Move To Cali?

wagner

If the pay justifies the move then I would go for it. Every 6-8 months or so you post about career change and wanting a different job. Here is a great opportunity to make the jump and I think you would be happier making mistakes at loving what you do instead of hating the fact you didn't get do what you to wanted to do because you played it safe. The selfish me wants you to stay so we never miss out on what you post, but it's one of those times you may just have to say fuck it and go for it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i had an interview with the NHRA tonight about a job, but the giant downside is it would require me to move to California.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around the fact I would have to move to a state where $150,000 buys you a 700 sq foot manufactured home, my car is so not legal, and every gun I own would have to be checked at the border.

They put the ball in my court as far as if I want to do another interview, but I just can't get my mind around the cost of living and the move.

What would CR do?

Without reading any other responses, you're in the photography / writing business is that correct? or at least that's what I thought your involvement was with them? If so, is there any way you can work remote?

Personally (if the balls in your court) I would demand a healthy pay increase over what you're currently getting and that's just to cover the cost of living, let alone moving costs. That being said, EVERYTHING I have heard about living in cali turns me off to the possibility of it ever being a reality. The traffic, the firearms laws, the taxes, the emissions testing on all vehicles and EVERYTHING is more expensive. However, if this is your dream job and once in a lifetime opportunity that you just can't pass up... maybe you should do it? Good luck to you though, sounds like an exciting possibility.

I'm waiting on more info from them, but the more I research it, the more the costs become more of a deal breaker.

I totally get the opportunity side of things, that is what keeps sucking me in, but when you really start digging into the cost of living it opens your eyes up.

Non-hood, 1 bedroom, 600-700 sq foot apartments start at $1,400-$1,600 a month.

And yes, I have been trying to find a new gig for over a year now, but there's a difference between moving a few hours away vs this.

The fact is, no matter what the media wants to try and tell you getting a GOOD job today is not easy at all. If you want to flip burgers, run a cash box, or pump gas those jobs are all over, but a solid job if you don't match exactly what the HR person is looking for is hard to get.

The only reason I even got a call on this is because of my racing background, media work, and a good word from the former track manager at Norwalk. in the interview the lady even said that my current job is so much different than this, it was a concern.

I thank those of you who have provided good input here and reached out to me off the board. I made the mistake in the past of moving for a "great opportunity that would help my career" and it was not.

I'm not going to make that mistake again, if I move it will be a very calculated decision to say the least. I don't have it terrible where I'm at, its just there is no future, I've peaked in my current role, and as a company they are not good at helping develop your options if you are not in the right office.

Hollywood has many thinking that Cali is where hopes and dreams come true. It's one of the most restrictive states out there. It would take $250k a year, to which I would live as close to being a bum as I could for 3 years. I would bank roll all I could, and leave with a stronger resume'. Cali and Florida are the same level of suck. Florida for the people and status, though there is a bit more freedom there.

Remember when you use to go shooting and it didn't cost $150 for a couple hours of range time.

Remember when you could mod your car, and not have it seized or be fined more than the car cost.

Remember when you weren't surrounded by vaping hopers that are so granola you want to set them on fire.

Edited by Mojoe

Hollywood has many thinking the Cali is where hopes and dreams come true. It's one of the most restrictive states out there. It would take $250k a year, to which I would live as close to being a bum as I could for 3 years. I would bank roll all I could, and leave with a stronger resume'. Cali and Florida are the same level of suck. Florida for the people and status, though there is a bit more freedom there.

Remember when you use to go shooting and it didn't cost $150 for a couple hours of range time.

Remember when you could mod your car, and not have it seized or be fined more than the car cost.

Remember when you weren't surrounded by vaping hopers that are so granola you want to set them on fire.

This gig does not pay anywhere near 6 figures...

The wife is all about it, but she does not understand the cost side of things I think.

I'm going to talk to a few more people who are way smarter than me and get their take. One of my family is great at poking holes in things like this and handing out real talk.

If life was easy, everybody would be good at it :)

The wife is all about it, but she does not understand the cost side of things I think.

I'm going to talk to a few more people who are way smarter than me and get their take. One of my family is great at poking holes in things like this and handing out real talk.

Nope nope and nope. Might as well stop there. You are going to spend in upwards of 25k for rent in a year, most likely for an apartment. taxes alone will then kill you. IMO it would have to be 100k or more to move to be comfortable.

Its a hard decision to make!

There's your answer.

The fact is, no matter what the media wants to try and tell you getting a GOOD job today is not easy at all. If you want to flip burgers, run a cash box, or pump gas those jobs are all over, but a solid job if you don't match exactly what the HR person is looking for is hard to get.

