Anybody ever do a V8 swap on a wrangler?

Geeto67

Hey all,

Anybody here have experience doing a modern v-8 swap into a YJ wrangler?

So I recently came into possession of a 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee (1998). Low mileage, I know all the owners going back to new, and I even used it to to my GTO last year when I was back in NY. I was going to buy it as a daily from my friend but last week it took a shot in the nose and insurance totaled it out. knowing I had a massive hard on for the thing my buddy gave me the truck to do a v8 swap on my wrangler. grill, bumper, hood, rad support, airbags, and front axle is shot, otherwise the engine runs fine, trans shifts, and the car is semi-driveable.

I have a 1995 YJ, stock 4.0L, 3.55 factory towing package, a/c car with approx 141K miles. It has an NV3550 out of a Rubicon and 30x9.5 tires on stock suspension. There is nothing wrong with the drivetrian but it's kinda tired and kind slow. not looking for it to be a massive speed demon mind you but rather something that cruises a little more effortlessly on the highway and gets better mileage. YJ weighs about 3000lbs even, and when new the stock 4.0L made 190hp and 225 ft lbs of torque. The new engine makes 245hp and about 345 ft/lbs. The 5.9 magnum engine weighs about 550 lbs and the 4.0 weighs about 515 so it's not throwing the balance of the car off that much.

I've done engine swaps before, mostly 60's GM a-bodies where the motor mounts are bolt in (and 1 jeep cj7 where I put an amc 343 where a 304 once was). This is going to require me to weld in some mounts which puts me slightly outside my comfort zone, mostly because at some point in the distant future I may want to restore this back to stock. I've owned this jeep for 20 years and I plan on owning it for 20 more. I am planning on swapping just the 5.9 while keeping my nv3550 trans, NP231 transfer case, and dana 35/30 axles.

So, my questions are for anybody who has done a v-8 swap:

how difficult was the engine alignment to do with weld in mounts?

was it worth it for power/economy?

breakage?

what was the hardest part?

Check out a group called the Muddy Buddys (facebook group and website: http://www.muddybuddys.net/main.htm), it is a pretty big group and a lot of people have done a lot of V8 swaps over the years with just about every year of Wrangler.

There is a TON of information out there on doing just about anything to Wranglers, just read up on it all. I don't know a lot of people that have V8 swapped the 5.2L or the 5.9L because of the cost and little improvement, but since the ZJ it came out of was cheap/free, I understand the desire to look into it.

It isn't that I am uncomfortable welding, I just don't have the equipment. My father taught me how to weld with Oxy, and I have used the metal glue gun (aka mig welder) a couple of times, but I just don't have it here. I think the plan would be to figure out how to get the engine mated to my nv3550 trans and then get that in place in the stock location (so I don't need new driveshafts) and figure out how to position the engine from there.

So far what I am figuring out is that I need a flywheel from a manual trans 5.9 magnum vehicle (5.9 flywheels are externally balanced), a clutch kit from that same vehicle, and a bell housing from a dakota with the 3.9 or 5.2 magnum engines. Why the dakota bellhousing? because the dakotas used AX15 and NV3550 transmissions and have the magnum V bolt pattern for the back of the engine, where as the jeep bell housing bolt pattern is different.

So, has anybody seen a dakota manual in any of the local junkyards lately?

sounds like a long run, for a short slide

190hp to 250hp?? and maybe 110lb/ft torque? nah. i didn't know they made v8's with that little hp. i don't think you'll notice a big enough difference. i'd sell the motor you have and look into an lsx based motor. i know that's the generic answer, but those motors get swapped into everything for a good reason

sounds like a long run, for a short slide

190hp to 250hp?? and maybe 110lb/ft torque? nah.

well, it's not meant to be a speed demon. You can only push a barn door so fast through the air. I had a CJ7 with a v8 and I drove a buddy's 90 yj with a carb'ed 350 chevy once and both of those just cruised nicer along at highway speeds and too less effort to get there.

i didn't know they made v8's with that little hp.

