Contractor to install exterior doors?

evan9381

• 1 month later...

Any further updates as to who you went with and pricing?

I just had Champion come out on Saturday to get pricing after I saw a commercial for 30% off right now. To replace 18 windows and a front door with sidelights, he came up with $19K. That was after the 30% off, plus 5% coupon, plus 5% home show discount. I basically told him to kick rocks.

Any further updates as to who you went with and pricing?

I just had Champion come out on Saturday to get pricing after I saw a commercial for 30% off right now. To replace 18 windows and a front door with sidelights, he came up with $19K. That was after the 30% off, plus 5% coupon, plus 5% home show discount. I basically told him to kick rocks.

I just had 14 windows installed at a rental (brand new Anderson windows from Home Depot) for $3400 lol. That's with all new windows, labor, trim, foam, caulking and trash disposal.

Amigo prices. They're good. Those crazy bastards finished all 14 in one day...incredible for 3 people. I had windows done at my own house (through insurance) and it took them 2 days for 11 with a crew of 6.

I just had 14 windows installed at a rental (brand new Anderson windows from Home Depot) for $3400 lol. That's with all new windows, labor, trim, foam, caulking and trash disposal.

Amigo prices. They're good. Those crazy bastards finished all 14 in one day...incredible for 3 people. I had windows done at my own house (through insurance) and it took them 2 days for 11 with a crew of 6.

I've heard those Anderson's from HD are garbage and the warranty is terrible. Can you confirm or deny?

I've heard those Anderson's from HD are garbage and the warranty is terrible. Can you confirm or deny?

I put them in all of my rentals, never had a single issue. One thing about HD is they are pretty strict with their vendors, so I'd have to think if something happened they'd cock slap them around until they took care of me. I even buy the 50 series, which is their lowest model. I've had some for 2-3 years and never experienced anything bad.

Put it this way- I bought high end Jeld-Wen French doors from Lowe's for my personal house and after 2 years the retractable blinds in the center of the glass stopped working. Jeld-Wen told me too bad.

Jack Oldham, Oldham Installations

He had a heart attack last week and he is officially retired after talking to his wife sad to hear is there anybody else you can recommend for interior door replacement

Edited by Mitch
removed phone number

long story shortened, I found a post on Reddit where a guy made a big guide to windows...basically said stuff the box stores sell (Pella, Anderson, Jeldwen, etc) are all junk. They use old technology, metal spacers, etc. Said Rosatti is junk because their frames are so big, it cuts down A LOT on the glass area. This guy even went as far as researching state by state the window manufacturers that looked best. For OH, he listed Polaris, Softlite, and Vinylmax (I think that was the name of the 3rd one). I emailed Polaris which is just a wholesaler, and they sent my email to a sales rep who sent it to a company here local. I checked with other companies that did Polaris and Softlite, but the prices weren't competitive with the first quote I got. The 2nd company that came out did both Softlite and Polaris, but the only way to be close was to do Softlite and the manufacturers sale which ended like 3 days later. Guy wasn't pressuring me at all, just a "here's what it is" mentality. I appreciated that. He was only at my house about 10 minutes to measure the windows, said it's X per opening, but after 12/31 the sale is over and the prices go back up like 35%. I also talked to a guy from that same thread who knows the guy I'm dealing with and said he's a good guy and they do good work.

So, Polaris is the window brand, Thermaweld line (it's their mid-range and supposed to be best bang for the buck). I've got 8 windows and he's got me at about $3800. His name is Cale Bowling and he's with Advantage Exteriors.

The doors though are looking like an extra $3k+, which isn't quite in my budget right now.

posts like this are why i miss the reputation button.

Thanks for the research.

Doors are wicked expensive for installation but i look at it htis way- its the first entrance thieves try - i want a good installation.

He had a heart attack last week and he is officially retired after talking to his wife sad to hear is there anybody else you can recommend for interior door replacement

I didn't see this and just called also.

Champion quoted me 12k for 15 Windows. I'd like some other quotes before I go that route.

Yeah I saw one of the other neighbors Sunday night and they mentioned it. I am going to edit my post so people don't call. Well nevermind it wont let me. Maybe a mod can

I didn't see this and just called also.

Champion quoted me 12k for 15 Windows. I'd like some other quotes before I go that route.

I had Champion do my siding a few years ago. They use subs for installs. A two day project took seven days. My contact guy there was on vacation during that time too. Spoke to the owner/general manager a few times, he was a dick.

My window installer retired, but I bought all the windows and doors I installed through APCO. The windows are Simonton and I like them a lot. I know APCO has contract installers. I've worked with them before and while the project did not go well it was not their fault (the sub-contractor screwed up royally, and APCO made it right). I would not hesitate to contact them again for work.

My window installer retired, but I bought all the windows and doors I installed through APCO. The windows are Simonton and I like them a lot. I know APCO has contract installers. I've worked with them before and while the project did not go well it was not their fault (the sub-contractor screwed up royally, and APCO made it right). I would not hesitate to contact them again for work.

I and my dad (contractor) both use APCO when we need a window done or rebuilt.

