2017 Fiat 124 Miata-edition

zeitgeist57

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/top-down-pricing-2017-fiat-124-spider-starts-at-24995/

Not gonna lie, I think it's a beautiful car and I like that the chassis underneath is a Miata. Sure, you get the 1.4L Turbo from the Abarth of questionable long-term reliability, but this could be a fun runabout in 10 years when you can pick one up for less than half price.

However, $25-30k for a less-than-200hp convertible is a bit steep. There are better track cars/cruisers for less money in the 1-3 year old used market.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/top-down-pricing-2017-fiat-124-spider-starts-at-24995/

Not gonna lie, I think it's a beautiful car and I like that the chassis underneath is a Miata. Sure, you get the 1.4L Turbo from the Abarth of questionable long-term reliability, but this could be a fun runabout in 10 years when you can pick one up for less than half price.

However, $25-30k for a less-than-200hp convertible is a bit steep. There are better track cars/cruisers for less money in the 1-3 year old used market.

Honestly there haven't been many 1.4L Turbo issues that haven't been related to idiots poorly modifying their cars. Our experiences with them have been very good.

Keep in mind that sub-200hp is also on a car that weighs under 2500lbs. I won't argue that a Camaro or Mustang will provide a hell of a lot more horsepower, space, etc for the same price, but no one can argue it'd be the same driving experience.

Most importantly, the Abarth version starts at $28k and has a proper mechanical LSD standard along with a tiny hp bump.

Mazda is seriously pissed about this car. They expected this to be priced stratospherically higher than the MX-5, but with 46 more lb ft of torque at almost half the RPM of the Mazda powerplant, I think the FIAT is going to be stiff competition for the average driver. I doubt the FIAT will outperform the Mazda on the track though, it's designed more as a grand tourer.