Recommendation for a lawyer specializating in 2nd amendment issues

noobiemcnooberson.

Trying to be proactive and prepare as a just in case. Does anyone have any recommendations for attorneys specializing in the 2nd Amendment? Preferably in central Ohio area. A quick search came up with Derek Debrosse, http://www.ohiogunlawyer.com does anyone have any personal experience with him? Or personal experience with anyone attorney they would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I have chatted with Derek a few times in passing. I guess he is supposed to be "the guy" round here to work with. I do know a half dozen people that used him for either NFA trusts OR actual "I need representation" scenarios. Haven't once heard of a bad/unhappy experience.

Just have a clue who I would call if God forbid myself or wife were ever involved in some type of self defense situation. She works downtown and I worry about it. I'd rather have a lawyer lined up and never need one then to desperately need one and not have a clue who to call.

I'm not an attorney (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

BUT, if I had to choose:

A.) Something happens where I had to shoot someone to save my life, I had no idea who to call and ended up with court appointed representation.

or

B.) Something happens where I had to shoot someone to save my life, I have the best attorney in the state on retainer, and a forum thread (evidence) of me asking for said info "just incase"

I think I might rather be in position A.

BUT, if I had to choose:

A.) Something happens where I had to shoot someone to save my life, I had no idea who to call and ended up with court appointed representation.

or

B.) Something happens where I had to shoot someone to save my life, I have the best attorney in the state on retainer, and a forum thread (evidence) of me asking for said info "just incase"

:lolguy:

BUT, if I had to choose:

or

I don't agree. While I wouldn't necessarily put a lawyer on retainer, it is not a bad idea to have a reputable one in mind, and even go in and have a conversation.

Just have a clue who I would call if God forbid myself or wife were ever involved in some type of self defense situation. She works downtown and I worry about it. I'd rather have a lawyer lined up and never need one then to desperately need one and not have a clue who to call.

You don't need a "gun rights" lawyer for that situation, you need a criminal defense attorney specializing in assault or murder cases.

A gun rights atty is really for situations where you got caught violating Ohio's gun laws and the charge is related to that. In a situation where you've shot someone in self defense? The focus of any trial there is whether you intended to kill them or were acting in self defense, whether you were carrying legally or not may be important but will always be secondary to what happened in the altercation that caused you to use your gun.

The above attorneys may do that type of criminal representation as well, they both classify themselves as "general practice" which means they take anything that walks in the door, so they are probably still good recommendations. Isn't there a member here who does criminal defense? Drives that satin black hotrod with all the circle track parts on it?

Well I mean, he basically wrote all the carry laws in Ohio.

If you hear Ken or Buckeye Firearms tell it, sure.

Dereks firm does quite a bit of the legal work for Ohioans for Concealed Carry which also helps write/pass the proposed firearms laws. While Buckeye Firearms tows the NRA line OFCC isn't afraid to disagree with them to get stronger laws through.

A slight tangent but a couple books which mentally may help for this situation are:

After You Shoot by Alan Korwin.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob.

Both are very good and offer advice for what can happen depending on what situation you end up in. I have Derek's number programmed into my phone but I also want to know what to do or not do if God forbid I am put in a bad situation.

Chances are you will talk to a LEO or 911 operator before a lawyer. No one wants to make a bad situation worse by saying something that can lead to charges or a lawsuit.

A slight tangent but a couple books which mentally may help for this situation are:

After You Shoot by Alan Korwin.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob.

Both are very good and offer advice for what can happen depending on what situation you end up in. I have Derek's number programmed into my phone but I also want to know what to do or not do if God forbid I am put in a bad situation.

Chances are you will talk to a LEO or 911 operator before a lawyer. No one wants to make a bad situation worse by saying something that can lead to charges or a lawsuit.

Excellent advice.