Lowrider Lincoln

zeitgeist57

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go any lower. Having a car you can still move to a safe spot when something in the system fails is a huge advantage.

I wonder if there are rear fender skirts available?

If you pay for the pearl and the clear I can bring my airbrush over and do some ghost lace on a panel of the car. Then it will be real 70's pimp status unlocked.

It still needs a 4bbl carb.

Looks fantastic Clay. I remember my fathers 1973 and then his 1977 Continentals. They were so big he had to cut a notch in the wall of our garage wall for the bumper to slide into so the door would close :)

Can't help but repost this pic though:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Misc%20Fun/Untitled-1_zpsujlaqtzw.jpg

Save

Will also need to weld new front shock absorber relocation brackets to the frame rails in the engine bay.

needs to be cut so the lower airbag mount can be welded. That will happen hopefully tomorrow.

Silly me for thinking you were going to weld something..... :dumb:

Car looks awesome!!

Silly me for thinking you were going to weld something..... :dumb:

Car looks awesome!!

I know the welds hold....because I had to CUT THROUGH THEM ALL to move the lower mounts back. :yuno: I tack-welded the plates on before assembling the suspension and realizing the bags were coming close to contacting a lower radius arm.

Those welds held up well to the cut-off wheel. I'm pretty confident the plates - in the appropriate spot and fully welded at multiple seams - should hold now.

That being said, when my wife said we should take the Lincoln out to Blaze Pizza on campus for dinner last night with the kids, I thought for a moment about some horrific accident from the welds breaking and I suggested we take the van until I put some shake-down miles on the lowrider. :lol:

Thanks, gergles :thumbup:

Bring the front down an inch or so, and it'd be perfect.

I have to say, I thought this would look like crap, but I really like it. Good work Clay.

FWIW, on flat ground it looks a little better. And I would love to get MAX LOW, but as I mentioned I like the fact it's resting on these big bumpstops and still has room to drive and steer.

Thank you for the honesty, brotatoe. Believe me, after numerous conversations with peeps and this thing hanging in the air for the last two weeks, I told myself on more than one occasion "WTF did I get myself into? This is going to turn out terribly." :lol: It helps to start with such a dinosaur of a chassis. I don't think I'd ever do anything this custom to a more modern car; I'd rely on aftermarket parts engineered for the application. After all my time, the money I theoretically saved could've gone towards better parts.

(P.S. sorry about the edit...I hit that button instead of "quote" but I didn't change anything...)

Lol this is awesome in just about every way... well done, Clay! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and enjoy playing with the paddles while everyone tries to figure out WTF all that noise is about when you dump the car.

FWIW, on flat ground it looks a little better. And I would love to get MAX LOW, but as I mentioned I like the fact it's resting on these big bumpstops and still has room to drive and steer.

Thank you for the honesty, brotatoe. Believe me, after numerous conversations with peeps and this thing hanging in the air for the last two weeks, I told myself on more than one occasion "WTF did I get myself into? This is going to turn out terribly." :lol: It helps to start with such a dinosaur of a chassis. I don't think I'd ever do anything this custom to a more modern car; I'd rely on aftermarket parts engineered for the application. After all my time, the money I theoretically saved could've gone towards better parts.

(P.S. sorry about the edit...I hit that button instead of "quote" but I didn't change anything...)

Looking forward to seeing it. The fact you can drive that low is a huge plus. We need some video of it for sure.

• 4 months later...

http://i.imgur.com/ulRvTyhl.jpg

I've got a few plans over the winter, while it's in storage...

- Ffront air bags keep rubbing and either leaking or blowing out. I've had 3 this past year. Going to swap to Slam Specialties SS-7 bags. My research shows that they don't balloon, or expand under pressure. If I keep getting cheap bags at $60 a bag instead of two SS-7's for $199, I'll never fix this problem.

- there are a few spots of surface rust on the lower panels. I'll use Corroseal, and touch up paint.