Garage air compressors

Lauren

My father in law wants to take and purchase an air compressor for me and some power tools. What's a good size tank and engine size to run basic power tools ( air ratchets, maybe a paint gun, impact wrenches etc).

I only have a standard outlet in the garage and now way to convert to 220 so please no 220 options.

If you can't run a 220v unit I strongly recommend electric tools instead. I started that way in the past because of space issues and have no desire to change. I also need (want) my impact at the race track to change wheels with and no easy way to have air there.

I have a Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact, M12 Fuel 3/8" impact, and the M12 3/8" electric ratchet which might be my favorite tool purchase ever.

The new Milwaukee Fuel M18 impact will do anything any air impact will do and be easier to use while doing it.

Edit: the only thing you'll give up to air is a paint gun, but a non-220v compressor won't be able to keep up enough flow for one anyway. The rest of the tolls are almost all available as electric options now.

If you want to be able to use a paint gun, or tools that consume lots of air volume, a large 220v compressor is the only thing not going to slow down your work. Smaller compressors won't do much more then fill tires. My air gun works fine at work obviously, bring it home on my (free to me) 20 gallon basic compressor and it will barely break loose 5 lug nuts before the compressor has to kick back on.

If you can't run a 220v unit I strongly recommend electric tools instead. I started that way in the past because of space issues and have no desire to change. I also need (want) my impact at the race track to change wheels with and no easy way to have air there.

I have a Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact, M12 Fuel 3/8" impact, and the M12 3/8" electric ratchet which might be my favorite tool purchase ever.

The new Milwaukee Fuel M18 impact will do anything any air impact will do and be easier to use while doing it.

Edit: the only thing you'll give up to air is a paint gun, but a non-220v compressor won't be able to keep up enough flow for one anyway. The rest of the tolls are almost all available as electric options now.

Agreed. A nice mid grade setup with run you $250-$300. I run all Ryobi stuff, and have never had an issues.

Go 1.5 bigger than you think you need.

Trust me.

This is 100% spot on. I went with a 20 gallon compressor and couldn't do much and went to electrical tools. Towards the end of summer depending on if there are any major surprises when remodeling the house, will pull the trigger on a dual-stage compressor and be done with it for what I need.

I don't do any painting and have never done any. But thinking if I had the opportunity to paint a front lip or bumper or something In my garage I would try it.

I would o my run impact wrench every now and then. Would mainly just be running an air ratchet 3/8drive.

I would o my run impact wrench every now and then. Would mainly just be running an air ratchet 3/8drive.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-Ratchet-Kit-2457-21/202957709

No air hose or loud compressor to deal with. Most satisfying tool purchase I've ever made.

Im with Smokey. Since buying up a few Milwaukee M12 tools I rarely use my air tools anymore. I havent bit the bullet for a large impact yet but everything else pretty much runs on batteries. You can buy a few batteries then just buy the tool-only at very reasonable prices. Obviously filling tires, etc air is still required but not much else.

I agree on the electric tools. Air tools just doesn't make sense unless you're in a shop doing professional work all day. I have a sweet ass detached garage with 220 power all around, a 120 gallon compressor, air plumbed all around the garage, and........

I only use it to fill tires, and my lift. Battery powered impact drivers are just too damn good, portable, easy to start up, clean, quiet, and versatile.

Jesus guys, I got the Milwaukee M18 hammer drill and Impact kit (the smaller 1/4" drive model, not the 1/2") for Christmas. Sounds like I'll be impressed, and will also invest in one of the bigger impacts.

Didn't realize what I'd been gifted, thanks Dad :)

I bought a 26 gallon Husky for $149 from Home Depot about 6 years ago (really good sale) and it has done well for me. I also have an electric impact for quick tire changes at the track or autocross or working on the car.

I will typically only use the compressor when I have tough/heavy bolt that I need to break free with the air impact (450 ft lbs tq) or when I need to air up tires or my air tank .

If you go with air, just make sure the CFM rating is up to snuff, but as stated, without 220, you will have to wait for ALOT of cycles to do any type of painting with something on 110. Same goes with a grinding wheel, I typically can get a minute or so out of the that before I have to wait for pressure.

I think electric has come a LONG way in the last couple of years and the market has started to flood with more tools, so price is starting to come down.

Not to mention, if you look for a 2 stage, you are going to be in the $1000+ range....and you can get some pretty nice electric bits for that without having all the annoying noise.

If I were starting from scratch right now, I would start an electric collection and figure out the painting some other way.....is painting something you do a lot of?

Painting is something I have never done but wouldn't mind playing around and see if it's something I can learn.

I think I'm going to go with the Milwaukee ratchet and impact. I'm sure my neighbors in our condo will appreciate not hearing a compressor as well lol

I have an electric impact that blew my old compressor out of the water (and it was actually a 220V). I bought it from Harbor Freight about 3 years ago for $30- only tool I own from there and it's been amazing.

yeah, I have two of those. its a corded 1/2" impact, and I use it to take lugs off. plug it in, and go. only knock on battery powered impact drivers is the battery will eventually shit out if you don't use it often enough. not the case with the corded one. I've had one for over 15 years--only had to change the brushes once. I even bought a spare just to have one in my other garage. and they are normally $49.95, but go on sale for $39.95

Jesus guys, I got the Milwaukee M18 hammer drill and Impact kit (the smaller 1/4" drive model, not the 1/2") for Christmas. Sounds like I'll be impressed, and will also invest in one of the bigger impacts.

Didn't realize what I'd been gifted, thanks Dad :)

My cordless 1/2 impact would only put the axle bolts on the GT3 back on to about 180 ft/ lbs. My brother's M18 1/2 impact got them all the way up to 300 ft / lbs making the final torque procedure quite easy.