WWCRD - V. Tire vibration

jeffro

2-3 weeks ago i had a set of 4 tires put on the accord. Immediately after driving it i noticed a vibration at speeds of 55+. Two other people riding in the car with me on separate occasions also noticed the vibration. So about a week later i took the car back to where i had the tires mounted/balanced and explained the issue. 3 hours later i pick up the car and they tell me 1 front tire and 1 back tire was slightly out of balance but only slightly and that they had rebalanced them. On the drive home i notice the vibration is there there. This time slightly less. I ignored it thinking it was some sort of false issue i was creating in my head, but a week later the vibration is starting to drive me crazy. The ride just isn't as smooth as it was before. What ever is causing the vibration is also causing the "helicopter" effect in the cabin. Like where you have the windows open just enough it sounds like helicopter blades. Its not nearly as bad as having a window open, but its definitely noticeable.

So, What would CR do? Take the car back and tell them the vibration is still there? Or man up and get over it?

Alignment? Probably just "not ideal" tires.

I had problems with mine in a similar way. Had to get a GOOD balance with a Hunter Road Force machine before it solved my problem. Don Hartman in Canal is A-MAZING and very reasonable in price.

Still the place YOU went should make it right. Also they need to be using torque wrenches when installing. Seems like that should be standard practice, but a lot of times it isnt.

Alignment? Probably just "not ideal" tires.

I had problems with mine in a similar way. Had to get a GOOD balance with a Hunter Road Force machine before it solved my problem. Don Hartman in Canal is A-MAZING and very reasonable in price.

Still the place YOU went should make it right. Also they need to be using torque wrenches when installing. Seems like that should be standard practice, but a lot of times it isnt.

Alignment was included for "free"...

is it a national chain store? if so take it to another one of these stores and have them figure It out. If it wasn't there before the new tires, then its something they did, or the tires and they should be able to figure it out.

Should of brought it to Derek.... maybe give him a call and get in with him and pay to figure it out.

Sometimes cv joints can cause vibration, might be worth having them checked.

you sure its not a wheel bearing? the "helicopter" that you are referring to is normally a wheel bearing or a flat spot from my experience.

2-3 weeks ago i had a set of 4 tires put on the accord. Immediately after driving it i noticed a vibration at speeds of 55

So, What would CR do? Take the car back and tell them the vibration is still there? Or man up and get over it?

If everything was fine when it went in, just changed tires and came out, could it really be something like that?

What tire did you buy?

Also if it's tire discounters, it'seems doubtful the alignment was even done

This is a bad rumor of competitors of tire discounters. They do full alignments.

Alignments are not going to cause a tire vibration though.

Jeffro what kind of tires did you buy? They need to be road force balanced and not every tire discounters has one of those balancers.

What brand are the tires? When I was working in Akron at a tire research site we had a lot of tires that we would scan the profile of to show low/high spots to see how truely round they were. Michelins, Bridgestones and some other tires were usually always pretty good, but there were a lot of cheaper tire brands and some good year tires (depending on plant) that were significantly out of round with a lot of low and high spots.

I have the same issue with my cooper tires I got from Sears last year. Took it to Derek for an alignment and before I went to him had a vibration. They balanced two tires it's still there. Haven't had time to take off work to take it back to him to check the other two.

Mine vibrates above 60 and only above 60. Doubt it's the wheel bearing since i've done them several times. I'm still thinking one of the wheel weights are off. You can really feel it in the pedal (not when braking) and in the steering wheel.

One of these days I'll take it back to Derek and have them mess with it.

To answer a few questions...

The tires i got were westlake RP18's. Yes, they were on the cheaper side, but that is still not an excuse to vibrate at highway speeds.

It just sucks dick going to drop the car off and being out of commission for however long it takes for them to work on it. The last time they quoted me 4 hours and it was closer to 5..

This is a bad rumor of competitors of tire discounters. They do full alignments.

Alignments are not going to cause a tire vibration though.

Jeffro what kind of tires did you buy? They need to be road force balanced and not every tire discounters has one of those balancers.

Then maybe my cherokee And girlfriends fusion slipped through the cracks? I can tell for sure neither were aligned, specifically my jeep since it has plenty of nuts to be loosened and tightened, I left two loose and when I got it back? You guessed it, still loose. And not one smudge of grease or dirt was altered on the others.... I've done enough alignments to tell when something was touched.

A week later I go to firestone and the alignment was way way way out. They had no knowledge of my suspecions, only had a role in confirming them.

Unfortunately this isn't a "TD" only issue, a lot of shops go with Good Enough brand of alignments. Those of us who pay to run $250,000 Hunter machines don't typically give those away for free with a single new tire purchase, just to quote a recent radio ad. In fact, it's the only service we don't discount even for CR.. at $99 per alignment you do the math on how many we need to do to pay for the equipment.

It's very possible a Road Force balancing will take care of your issue, a simple spin should make it very obvious what the balance on each looks like. Another thing that's not all that well known in the tire world is not all tires were born on the same day in the same location, and you can end up with one "bad egg" that's possibly from an older batch that got thrown on your ride.

Either way, I would head back to the shop take one of the managers out on the road and let him/her feel what you are feeling. If they can't or won't fix it time to check another TD location or have a shop look ya over.

To answer a few questions...

The tires i got were westlake RP18's. Yes, they were on the cheaper side, but that is still not an excuse to vibrate at highway speeds.

It just sucks dick going to drop the car off and being out of commission for however long it takes for them to work on it. The last time they quoted me 4 hours and it was closer to 5..

That is the exact reason. They are cheap, out of round, china tires.