Weed Eater Woes

jeffro

Yes seriously,

Homelite st-145. Looks like this.

Received from my boss for free. Said it needed gas lines because it had been sitting for a while.

Picked up the gas line rebuilt kit at TSC. This included the primer bulb (old one shatter when i pressed it) and gas line + fuel filter. Tore the carb down and cleaned it best i could with carb and choke cleaner. Gaskets looked okay so i put it back together with new primer bulb and fuel lines. Fired up first pull but seemed to be struggling when unchoked. Idled fine but died the instant i gave it throttle. Tore the carb down again to do some additional cleaning. Made sure all passage ways were clear and flowing freely. Removed needle valve and cleaned the rubber tip and passage way. Put everything back together and now it wont start at all. Any ideas? When reassembling the needle valve assembly it didnt seem like there was much travel.

Primer bulb fills just fine with pressed.

I'm so over gas weed eaters.

Nathan had a very nice poullan that was a couple years old. Every year, like the mower he did what he was supposed to for winterisinf and last year it was virtually impossible to get started- he checked all the normal stuff and after usually 20 mins or so he could get it started.. so this season He rebuilt the carborator and put new fuel lines on and BLAM- ran great!!! Six days later the fucker won't start again.

Tl;dr gas weedwackers are stupid; we bought an electric one

I'm so over gas weed eaters.

Nathan had a very nice poullan that was a couple years old. Every year, like the mower he did what he was supposed to for winterisinf and last year it was virtually impossible to get started- he checked all the normal stuff and after usually 20 mins or so he could get it started.. so this season He rebuilt the carborator and put new fuel lines on and BLAM- ran great!!! Six days later the fucker won't start again.

Tl;dr gas weedwackers are stupid; we bought an electric one

This. Batteries have gotten so much better that cordless ones have quite a bit of power and plenty of charge. Pretty sure I'll be getting a battery powered mower when needed as well. Granted my yard is on the small side.

Bought the 40 Volt B&D electric weed eater (With a spare battery) and have not looked back. The auto-feeder also works well. Lots of stuff to clean up around and about a half acre..

Probably better battery ones, but this one is great

http://www.blackanddecker.com/products/lawn-and-garden/lawn/string-trimmers/40v-max-lithium-high-performance-string-trimmer-with-power-command/lst136

Black and Decker are on my "throw away" list. Anything in the last two years seems to have a short life, for even light use. Although I'm not sold on the battery powered weed wacker all together, I see it for use on many homes.

OP, I had run into the same things a few years ago, and I think I ditched the whole damn thing and bought a new one. I have a thread on here about it some where. used it last night for the first time this season and it fired right up. Gas, over battery for me right now.I just don't think battery will produce the torque and higher power on the larger than normal lot that I maintain.

Edited by Mojoe

I have Stihl line trimmer, chain saw and blower. I abuse them. They run. I wish Stihl made motorcycles, cars and trucks.

Don't tempt me. I have a stihl ms290 that needs a friend.

I have not tried dicking with the fuel screws. No idea what I'm doing there. Might need to read up on it.

Cleaned everything and put it back exactly as I found it. When I got home today I decided I was gonna tear it down again but just for shits and giggles pulled the cord just to see. Bam, fired right up and ran perfectly for 20 minutes I used it. No idea what was preventing it from starting but all I good, for now.

I got a toro 12v battery powered from my neighbor in Dayton because he "killed it" plus he was moving. I pulled the trigger and it popped the reset. I untangled the mess of trimmer string from the head, pulled the trigger again and it worked perfectly. I offered it back to him fixed and he said, "nah, you fixed it, it's yours". I've been using it now for the past 15 or so years. Replaced the battery once in all this time.

Cleaned everything and put it back exactly as I found it. When I got home today I decided I was gonna tear it down again but just for shits and giggles pulled the cord just to see. Bam, fired right up and ran perfectly for 20 minutes I used it. No idea what was preventing it from starting but all I good, for now.

You think it might have needed more priming? Or, maybe it ended up being flooded from trying to start it?