Buying a TV soon: 1080 vs 4k?

El Karacho1647545492

I'm looking to buy a TV in the near future, within the next 4 months. Might pull the trigger today, might hold off.

If you're buying a TV today, do you spring for the 4K in anticipation of support arriving for it through cable/streaming platforms? Or do you snag a deal on something 1080p and wait for 4k to be fully supported before buying a 4K TV.

I'm looking at 60-65" TVs mostly Samsung. "Smart" doesn't matter to me, I have an XB1 that I use as a media center, but I realize it's already on most TVs. # of inputs doesn't matter either, everything either goes through the XB1 or through the home theater receiver. I want something that looks super sharp and smooth... I cheaped out and bought a 55" Westinghouse last time I got a TV which was 3 years ago and while it hasn't been a bad TV by any means, it's definitely not of the same caliber as the major brands, the blacks suck and the colors aren't crisp.

I don't really give a shit about refresh rate. It can be 120HZ CMR, 240HZ whatever. I don't care about the buzzwords, I just want it to look great. Some people hate the "fake" looking pictures with the high refresh rates, I actually kinda like it.

TV will be primarily used for live sports, streaming TV shows (currently hooked on The Americans), and vidyagames like Fallout 4.

Currently looking at Samsung UN60J6200, http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60J6200-60-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00U9U9AAM

Normally I'm not a brand whore, but I am able to get a TV like that for $200 through a work bonus program. Or I can wait and see if they add some 4k tvs to the program for a slightly higher price. They recently had a 65" LG 4k TV for about $600 through the program.

Thoughts?

4K won't come through a cable line for a very long time (if ever). Hell, most "HD" channels currently only transmit in 720p. The only advantages to having a set with that resolution are for gaming on a super high-end computer or watching a handful of youtube videos. You'll likely be shopping for a new TV after this one by the time 4K media becomes relatively commonplace, so I think it's a waste of money right now. I'd definitely spring for a Samsung (fellow fanboi here) 1080@240 set; They're cheaper than ever.

4K won't come through a cable line for a very long time (if ever). Hell, most "HD" channels currently only transmit in 720p. The only advantages to having a set with that resolution are for gaming on a super high-end computer or watching a handful of youtube videos. You'll likely be shopping for a new TV after this one by the time 4K media becomes relatively commonplace, so I think it's a waste of money right now. I'd definitely spring for a Samsung (fellow fanboi here) 1080@240 set; They're cheaper than ever.

Pretty much this. Exact reasons I picked up a 1080 Samsung a few weeks back

No need to pay for something you won't use in 4K. The refresh rate does matter a bit, unless you're gaming a lot 240 is a bit much and you'll run into picture quality issues as most movies and such are filmed at something like 60hz, I'm regretting my 240hz.

You can find some stellar good deals on something like a Samsung, non-smart in a 60hz in that size, I've been looking at just that range myself.

OLED. Crazy good picture, but pricey. The 1080p version's price has dropped though and there are deals that they come with a free sound bar and woofer.

I bought my LG OLED a few months back - best money I have spent. Don't go curved on the LG OLED though

That graphic is really strange... The only issue I ever had with a 36" 480i screen at five feet was my parents yelling at me to back off before my eyes went bad, yet supposedly I'm supposed to be buying a display that might not even exist yet?

That graphic is really strange... The only issue I ever had with a 36" 480i screen at five feet was my parents yelling at me to back off before my eyes went bad, yet supposedly I'm supposed to be buying a display that might not even exist yet?

It shows the point at which the human eye can no longer perceive an increase in resolution. It's not so much a "buying" guide as a "not over buying" guide.

Tossing out my opinion in that Sony is worth the price delta if you are looking for a full range true color gamut. My 4k and 1080p came out of the box calibrated nearly spot-on. Picture is amazingly accurate. That said most will look good so long as they aren't next to a Sony.

refresh rates lol

the input refresh rate is limited to 60hz on nearly every TV on the market. That simulated smoothing they do is shit.

Use a true 144hz monitor and see what high refresh rate is actually like

true 144hz monitor gaming ruined gaming on a console for me. Eveything just seems slow and laggy on anything other than 144hz.

I will second what a few other said; OLED and full color gamut are what I would look for before I worried about 4k. Though I'm not sure you will get those in a non 4k tv... I don't know the market well since I haven't been shopping. I can tell you my next TV down the road will have these 2 things, after having seen a TV with them. I'm sure I couldn't afford one right now though. :)

Just pulled the trigger on the 1080 one. Only knocks on it were shitty Smart TV features (I use XB1 for all HBO Now/Amazon Prime/Youtube) and the viewing angle (it's in a relatively narrow room, and I don't give a shit about my guests).

Been wanting to get a "real" brand TV for a while. Hopefully it doesn't arrive broken.