New TV.

Sturg1647545502

TLDR: want a new TV. what should I get & where should I get it from.

So I had knee surgery this week and am going to be laid up for a few months, which means it's time to upgrade the TV. Unfortunately I don't know where to start when sorting through the mounds of new TV innovations that have taken place since we last looked at TV's. Were going from a 8 year old Olivia 47" 60hz to something that will primarily be used for xbox1, sports & streaming youtube videos. We also have direct TV.

We don't upgrade TV's that often so we might as well make this count but that doesn't mean I wont consider "last years" models. We've been looking at the Vizio M series; 4k, 240hz, somewhere in the 55-65" range. CNET seems to like the M series and Groupon has some pretty attractive deals on refurbed TV's

CNET- (http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2015/)

Groupon deal- (https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-vizio-m-series-4k-uhd-smart-led-hdtvs)

I feel like the price & quality is right...anyone have other suggestions to offer up?

The other question is where to buy it from. I have no problem taking risks on open box items or refurbed units. Besides amazon, newegg & groupon & the local stores, where else should I consider sourcing my new TV from?

Danke.

We recently picked up a Vizio 60" from Target. It was originally ~ $900. They had it on sale for $700, then used the Cartwheel App for another 10% off.

Good Luck!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I have this TV. Paid $685 for it 3 years ago stacking target coupons. Zero zero zero complaints. Got the matching vizio sound bar and only need 1 remote to control both.

Pretty sure I bought the same TV as jeffro and KillJoy last year. I was originally looking at 4k but there isn't a wealth of media available in 4k yet so rather than pay twice the price for 4k i went 1080p 240hz. I bought mine at walmart during christmas eve for $698ish (it has netflix and all that crap built into it too)

I was a bit weary about as I've never owned a vizio but I have no complaints out of mine. The picture is amazing, out of the dozen or so TVs i looked at in the price range this one was probably the best. The built in speakers have been fine for me, although a little tinny.

All in all, I'll probably wait until I have to buy a new TV before I go the 4k route, and hopefully by then cable, netflix, etc are all on the 4k page.

If you buy a Samsung, they are all basically MAP pricing, so everyone will have the same price.

As far as Vizio and other brands, I haven't had a whole lot of experience with them.

My Samsung UN65JS8500 is amazing and has fantastic picture quality. UHD 4k up scaling works decently and I cannot complain about the TV one bit.

The fact I got it from Amazon and they shit the bed on delivering on time made it frustrating, but I was able to get free gas for 2 people for over a month with the Giant eagle fuel perks, so I was more annoyed than anything.

Seems like 4k will be a real thing shortly, so If you are buying a TV to get you though, it may not be worth it, however the 4k train is coming. I would say in less than 3-5 years 4k will be as common as 1080p is today.

Posting so I'm subscribed to this thread. I get these weird bonuses from FCA that come in the form of "points" to spend in the company store. All the prices for things are outrageous because they're based on MSRP for whatever you buy, but Samsung and LG tvs can be had for a reasonable cost so I'm looking at one of those in the 55-65 range. I've always wanted a samsung tv but every LG i've had was great and customer service was fantastic.

The Verdict-

Pulled the trigger on the Vizio M60 C3 refurb via groupon.

Decision making process-

After I made my this thread and read some of your replies I started to consider other TV's and then decided I had reached the point to where i just needed to go look at them for my self. But before I left the house I made the mistake of trying to understand exactly what the refresh rating on TV's actually mean. This lead me down a spiraling rabbit hole that that left me with two conclusions. 1) Most refresh ratings fluctuate, at best should come with a caveat and each manufacture arrives at their refresh rate via a different process which makes it very difficult to compare and contrast TV's across the board. 2) None of this really matters and I just need to go see what I like for my self.

We ended up visiting a few local stores (best buy, walmart, target), pitted them against each other, considered using their line of credit, buying gift cards for fuel points and incorporating coupons. I also have access to some corporate discounts that were considered. In the end, simply based on actually looking at them it came down to the Vizio and the Samsung products. I feel that my wife & I arrived at this conclusion on our own but it may have been influenced by the reviews & information we read prior to leaving the house. Non the less the decision was made that which ever product could be obtained for less we would go with. And that's how we ended up with the Vizio. The only down side is the Vizio is being shipped and will take a week to get here. Had the price margin been any slimmer & had I really had a hard on for taking a TV home that day I would have ended up with a Samsung.

I feel that we used a good process & even though we came back to the TV we first considered, we exhausted our options and are happy how we arrived at our final decision.

Additional articles that helped us during our decision making process

CNET's refresh rate piece (has links to other articles that we glossed over)

http://www.cnet.com/news/fake-refresh-rates-is-your-tv-really-120hz/

The wire cutter's best TV article. Comprehensive & also has links to other articles. This is a bit of information to digest but gives you the option to just read the conclusion or each and every detail.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

There are amazing deals on here all the time for TV's among other things.

http://slickdeals.net/

This is really similar to the TV I picked up. $1000 + a $400 gift card to dell.com. I went for lowest price because I didn't have any need for the giftcard (its a common deal) and found the TV for $700 shipped.

I have two Vizios and I love them. Never have had one issue with them. I went with a 65" Samsung on black friday just because of the deal I got. So far so good.

Vizio is a pretty interesting company regarding their start up, market share & trajectory. Like I said earlier I don't buy TV's often but I've liked them for a long time...they're kind of like Honda. Started out as a small, reliable and, most importantly, terrific value for money company that really lit off.

There are amazing deals on here all the time for TV's among other things.

http://slickdeals.net/

I looked at that site once yesterday but didn't see any deals that really stood out. Maybe I should keep a closer eye on it.

Vizio is a pretty interesting company regarding their start up, market share & trajectory. Like I said earlier I don't buy TV's often but I've liked them for a long time...they're kind of like Honda. Started out as a small, reliable and, most importantly, terrific value for money company that really lit off.

I looked at that site once yesterday but didn't see any deals that really stood out. Maybe I should keep a closer eye on it.

New stuff pops up daily. I've purchased three TV's on there all at the lowest price that given TV has sold for anywhere. If you get involved there are forums and a huge crowd that pretty much bash any deal thats not a deal. Not to mention reports for price trends, etc.