When to claim on insurance, how much above deductible?

Trouble Maker

Wife ran over a curb and damaged the rocker and got into both of the doors just a little bit. So, single car incident and no other damage to anything else. Rocker is pushed in quite a bit.

Just got a quote at $1,088. Our deductible is $500.

For me, if it were more like $750 I think it's a no contest, just pay for it.

If it were more like $1500, just claim it.

But, maybe that's just my slightly uneducated about how this might affect my insurance view point.

Does it even matter, can the insurance company somehow see that I had it fixed and just jack up my rates anyways?

What say you CR?

I don't understand why people pay more for a $500 insurance deductible...if you're not planning on using it unless the claim is more. You're wasting your money.

You won't file a claim unless the damage is around $1,000?

You don't have a lot of out-of-pocket money if there's an accident? Maybe you can squeeze together $250?

Guess what? There's your deductible. :lol:

I'd likely pay for my accident up to 1500 before claiming it myself. I also have a 500 deductible.

Pretty much this.

If it involved a 3rd party in any way I'd take it to insurance from the start to avoid nasty surprises later. If it's just a single car thing and a reasonable amount I'd do it out of pocket.

Wife ran over a curb and damaged the rocker and got into both of the doors just a little bit. So, single car incident and no other damage to anything else. Rocker is pushed in quite a bit.

Just got a quote at $1,088. Our deductible is $500.

For me, if it were more like $750 I think it's a no contest, just pay for it.

If it were more like $1500, just claim it.

But, maybe that's just my slightly uneducated about how this might affect my insurance view point.

Does it even matter, can the insurance company somehow see that I had it fixed and just jack up my rates anyways?

What say you CR?

Pay out of pocket for the 1k now. Then call your insurance company and up your deductibles to 1k so you don't have this issue going forward.

It's a lease car through my company and they require a $500 deductible.

LOL indeed you turds.

Maybe the question isn't as specific as $1088 & $500, but how much above your deductible would it have to be in order to claim it?

In other words, regardless of what your deductible is, there is some threshold above that amount which the claim would have to be to claim it. You aren't going to claim a $501 claim on a $500 deductible, just like you wouldn't claim a $1001 claim on a $1000 deductible.

Edited by Trouble Maker

Maybe the question isn't as specific as $1088 & $500, but how much above your deductible would it have to be in order to claim it?

In other words, regardless of what your deductible is, there is some threshold above that amount which the claim would have to be to claim it. You aren't going to claim a $501 claim on a $500 deductible, just like you wouldn't claim a $1001 claim on a $1000 deductible.

I used to think that way until my rate went up after dropping a car in June. It now cost me more for them to insure less.