Oil drain plug....yeehaw

2 Sweet

So I bought an old truck last month. First oil change on Sunday, and I notice it has one of these little peckers on it...

DV_WebLarge_I_KT11778.jpg

....which tells me some jackoff stripped out the threads in the oil pan. Lovely.

After I removed the toggle plug, I had to fish out the "toggle" part of it, whatever the hell that little folding piece is called. It was still in my oil pan after I removed the bolt. Nothing a flexible magnet stick couldn't take care of, but still kind of annoying having to fish it out.

Anyway, I replaced the shit plug with an "oversized" drain plug from O'Reilly. The self tapping kind that cuts it's own thread and comes with a fucky little plastic gasket. Now, my truck that didn't leak a drop of any fluid whatsoever, is leaving a couple drops of oil on the pavement from the drain plug. Of course.

My question is this: I want something cheap and easy to fix it, without replacing the pan, and I want something more permanent than those god damn toggle plugs. Can I just keep using the new oversized bolt every oil change, but with a rubber washer next time instead of the plastic garbage? Or do you think I'll have to HeliCoil it?

Your probably just going to have to replace the oil pan if you want it to stop leaking completely. The oversize drain plugs always leak and by the time you dick around with a heli-coil that may also leak you might as well just replacethe oil pan. At least its a truck and you dont have to drop a cradle out of the way or anything.

Should've just loosened the toggle bolt to drain it and tighten it back up.

What kind of a pan is it? If it's just a sheet metal pan you're fucked, aluminum you might get lucky and tap a bigger hole, but I think you realize that you get what you pay for and need a new pan.

You should be able to keep reusing the bolt you have now. Another option would be to order that quick change valve and put that in there and never worry about a bolt again

I've heard about those but I have no idea how they work as far as permanently replacing the bolt, so I'm not sure it would fix the leak

I've heard about those but I have no idea how they work as far as permanently replacing the bolt, so I'm not sure it would fix the leak

I think you'd have to get one with a larger thread size and tap the hole out, wouldn't be much help. They are nice though in general, just no help here.

Get a Fumoto valve. Just find one with the larger threads...youll NEVER have to take it out again and enjoy the amazingly clean oil changes. You could even use some sort of sealant with it if a leak is your concern. Once its in, no need to take it out.

Been using one for a few years now

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/6D725956-351F-4030-B577-7EE6C0BF61DA_zps7hapte3k.jpg

Get a Fumoto valve. Just find one with the larger threads...youll NEVER have to take it out again and enjoy the amazingly clean oil changes. You could even use some sort of sealant with it if a leak is your concern. Once its in, no need to take it out.

I use one on my tacoma. Works great as long as the oil is warm.

Turn valves - I've been thinking about this for my Civic a while now given how much CLE-CBus commuting I do these days. Nice to know they're CR-endorsed :) One question... how tightly is it recommended to turn these suckers, given that the intent is to never take it back off?

Turn valves - I've been thinking about this for my Civic a while now given how much CLE-CBus commuting I do these days. Nice to know they're CR-endorsed :) One question... how tightly is it recommended to turn these suckers, given that the intent is to never take it back off?

They come with a pretty thick gasket. you basically turn it until tight then just enough more to align the handle up out of the way.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/6D725956-351F-4030-B577-7EE6C0BF61DA_zps7hapte3k.jpg

Boom exactly what I was talking about

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...