Fusion Sport coming back

o0n8

My 2010 Fusion Sport 3.5L was a very nice car and did well up until about 40k miles when the tranny took a shit and then at 60k when the camshaft phaser system imploded. All together over $5k in out of warranty repairs. That was my first and last Ford. Nothing is made well anymore it seems.

All in all it will scoot much better and has some nice equipment. Mine stickered at just under $35k back in 2010. AWD was a stupid $9k option thus I passed on that. If it's finally included at that price that would be very cool.

Cool features for us business travelers:

A mobile version of the Concur expense-reporting app logs mileage in a journal for expediting expense accounting for business users. Eventseeker finds entertainment goings-on while Cityseeker offers restaurant and nightlife guidance. 4G LTE technology lets the owner locate a parked vehicle, start the engine, read the fuel gauge, and unlock the doors via their smartphone.

forgot that ford that I like is the Flex, not the fusion. Came in here to see a hot rodded modern long roof surf wagon from ford. find a $40K rental car with a slush box instead. sigh.

How come none of the American car companies offer a DSG like auto? 325hp and AWD sounds pretty awesome if we weren't talking about a torque converter and a slushbox.

the new ZF 8 speed is finding its way into everything, even the new S4/S5

^^ This. From what I've seen/read it shifts every bit as nicely. The up in power may be zapped a bit from the converter but shift wise, I think it's nice.

Stock the DSG's in the S4 clunked a bit upon rolling to a stop (removed with a tune) and have some things about daily driving it that the average Joe would likely not enjoy as much as say a true enthusiast thus making the move to a full blown auto tranny a logical move......for some. Me....I love the DSG, especially after applying a new tune to it. ;)

Also, Ford has a dual clutch in their low end cars, and its a POS.
A true dual shift system or more of a typical manual shifting auto-tranny like a tiptronic? Which car? My Fusion sport had manumatic ability but it was still just manual shifting an auto transmission. Nicely done but nothing more than fun or ease of use to hold a gear.

dual clutch

focus/fiesta

it's been a big headache for ford

didn't know. Shows you how much I care about automatics. Ford will figure it out. BMW fell on its face with the SMG tranny, and Porsche's "tiptronic" was a joke for a long time. Even VWs DSG had teething problems in the jetta and CC. This is the cost of new technology - sometimes you have to get kicked in the teeth before you make it reliable.

My 2010 Fusion Sport 3.5L was a very nice car and did well up until about 40k miles when the tranny took a shit and then at 60k when the camshaft phaser system imploded. All together over $5k in out of warranty repairs. That was my first and last Ford. Nothing is made well anymore it seems.

All in all it will scoot much better and has some nice equipment. Mine stickered at just under $35k back in 2010. AWD was a stupid $9k option thus I passed on that. If it's finally included at that price that would be very cool.

Cool features for us business travelers:

A mobile version of the Concur expense-reporting app logs mileage in a journal for expediting expense accounting for business users. Eventseeker finds entertainment goings-on while Cityseeker offers restaurant and nightlife guidance. 4G LTE technology lets the owner locate a parked vehicle, start the engine, read the fuel gauge, and unlock the doors via their smartphone.

Buy a Toyota? ;) Both of our Toyotas haven't had a single issue past normal wear and tear. One has 150k+ and the other 120k+. Oh, and AWD was well under a 2k option. :p

forgot that ford that I like is the Flex, not the fusion. Came in here to see a hot rodded modern long roof surf wagon from ford. find a $40K rental car with a slush box instead. sigh.

How come none of the American car companies offer a DSG like auto? 325hp and AWD sounds pretty awesome if we weren't talking about a torque converter and a slushbox.

I'm a bit of a fan of the Flex myself. However....

Track proven: The turbo is slower than my v6 RAV in the 1/4. Not that you buy one giving two shits about that, though. :)

Track proven: The turbo is slower than my v6 RAV in the 1/4. Not that you buy one giving two shits about that, though. :)

Edit: I read too fast and missed where the Flex was slower than the rav4. I am a tard. The only reason to buy a flex in my opinion is how it looks (coo as shit in two tone red/white or blue/white). If I wanted a surf wagon that peels I would look for a used magnum R/T with a roof rack.

