2011-2012 f150 4x4's w/v8

Buckeye1647545503

Those were the two years with condensation issues inside of the intercooler. From what I remember reading, even the fixed ones (catch can installed) still studder on hot/humid days "just not as bad". Not sure if they ever issued a recall on them though. Probably just a tsb for a better IC and people had to pay money to fix Ford's problems.

My old boss has a 2012 5.0 with zero issues and loves it.

I have a 14 5.0 f150 I bought new and have towed my camper and boat through the smokey mountains and then some many times without issues. Does everything I need it to and I didn't want the potential headache of the ecoboost.

Camper to big to pull with the ecoboost?

Ecoboost pulls more.

LOL.

3.5L TTV6 > 5.0L V8

This.

No an ecoboost would do it but ice talked to a few owners and the v8s seem happier on long freeway tows and use a little less gas from what I'm hearing. I was set on a ecoboost but have changed my mind

Incorrect in our experience. YMMV.

Those were the two years with condensation issues inside of the intercooler. From what I remember reading, even the fixed ones (catch can installed) still studder on hot/humid days "just not as bad". Not sure if they ever issued a recall on them though. Probably just a tsb for a better IC and people had to pay money to fix Ford's problems.

My old boss has a 2012 5.0 with zero issues and loves it.

Dad has a 2012 with zero issues and loves it.

I have a 14 5.0 f150 I bought new and have towed my camper and boat through the smokey mountains and then some many times without issues. Does everything I need it to and I didn't want the potential headache of the ecoboost.

We've used F150's with V8's for literally every generation. Dads Ecoboost is the only truck we haven't had an issue with, i.e. bye bye NASA inspired spark plug. They aren't usually big issues, but none the less.

ecoboost exhaust fuckin lul

*ricer vids*

Def helps make a decision about towing a boat. :lol:

I was set on a ecoboost but have changed my mind

If you're now "set on a V8" it seems you don't have much of a question. Get what you want and be happy. Everyone has their own experiences and opinions, some have no experience and still an opinion. shrug.jpg.

Having had both, I def prefer the Ecoboost platform although the 5.0 is solid as well. Gas mileage is largely driven ( ha, pun intended ) by HOW you drive with the Ecoboost. Drive with a heavy foot and getting into your boost all the time, yeah it's gonna suck. Keep a light throttle and will see pretty decent gas mpg for a 6k lb vehicle with aerodynamics of a hurled brick.

I get about 16 mpg in my 12 3.5 but that's 90% city driving, and I do get into the boost all the time as drive it hard and it also has every mod short of water / meth injection done to it as well. It will get 20 to 21 mpg usually on freeway.

Obviously if you lift it, put 35 inch mud tires that weigh twice as much, it's gonna negatively impact your gas mpg. Can't count how many times I've had people come up for a tune, and ask why their gas mpg dropped drastically after they installed a 6 inch lift and big tires.

Tons of other details on em but feel free to shoot me a PM or call at 614 620-5050 if have any specific questions, lots of experience with both platforms both from my own trucks and modding them for my business.

Ecoboost, look up the book time to replace the water pump, then make your decision from there.

I have a 5.0 150 and a 6.2 gas 350, you can get the 6.2 in a 150, it would tow like a boss. My 150 tows a 7300lb trailer just fine, the 350 does a better job of it though.

My 2010 F150 pulling my 24 ft box trailer needed 4-5k rpm on any grade over 1% and was slow as hell.

My 2013 ecoboost tows the same trailer at 2k rpm on anything below a 2% grade and 2.4k rpm on any grade above that.

This is with cruise control set @70mph

My 2010 F150 pulling my 24 ft box trailer needed 4-5k rpm on any grade over 1% and was slow as hell.

My 2013 ecoboost tows the same trailer at 2k rpm on anything below a 2% grade and 2.4k rpm on any grade above that.

This is with cruise control set @70mph

Impressive! Your car and trailer doesn't seem to be the lightest thing out there either lol.

OK, so I have a 2011 Ecoboost 157" FX4. Like anything, it has it's pros and it's cons.

Pro's:

Tows like a bauce. 70+mph from OH to TX through the hills/mountains of MO and OK, pulling a trailer with a 3300lb car, a bed full of extra parts (transmissions, transfer cases, rear ends, etc), and a cabin full of luggage and family. I was pleased with it's towing ability. MPG was about 15.5 which I felt no need to complain about.

Instant power. Have to be careful to not "peel out." You press the pedal, and it's there. MPG with mixed driving is usually around 17-18mpg depending on what kind of traffic I hit that week.

Cons:

Their fkng intercooler/condensation issue. If driving long distances through rain, it would start to misfire BADLY when trying to wot accelerate. I mean, it was bad. Ford "fixes" did NOT work. Ford was full of sh*t. Eventually, it destroyed a cat, but I got that covered under warranty because it was under 80,000mi. **I did put an RX catch can system on and I have NOT had the misfire issue since.** I don't know if it is permanently fixed or not, but it's been about a year now with no issues and that catch can pulls a TON of crap out.

I have HEARD that timing chains go out around 100,000mi. I am at 86000mi and haven't had any issues yet, but I plan on having the timing chain serviced within the next year so as to try to avoid any potential issues.

If I were to buy another Ford gas truck again, I personally would go with the Ecoboost again, but would install a good catch can system right off the bat.

Have any of you done simple mods like tune and exhaust? Does it make a big difference being as its a turbo vehicle? Seems they would be turned down from the factory.

Has anyone installed a front leveling kit, as the ones I've looked at need it badly?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=778&pictureid=7179

As I stated, not a prob. We've pulled enclosed 16 and 20 foot trailers and this hauler with my K10, the ExPauldition, and the massey ferguson tractors with bush hogs and plows without fail or hiccup. Long distance or short in any weather. YMMV, but when I go to buy new in the future it'll likely be one of these.