You and I are about the same age, surely you remember 1970's smog era used cars in the 1990's that were struggling to make 180hp out of 350 chevys. I get that you are kind of kidding but the 5.9 is really a metric LA Mopar 360ci small block and it's made everything from 400hp to 180hp.

i don't think you'll notice a big enough difference. i'd sell the motor you have and look into an lsx based motor. i know that's the generic answer, but those motors get swapped into everything for a good reason

LSX cost money. This cost me nothing so far (but will probably cost me about $1500 in parts when all said and done). I drove the ZJ donor before the car was wrecked and it is def a different character than the inline six. considering the zj has 900lbs on the wrangler it should make for a fun package.

Keep in mind this is going into a largely analog car: no abs, no airbags, no traction control, and I still fully intend to drive it in the snow in the dead of winter. I am not looking to kill myself trying to wrestle a 500hp roll over machine in the dead of winter, just want to put a little more scoot in it's boot.

also bragging rights. V8 wranglers come with bragging rights....lol ;)

As far as the engine mounting, have you thought about making brackets that bolt to the frame or crossmember? It would be easier to mock it up and tack it together with a buzz box then remove them and have them properly welded. Also would give you the ability to go back to stock fairly easily.

well, it's not meant to be a speed demon. You can only push a barn door so fast through the air. I had a CJ7 with a v8 and I drove a buddy's 90 yj with a carb'ed 350 chevy once and both of those just cruised nicer along at highway speeds and too less effort to get there.

You and I are about the same age, surely you remember 1970's smog era used cars in the 1990's that were struggling to make 180hp out of 350 chevys. I get that you are kind of kidding but the 5.9 is really a metric LA Mopar 360ci small block and it's made everything from 400hp to 180hp.

LSX cost money. This cost me nothing so far (but will probably cost me about $1500 in parts when all said and done). I drove the ZJ donor before the car was wrecked and it is def a different character than the inline six. considering the zj has 900lbs on the wrangler it should make for a fun package.

Keep in mind this is going into a largely analog car: no abs, no airbags, no traction control, and I still fully intend to drive it in the snow in the dead of winter. I am not looking to kill myself trying to wrestle a 500hp roll over machine in the dead of winter, just want to put a little more scoot in it's boot.

also bragging rights. V8 wranglers come with bragging rights....lol ;)

Don't you realize a LS dropout with a 4L60E and harness is under $1500? lol

Don't you realize a LS dropout with a 4L60E and harness is under $1500? lol

Automatic...:barf::gay2:

Also the LS adapter parts and new driveshafts nearly double the cost of the install.

The only drivetrain piece I may swap out besides the engine is the Dana 35 rear for a ford 8.8. Most people think the Dana 35 will scatter like leaves in the wind once the 5.9 is in.

Automatic...:barf::gay2:

Also the LS adapter parts and new driveshafts nearly double the cost of the install.

The only drivetrain piece I may swap out besides the engine is the Dana 35 rear for a ford 8.8. Most people think the Dana 35 will scatter like leaves in the wind once the 5.9 is in.

Why not a Chrysler 8.25 will bolt right in.

Why not a Chrysler 8.25 will bolt right in.

Strength vs cost really.

I can get a Ford 8.8 with factory 3.55 gears (the ratio I need) and an LSD for around $150-$200. Figure $170 for the conversion kit from MORE and new brakes and rotors and I am probably all in at $450-500 accounting for odds and ends. I have seen already prepped used 8.8s on CL for $450, but most of them have 4.10 gears which would require a swap.

Sure an XJ 8.25 would be cheaper, and it is slightly stronger but if you look at the drivetrain the 5.9 has been in front of, it is usually something like a Dana 44 (the GC I have is a Dana 44A, not a great rear but still stronger than a D35 and an 8.25). Also all the XJs are drum brake and even doing the GC disc brake conversion starts to push the cost of an 8.25 to within 25% of the ford 8.8. For the extra hundred+ bucks it would be, I'd rather have the 8.8 extra strength. Finally, 8.25 rears are not bolt in. XJs are spring over and my YJ is still spring under so I would still have to buy a mounting kit and it is the same amount of work to set it up.

an 8.25 rear is not off the table, just yet. however, I would have to find a 3.55 gear setup with LSD that has already been converted for it to be worth it.

so TL; DR the core 8.25 and ford 8.8 would cost about the same, but the added expense of setting up an 8.8 is offset by the increased strength. maybe.