Just to update - I ended up going with Jack Oldham. It's been about a month now.

I'll give an honest review. Since he's retired, I don't think this will really matter. But, he was "ok". The old saying is "you get what you pay for". I got top line windows (Polaris Ultraweld double pane, glass breakage warranty), 2 doors, front door with a 1/2 wagon wheel at the top, grids between the glass, rear door 1/2 lite with blinds between the glass.

Windows, from the inside, look good. When I stuck my head outside, the caulking looked horrible. There was caulk in and over the weep holes. The weeps have a small flap that will let water out, and shut otherwise so dirt, bugs, etc don't get in. If there wasn't caulk over the weep holes, it was still hitting them and holding them open. He told me it wasn't a problem because how the J channel it, it would keep any water from getting there. Well, the weeps are there to drain any water that gets to the slider tracks of the window...nothing stopping rain from hitting the window and going straight down. He went around before the end and cut the caulking back to let the weeps open, but it's still bad. I plan to order new weep covers from Polaris (I only need 8 windows/16 covers) and have a buddy come out and at the very least cut away and recaulk the exteriors, if not redo all the J channels.

The doors were better. I've got a few marks on the doors that I had to use the touch up paint on, and a couple small marks that I can't seem to clean off and don't want to use paint because of where it is (the paint would probably stand out more than the mark). His reinstallation of the trim was ok at best. Joints don't line up perfectly like before, used silver nails on dark trim that stand out, hammered them in to the point where I can see hammer marks on the trim.

Now, I know this all sounds horrible, but let me say this. My house is a $125k house. I don't have anything fancy, and as such, I don't really expect Muirfield quality work. In addition, his price was insanely lower than the others I got. Just from Advantage alone, he beat them by I think around $2k. For 8 top of the line windows and 2 doors, I paid ~$4800. Even if I have to spend $200 on new J channel, caulk, and labor for my buddy to redo the exteriors, $50 for new weep covers (might even be less), and $30 for new trim and stain, I'm still $1700 less than the next estimate. I would say he was probably starting to slip up with his age. Caulking was my biggest complaint, and he probably should've hired someone to do the exterior work. The interior caulking looks fine, windows slide properly, lock, etc.

Jack is a good guy. Sad to hear he had a heart attack. Hope he's ok.

think he would be interested in cutting away bad caulking, installing new J channel, and re-caulking exterior windows? I assume it's not a big job, probably something one person could knock out in a day, so I don't want to bother someone with little jobs if they mainly do bigger projects.

I would say he was probably starting to slip up with his age. Caulking was my biggest complaint, and he probably should've hired someone to do the exterior work.

These were exactly my thoughts when you sent me the pictures. I had never had any work of his turn out like that, and with having a heart attack just a few weeks later, my guess would be that he wasn't feeling great. I remember one of my responses to your pictures was "man I hope he is ok".

I was planning on getting a new door this weekend from Menards. I'm not that picky as the original front door is wood and sucks bad. I was thinking of having someone from Menards install it. Has anyone had anything installed from Menards?

I was planning on getting a new door this weekend from Menards. I'm not that picky as the original front door is wood and sucks bad. I was thinking of having someone from Menards install it. Has anyone had anything installed from Menards?

It's probably a safe bet, the up side to using big box stores is they will always make it right. A few years ago my mom had floors installed by a Lowes contractor and he cut a few boards too short so they didn't meet the trim. They paid for the trim of her choosing plus quarter round of her choosing, painted or stained any color she wanted and installed throughout the house.

So while it's not ideal when they screw up its nice sometimes to have a big name behind it rather then any Joe that can fade into the night.

It's probably a safe bet, the up side to using big box stores is they will always make it right. A few years ago my mom had floors installed by a Lowes contractor and he cut a few boards too short so they didn't meet the trim. They paid for the trim of her choosing plus quarter round of her choosing, painted or stained any color she wanted and installed throughout the house.

So while it's not ideal when they screw up its nice sometimes to have a big name behind it rather then any Joe that can fade into the night.

Yeah. I had the one asshole who did my porch last year in concrete. Took months to come out to do it because it was "raining" or couldn't get a cement truck to haul it. Then he finally came out and it looked great but then after it rained the entire middle of the concrete pad held like an inch of water. :fuuuu:. I had to have same come out and cut a relief cut straight down the center to drain the water. :mad:

Ha. Lowes installed my grandma's wood floors about 10 years ago. At 6pm, they had about 20 sq ft to go, and said they would swing by the next morning. 3 days later, she calls Lowes and they ask "Oh how are your floors, we see the job was finished *3 days ago*" she responds that its not "oh but we have your signature right here that the job was completed". The installer forged her signature. They got someone else out right away to fix it, refunded her the full install price, and refunded 25% of the product cost.

think he would be interested in cutting away bad caulking, installing new J channel, and re-caulking exterior windows? I assume it's not a big job, probably something one person could knock out in a day, so I don't want to bother someone with little jobs if they mainly do bigger projects.

Unfortunately I don't think so, he's been on some pretty big jobs lately so it probably wouldn't be worth it for him to do. Sorry man.