:dumb:

That drives me up the wall when you say that. HR has little to nothing to do with it- especially if you're applying for jobs you're not qualified for- of course they're going to skip over you. If you want to make a career change, you have to develop the skills before you start arbitrarily applying to any job that peaks your interest. You think I'm making this shit up, but where has your approach gotten you since we met 6 months ago? You can continue to blame "the HR people", but the fact of the matter is, you're applying to jobs you aren't qualified for, and until you do something about that, you'll continue making posts about relocation, this job, that job, etc.

I can start applying to CEO jobs, and when I don't get them, I don't blame anyone else but myself. In the last 6 years, I've applied to 7 jobs, interviewed at 6 and been offered 5. Do you know why? Because I'm applying to jobs I'm qualified for. I didn't apply to be an HR Director when I had 2 years of experience...

The answer now becomes 100% no. Basically divide a California salary by 2 to 2.5 to get a Columbus salary (give or take a bit). If they're offering you 80k, that's like making 32k-40k, or $15-$18 per hour here.

That drives me up the wall when you say that. HR has little to nothing to do with it- especially if you're applying for jobs you're not qualified for- of course they're going to skip over you. If you want to make a career change, you have to develop the skills before you start arbitrarily applying to any job that peaks your interest. You think I'm making this shit up, but where has your approach gotten you since we met 6 months ago? You can continue to blame "the HR people", but the fact of the matter is, you're applying to jobs you aren't qualified for, and until you do something about that, you'll continue making posts about relocation, this job, that job, etc.

I can start applying to CEO jobs, and when I don't get them, I don't blame anyone else but myself. In the last 6 years, I've applied to 7 jobs, interviewed at 6 and been offered 5. Do you know why? Because I'm applying to jobs I'm qualified for. I didn't apply to be an HR Director when I had 2 years of experience...

The answer now becomes 100% no. Basically divide a California salary by 2 to 2.5 to get a Columbus salary (give or take a bit). If they're offering you 80k, that's like making 32k-40k, or $15-$18 per hour here.

Sent you a PM to clarify my comment.

thank you for the wage breakdown, that pretty much put the tail on the donkey.

/thread

Then cost of living IS going to suck. It's a nice thing to have on a resume but you can't starve getting it. Although there's still no harm in going through the motions to see IF they will do anything or if you'll even get it. Getting up-to-bat is fun and experience under your belt no matter how you look at it. I still say you should do that. You never know, you might just strike the right cord with the right person and luck out.

Hell man, at least take the second interview. Find out what kind of package they are offering, and figure out how far you can push them. Living out there would certainly not be ideal, but you're young enough to take some risks in your life. Move on after that with the NHRA on your resume and the contacts you will make. Rent a place out there so you're not tied down and can move whenever is right for you. It's a stepping stone, nothing more.

+100.

1) Go back and confidently say you'll make the move, and take this opportunity as far as it will go.

2) Interviews go well, offer is decent.

3) Move to Cali, rent place (so no yard work) and run around as hard as you can after this position. Make connections, have a great time.

4) Always keep an eye out for an opportunity to come back to Columbus.

5) In 3-5 years, you'll be back and happy you did it.

I just think of all the times you've gotten shot down for job advancement, Brian. My God man...you have no kids...now is the time to go after a position like this. Mothball the Pontiac and take the DD out there. Figure out living arrangements after getting up to speed with the position.

Who knows? You may get some sales/business development job with a performance parts company out of the NHRA gig that will get you and the wife back to C'Bus with a career making six-figs you never would've gotten if you didn't get inside the industry...

EDIT: I just saw your comments about cost-of-living concerns: what can the wifey do out there for a job?

There's nothing saying you can't move out there and see how it goes for a while. Take that chance, etc.

However, I'm another guy who's lived in CA. It wasn't for me. Too expensive and crowded. People don't know how good they have it in Central Ohio until they move to a place where they can't afford shit. :lol: I have friends who don't even make enough to save for retirement properly. Yeah, you have all this great weather and you live in CA, but guess what, I'll be retired and you'll still be working your life away because you stayed there. :o

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it wasn't for me. Regardless, like I said, you can try it out, see how it goes for a while. There's nothing saying you have to stay and it will open up other opportunities... :nod:

Agreed,

1.research,

2. make a budget,

3. determine necessary salary

4. Go to second interview and ask for 10% more.

5. Make informed decision that's not based on us cr yahoos that don't know your personal shit!

6. No regrets (this one's the key).

Job is based in Glendora CA.

The cost of living is just insane out there.

The opportunity would be huge being a Social Media Manager for them and the exposure would be crazy.

Leanne has a friend who rents a 3 bed, 2 bath 1,000 sq foot house out there in Yorba Linda for an "affordable" $2,600 a month...

