Hyundai main wiring harness?

zeitgeist57

Hey, guys...a coworker has a 2009 Hyundai Genesis sedan with the 4.6L V8. After 115k miles, it stalled out and has had some really bizarre electrical/sensor issues come up in the last few months. It's been in and out of the shop for awhile, and now they are saying it's the:

"main wiring harness with the FAM and junction boxes".

He said some Hyundai/KIA genius at the dealership says the pins/wires break on these cars and the whole wiring harness is just easier to replace than try to find the bad connection.

New Price? $3600

Does anyone have a source (aside from car-part.com) for a new/used main wiring harness? Thank you!

I've got nothing helpful to add really, but I continue to hear of wacky issues like this from late model Kia / Hyundai owners. Makes for great discussion when your non-car-guy friends explain how the standard features and low purchase price justify their Korean purchase over comparable Honda or Toyota products.

Is that just the part cost or parts+labor? The main vehicle harness, like the one that goes inside of the car, so maybe it requires ripping out a lot of the interior? I could see labor being high on a job like this, dependent on which part of the harness they want to replace.

How do they know it's the harness? Internment harness can be very, very tricky to diag. My thoughts are they are going off of "We replaced these parts and based off of history, it must now be this other part." I'd hate to see the poor fool say OK and it doesn't fix the issue.

Is that just the part cost or parts+labor? The main vehicle harness, like the one that goes inside of the car, so maybe it requires ripping out a lot of the interior? I could see labor being high on a job like this, dependent on which part of the harness they want to replace.

How do they know it's the harness? Internment harness can be very, very tricky to diag. My thoughts are they are going off of "We replaced these parts and based off of history, it must now be this other part." I'd hate to see the poor fool say OK and it doesn't fix the issue.

I would bet they grab the harness and jerk it around making all kinds of random stuff happen. I'll have to ask a couple of the Kia/Hyandai techs at work and see how common this is.

I've had good luck with fourgreen.com, i've had some parts from here be less than 1/4 cost of the dealer, other parts are almost the same price, it depends. downsides are you have to wait about 4weeks for them to come from Korea, and they're site is almost unusable for looking up parts, only worth using if you already know the part number you need.

I've had good luck with fourgreen.com, i've had some parts from here be less than 1/4 cost of the dealer, other parts are almost the same price, it depends. downsides are you have to wait about 4weeks for them to come from Korea, and they're site is almost unusable for looking up parts, only worth using if you already know the part number you need.

Il send that site along to my coworker. :thumbup: