wouldn't be bad.

Tom

Inb4danceinstructorgoesonabout200dollarbottles

#elitism

I don't drink. Haven't in almost 4 years.

Costco has nice wines. Set a budget of 50-60 and go buy a few bottles to fill your budget. She will be more then happy.

And when I did drink I gave two shits about wine, it all tastes the same to me. I was a beer and scotch snob ;)

Costco has nice wines. Set a budget of 50-60 and go buy a few bottles to fill your budget. She will be more then happy.

And when I did drink I gave two shits about wine, it all tastes the same to me. I was a beer and scotch snob ;)

Same difference. #neversatisfiedmiddleclass

I bet your wife made you quit drinking ya cuck.

I'd suggest going to the Wine Bistro, or any decent wine shop really (Andersons included) and asking one of their experts if you don't really know what you're looking for.

Or as said previously, ask your girlfriend to snap a few pics of what her mom already likes and get a little variety pack and a couple of glasses. Throw in a red or two for good measure.

I'd also say that just because it is an expensive bottle does NOT mean it is an amazing wine. Wine is all about personal preference and one should never be judged for loving a $10 bottle.

I am not a huge white wine fan but I will tell you I do prefer Oregon wines and have never had a bad drink from Erath.

-Marc

I consider myself a wino (along with a beero and margaritao) :) , but to be honest most white wine is like the light domestic beer of wine. Red is where it's at. Are you sure she doen't drink reds as well?

Check out the Powell Village Winery in downtown Powell and Good Vibes Winery in Westerville. They both have VERY good local wine at reasonable prices and will assist you in picking the right bottle. I think going out of your way to buy something you can't pick up at the local grocery store is huge, and the prices are similar.

BTW, most whites are served chilled so maybe a couple bottles and a nice chiller would make a good gift.

To me the cheaper wines tend to be better tasting (less complex as well) and more expensive ones usually much more complex tastes and also usually much more acidic and tasting like the barrels they were made in, lol.

Wife loves the cheap ones and doesn't have the patients to drink complex stuff and have the "experience".