When I move out of state for jobs I look at my current salary and cost of living. Then do the same for the target city. From there I look at would I truly be getting a raise when taking into account the above.

Read some skipped most... I was a traveling nurse for a bit, but I had a girlfriend at the time so I never really let go of Ohio.

It's a big step.. I say if you can sell all your material possessions with no lady friend.. go for it. The housing is going to be a brutal blow compared to Ohio.

I was shacked up in a Red Roof Inn in New Haven, Ct for 1200 a month. Sounds decent on paper.

Untill every pimp or drug dealer rents the room across the hall from you and you hear a knock every ten mins. OR my favorite.. the construction crew who acted out all the WWE events every night on full blast wresting each other. Nothing like having a day off and being kept up by beer bottles and dry wall breaking.

Sometimes I wonder how things would be different if I would've went to Cali.. but I bought a house in the country in Ohio.

TLDR... no gf.. no cars your can't part with go.

Pack up go. nothing to lose

Don't be a weenie. If it's financially feasible, take a chance. And don't listen to some of these negative Nancys who'll never live outside of Ohio. There's a world to explore and experience. Give it to your family if it's possible. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sorry, but the people here who are saying "do it, take a chance"...you're wrong. He's taking a chance on something that may get him a 1/2 step ahead, but he's turning his life around to do it.

Yeah, I may live in Ohio the rest of my life but when I retire at 35 I can travel wherever I want. Living somewhere other than Ohio means literally nothing on the success scale.

Sent you a PM to clarify my comment.

thank you for the wage breakdown, that pretty much put the tail on the donkey.

Got it- heading to a meeting now and I'll respond sometime today. Always happy to help.

We don't know each other well and the two times we met you were pretty grumpy. However, based on what you write here I get the impression you are going to look for the negative no matter what the scenario. You are going to be slightly unhappy no matter where you are. You need to stop that. Focus on the positive.

What's important to you? I mean really important? although you haven't shared any details I assume the NHRA is asking you to do something that leverages your creativity in your feature shooting and video work. Do you know how rare it is that you actually get to make a living using your creative skills?

Also, you may not feel like it now but despite having excellent connections, you are still an "outsider" or a "part timer" to the automotive aftermarket and racing industry. Working for the NHRA will give you a lot of credibility and help you establish more connections beyond the ones you already have. Just wait and see how people will treat you different with NHRA on your business card.

The money conversation is a distraction. yes it is nice to have money and feel financial secure but if it starts to impede you from having really unique experiences and opportunities how valuable is it really? This may be a door way to other opportunities doing stuff you love - why let the cost stop you. You can always do it for two years and figure something else out, but whatever you got going on in ohio isn't working for you and you are complaining about it constantly.

the guns and car thing - that's just a stupid distraction. Cali is still the capital of hot rodding in America and there are ways to make it work - it's just a new set of rules to work with is all. People still go to shooting ranges and fire guns in California, and they still own 1000+ hp street cars. You aren't moving to a foreign country, and you can figure this out.

I say go for it. take chances, have experiences, live life.

Well, I would like to first thank those of you who reached out to me on a personal level, and provided some great info.

I hope this thread will also help others who are thinking about making a leap, Clay, Tim, and others provided some great points about why making a jump like this is great when the job is right.

However, after speaking with people who have made the move, or something similar and adding in the pay package this will not be a good move at all for me, in fact it would be terrible.

The money they are looking to pay was described as "poverty level", "intern-ish" and "insulting" for what I would be doing. This is from some of my media friends who live out there right now. Their theory is they want someone they can run into the ground work wise, and if they quit they won't be out much.

But, like any good member of the A-Team I have a plan that will involve a car chase, machine guns, and nobody getting hurt.

I'm going to speak with the hiring manager about the opportunity to do freelance work for them. They win because they get someone who can talk to racers and knows racing without taking a huge risk, I win because I get a little money, a bit more exposure, and some resume ammo.

TL;DR---If something does not feel right, no amount of lube can fix it, that’s just how life goes sometimes.

Yeah, this doesn't seem like a move you should make. Good call on sticking around here, great call on seeking freelance work out of it. Keep doing what you're doing, at some point the right opportunity will be there.

Well, this let down might be leading to something better. I job within the industry that will allow me to stay in Columbus.

Now the question becomes:

Do you do what you enjoy and make less money, or wait and hope you find a higher paying local job and keep doing media stuff on the side?

I wouldn't consider Cali for that little amount of money. While I've never lived I've been there many times and as mentioned, the cost of everything is just insane.

A big reason I chose Arizona is the good weather, cost of living is virtually the same as Ohio, and none of that Cali style BS. It helped immensely that my employer at the time was already based in Phoenix.

Your head is clearly in the right place, continue to be patient and you'll find what you're looking for eventually.