That's interesting. I hear 325hp and AWD in a midsize sedan and I think there is a pretty good domestic alternative to the STi or the Legacy GT (which I know they don't make anymore), but if it can't get out of it's own way then what is the point? I mean what is a person cross shopping that would cause them to consider a 325hp AWD fusion?

Edit: I read too fast and missed where the Flex was slower than the rav4. I am a tard. The only reason to buy a flex in my opinion is how it looks (coo as shit in two tone red/white or blue/white). If I wanted a surf wagon that peels I would look for a used magnum R/T with a roof rack.

That's interesting. I hear 325hp and AWD in a midsize sedan and I think there is a pretty good domestic alternative to the STi or the Legacy GT (which I know they don't make anymore), but if it can't get out of it's own way then what is the point? I mean what is a person cross shopping that would cause them to consider a 325hp AWD fusion?

Realization they can't afford the Taurus SHO? I know, they could probably get the SHO used for less.

WRX is 276 hp IIRC and can come with an auto, but I don't think the STi does and the platform slightly smaller than a Fusion. Probably not many cross shoppers between these two I would think. The Legacy 3.6 only has 256hp, 2.5l has 174hp.

The article mentioned the Camry (not sporty to me in any trim) so someone wanting more power and/or AWD over the v6 Camry or similar Honda Accord Sport? We'll have to wait and see about driving dynamics.

With only destination charge and no options (there's not much yet on Ford's "]website) you could easily be out the door for $33k. That's entry level 3 series right?

And yes on the Flex looking cool in two-tone :)

The article mentioned the Camry (not sporty to me in any trim) so someone wanting more power and/or AWD over the v6 Camry or similar Honda Accord Sport? We'll have to wait and see about driving dynamics.

With only destination charge and no options (there's not much yet on Ford's "]website) you could easily be out the door for $33k. That's entry level 3 series right?

entry level 3 series is a 320i. That's a turbo 4 cyl making 180hp in a rear drive config (and still available in a stick). Step up to the XI and right away you are at $36K with that same 180hp turbo 4. the cheapest comparable HP bmw is the 340i at 320 hp but again RWD and now is $45K (and still available with a manual). Maybe you will get 1 or 2 strays cross shopping a bmw 320i in auto and seeing the fusion as a better value but honestly most people who buy bottom rung bmws are buying for prestige or fit and finish (man those german interiors are nice!!!) and not really rally car AWD hoonage.

so what are the 300hp cars at the below $40Kprice tag?

- Dodge Charger R/T

- Chevrolet Impala

- Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

- Volvo S60

- and???

The closest thing I can think of is the volvo s60. 325hp and $34K price tag (AWD is a $1500 option taking it to $35.5K). Is volvo really a threat to ford?

Camaro? Mustang? Or are you only thinking sedans?

only sedans. I guess the guy with kids who desperately wants an automatic ecoboost stang could conceivably settle for this but that doesn't strike me as a primary market strategy.

entry level 3 series is a 320i. That's a turbo 4 cyl making 180hp in a rear drive config (and still available in a stick). Step up to the XI and right away you are at $36K with that same 180hp turbo 4. the cheapest comparable HP bmw is the 340i at 320 hp but again RWD and now is $45K (and still available with a manual). Maybe you will get 1 or 2 strays cross shopping a bmw 320i in auto and seeing the fusion as a better value but honestly most people who buy bottom rung bmws are buying for prestige or fit and finish (man those german interiors are nice!!!) and not really rally car AWD hoonage.

so what are the 300hp cars at the below $40Kprice tag?

- Dodge Charger R/T

- Chevrolet Impala

- Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

- Volvo S60

- and???

The closest thing I can think of is the volvo s60. 325hp and $34K price tag (AWD is a $1500 option taking it to $35.5K). Is volvo really a threat to ford?

Good info on the BMW's. Never really priced them.

VW have anything? Golf R is more compact like the the Focus RS

I don't think Ford would consider Volvo a threat as they used to be part owners.

Camaro? Mustang? Or are you only thinking sedans?

Just sedans. I don't know if I'd want to meet the person looking at Fusions and Mustangs seriously when trying to decide on a new car.

• 2 weeks later...
Buy a Toyota? ;) Both of our Toyotas haven't had a single issue past normal wear and tear. One has 150k+ and the other 120k+. Oh, and AWD was well under a 2k option. :p

I'm a bit of a fan of the Flex myself. However....

Beat me too, well all of it!