Bad gas mileage on a 03 Tundra

Johny Utah

I just bought a 03 Tundra 4x4 V8 limited. It has newer BF Goodrich all terrains on it. I have installed a Volant cold air intake an air raid throttle body spacer, Denso iridium plugs, Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil, And also changed the front and rear differential oil and transfer case oil to Royal purple gear oil.

The gas mileage has not gone up. Am I stuck with this gas mileage? It's getting around 14 mpg with city and highway mixed.

Yeah, expect any older 10+ year old full-size V8 truck to get under 20 mpg almost guaranteed. I've been looking at work trucks (Tundras being one of them) and they are all fairly similar with the exception of older Rams (horrendous mileage)

I thought the tires are not helping. There is 35 psi in the tires now. It would be hard to keep it around 60 on the freeway. I thought I could get around 17 to 18 mpg with what I did to the truck.

Are they LT tires by chance? give 40psi a try.

Make sure everything is in good order, ie nothing is dragging. Try getting it around 35 or so and popping it in neutral, see how well it rolls. Not sure you'll find anything. You'll likely have to deal with lame gas mileage on an older 4x4.

I agree 14 is pretty decent. Now one thing that kills mileage on the v6s ( I know you said v8) is an old/sticking thermostat. If you have a lot of miles it might be worth looking into. They get weak and dont build proper pressure thus the engine wont heat up to optimum temp and then the computer compensates by dumping fuel.

Also clean the MAF....especially if that new filter is oiled.

I just bought a 03 Tundra 4x4 V8 limited. It has newer BF Goodrich all terrains on it. I have installed a Volant cold air intake an air raid throttle body spacer, Denso iridium plugs, Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil, And also changed the front and rear differential oil and transfer case oil to Royal purple gear oil.

The gas mileage has not gone up. Am I stuck with this gas mileage? It's getting around 14 mpg with city and highway mixed.

Did you really think any of that stuff was going to make a noticeable difference? Try some O2 sensors and a new mass air, money better spent.

You could try and offset some of the wheel weight by getting lighter wheels. SCS makes pretty darned light Toyota specific offerings, but that money spent wont be worth it to offset any fuel costs...just might get you some more miles per tank and make the truck look better. OEM Toyota wheels are all around 30# each...and the SCS ones can be in the teens I think.

I have a 2006 Double cab (Non-4x4) and 16 is the average in the city. The 4x4 versions were about 1 mpg less so you are close. Freeway you cannot get over 21 mpg (20 for you with the 4x4)

Have same ghetto Volant (Noisy as hell) CAI and it might help a bit. End result/cause is the motor/drivetrain.

* Assuming the big tires (Even @ 100PSI) is another factor.

Solid truck even supporting Opec : )