Yup. Worst "death by cop" story I've heard...at least for today.

zeitgeist57

Not Death by cop, just straight murder. Don't make is sound more confusing.

the guy was shot by a cop, therefore it is death by cop. god you're stupid and annoying

Thanks, Gawker. I now feel sorry for some dude who was killed at a La Quinta Inn...crying on all fours with his shorts down

+1 Clay, this poor guy :no:

very educational....now I know it's not a good idea to point any type of rifle out a hotel window. He learned that lesson too.....I learned it much easier. Also...who brings a dead sparrow back to their hotel room? This story seems complete and legit.

Fishy story, to put it mildly. Also, you're not shooting anything but an air rifle inside a Walmart. If true, this guy got shot for playing with a BB gun in his hotel room. All of a sudden I'm done cleaning my guns at a table in the back yard...strictly a garage job now. Yeesh.

The media here has been pounding this to death and trying desperately to get the body cam footage released. It seems as though the former officer is probably going to end up in prison from what's being said of the cam footage.

Keep in mind the officer was not fired because of this, he was fired over a personal engraving on his rifle which apparently was not allowed by the department.

Keep in mind the officer was not fired because of this, he was fired over a personal engraving on his rifle which apparently was not allowed by the department.

The engraving that read "you're fucked" on the side of his personal AR15. Is that the engraving you are referencing? The one that was in the rifle when the Mesa police approved the weapon for duty? The one that I'm sure all his buddies in the pct thought was funny until the moment where he actually murders someone? The one that the prosecutors office and the victims attorney is going to use against him in court to show a callous disregard for human life? Just checking.

They needed to fire him so he could be charged without the Mesa pd having to take responsibility once the murder charge hit and to give him a fighting chance in court. But if you think it is unrelated, you are just kidding yourself.

The engraving that read "you're fucked" on the side of his personal AR15. Is that the engraving you are referencing? The one that was in the rifle when the Mesa police approved the weapon for duty? The one that I'm sure all his buddies in the pct thought was funny until the moment where he actually murders someone? The one that the prosecutors office and the victims attorney is going to use against him in court to show a callous disregard for human life? Just checking.

They needed to fire him so he could be charged without the Mesa pd having to take responsibility once the murder charge hit and to give him a fighting chance in court. But if you think it is unrelated, you are just kidding yourself.

I never said they were unrelated, I haven't followed this case that closely but did notice the linked article didn't mention the reason for the firing which is why I mentioned it. I'm well aware of the politics that go on in anything like a police department.

Just wanted to get it out there because the image of a uniformed police officer gunning down a civilian who is crying in a ball on the floor at close range with an AR15 with "you're fucked" written across it is a pretty enraging mental image. I mean it is no wonder people don't feel safe around police officers anymore, stuff like this sends the wrong message.

Just wanted to get it out there because the image of a uniformed police officer gunning down a civilian who is crying in a ball on the floor at close range with an AR15 with "you're fucked" written across it is a pretty enraging mental image. I mean it is no wonder people don't feel safe around police officers anymore, stuff like this sends the wrong message.

you mean the same civilian that earlier was pointing a rifle out of a hotel window? The same civilian that had been doing shots earlier? The same civilian that was warned multiple times that if he moved wrong again he was going to get shot? Lets not forget to put some of the blame where it belongs....on the drunken idiot that was pointing a rifle out a window. You can't do that in this day an age and not expect a dozen jumpy cops on your doorstep. Had that guy of killed 10 people the cops would've caught shit for not doing their job. They can't win and the media and anti-gun people love to come down on cops which have some of the toughest jobs in this country.

you mean the same civilian that earlier was pointing a rifle out of a hotel window? The same civilian that had been doing shots earlier? The same civilian that was warned multiple times that if he moved wrong again he was going to get shot? Lets not forget to put some of the blame where it belongs....on the drunken idiot that was pointing a rifle out a window. You can't do that in this day an age and not expect a dozen jumpy cops on your doorstep. Had that guy of killed 10 people the cops would've caught shit for not doing their job. They can't win and the media and anti-gun people love to come down on cops which have some of the toughest jobs in this country.

Way to victim blame.

Well if you read the article it is unclear who was pointing the rifle out the window, as there were two individuals in the room playing with the rifle. But that is beside the point.

Dude is practically naked (in his underwear), on the floor complying with every command the officers have given to him up to the point his underware fell off. If they were that worried about the individual drawing a weapon that he visibly did not have because not only was he in his underwear but he was shot for pulling up his drawers when they fell down, they have hand cuffs. A handcuffed suspect cannot draw anything. I mean really, is your argument really that the dude had this murder coming because he didn't want to be naked? Its a shitty argument.

Is there an expectation that the victim should have known police would investigate a rifle being pointed out a window? yes. But if we have gotten to the point that we should expect to be shot when police show up at our door and we comply with commands then law enforcement in this country really is fucked.

I don't see where anybody in this thread has made it an anti-gun issue, except where you brought it up. This is a law enforcement issue.

the officer is being charged with murder in a jurisdiction known for being absolutely corrupt in favor of law enforcement to the point where the DOJ has even sued them for violations of due process and evidence tampering. The officer will have his day in court but that should tell you something if they are willing to go that far.