CR: Help me decide on a "fun" car

BStowers023

So I've been out of the scene for a while due to school and lack of funds. That's behind me now as I started working full-time making decent money and also will be getting settlement money very soon for an accident last year, so I've been dying to get back into something fun.

The two cars on the top of my list currently are: 2008-2010 BMW 135i, C5 (preferably an FRC or z06)

The 135i I feel like I could drive all year around if need be (I have a company truck I could take home on bad snow days), the C5 I just flat out would rather not drive all year around. I would consider buying a daily beater if I got the C5.

Here are the Pro's and Con's I've come up with for both...

C5 Pro's: My dream car since I was young, LS1/6, Tons of aftermarket options, higher HP potential

Cons: no garage (would likely pay for storage), won't drive in the winter(essentially forced to buy a 2nd car), more common (takes the cool/unique factor out more)

135i Pro's: Better DD, nicer interior, more rare, strong n54 engine, cheap to get 400whp, stock twin turbo, BMW

Cons: gets expensive/unreliable trying to push over 400whp (from my research), not my dream car from childhood, doesn't sound as good as a cammed V8 (IMO)

My budget is around $20k but I'd like to stay closer to the $14-18k range. I'd prefer to buy something that already has some of what I want performance wise done (cheaper). I'm just pretty torn right now and I'd like to buy something sooner than later because the itch to get into something is starting to drive me nuts as I look up cars for sale all day :lolguy:

I'd consider any other cars CR thinks might interest me. Those are just the 2 at the top of my list currently.

Brandon, do you have room for 2 cars? Get a DD and a C5 IMO...

I drove my C4 Corvette in the winter with A/S tires...really wasn't an issue. Jalopnik featured a C5 Corvette that just tripped 700k miles. They really are great DD platforms.

If you got a C5, then you could get a sedan/wagon/ext cab truck to do bad-weather/hauling duties.

Yeah the C5 has the slight edge currently. I do like the C6's a lot but seems to be hard to find a C6 in that price range that's not an '05 which I've heard nothing but bad things about the 05's. Im hoping that this winter I can convince my boss to essentially have the company truck to take home everyday (2011 F-150 extended cab), then there would be no issue for a winter/daily vehicle.

Yeah the C5 has the slight edge currently. I do like the C6's a lot but seems to be hard to find a C6 in that price range that's not an '05 which I've heard nothing but bad things about the 05's. Im hoping that this winter I can convince my boss to essentially have the company truck to take home everyday (2011 F-150 extended cab), then there would be no issue for a winter/daily vehicle.

+1

05 was a bad year

Try and find a c5z. I'd love to have one myself.

Yeah that's what I want. Prefer '02+. I've heard the '01's have oil issues. I'm trying to find a supercharged Z. I found a yellow one on tech. HKE 403 with an A&A Ysi, super clear but stock trans... :yuno: so that would need replaced.

I'm willing to go slightly over my budget for a high HP Vette because it will save me money in the long run because I already know I'll dump money into it to get it there either way :dumb:

C5, without a doubt.

You don't have your WS6 anymore?

Sold it when I started school. I was going to be living on campus and paying $500/month for a car payment + insurance to sit in my parents garage didn't make much since. I wish I could have justified keeping it