Outer Banks...

HotCarl

Going for a week with the GF's family. I went once when I was very young and just remember it being boring. Hopefully things have changed? Any recommendations on what to do? where to eat?

Already signed up to go parasailing at some point, which is great because it gives me the rare opportunity to combine my fear of heights, flying and drowning all in one activity.

Do you know what part you're staying in? I went last year and stayed in Duck. We went to the Wright Brothers museum, visited three lighthouses, drove the entire length of the outerbanks but the most fun I had was at the far north end the road kicks you out to the beach. You can drive I think 14 miles on the beach to the Virginia line if you have a 4x4. You can drive over the sand dunes in certain areas and there are back roads for houses all the way up to Virginia. They do wild horse tours through there with Hummers and F250's that get bumper deep in the large puddles on the back roads. I went through a number of them which was fun.

X2. Big area. Duck is hours from Nags Head for example. All beautiful area. I was partial to Corolla north of Duck where you drive the beach. That's the only free place to do so. And yeah, some holes are DEEP

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/OBX%2010-19-13/IMG-20131020-00107_zps43ff7039.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/OBX%2010-19-13/IMG-20131020-00093_zps262a05ac.jpg

Edited by iwashmycar

I stayed in Ocracoke a few years back. As stated the Wright Brother's museum is cool, then the light houses.

the point of outter banks is to be boring. I walked the beach for 2 hours at one spot and didn't see another person, it was fantastic.

Stayed at Kill Devil Hills a month ago. It's just south of the Wright brother's museum and a nice area.

There's the dunes south of there and Janette's pier even further south that you can fish off of. No complaints about the food places we went to. +1 for Ducks Donuts. Also enjoyed Kill Devil Frozen Custard and I highly recommend getting your Booty Freeze on. http://bootytreats.com/menu/booty-originals/ It's basically dippin dots in the center of shave ice. I did a root beer float, wife did a creamsicle.

Crabs were pretty active at night too when walking the beach.

You don't go to the banks for a party you go there to relax. You must have duck donuts one morning or evening or for lunch.. Damn the maple bacon donut is amazing. Sunset grille is a great place to have dinner, the sunset ale is a well done beer. Blue point has hands down the best fish taco in the banks. If you like bbq, pig mans or duck deli are good. Some people will tell you high cotton but I'm partial to duck deli. The black pelican is the best restaurant on the entire island.

Things to do... Pier fishing is hit or miss, Jeanette's pier is probably the best for fishing but get there early for a spot at the end. If you are in to dolphin watching there is zero need to take a boat trip. Go down the kitty hawk at 8:30 and hang out on the next, around 8:45 a group of Dolphins will swim up the coast playing a feeding. Like others have said you can go to cape hatteras, bodie or one of the many light houses. If you like to fish, while at bodie there is a small path tha is gated off. You can walk back there and fish. The aquarium just re opened, Wright brothers is a pretty cool stop. If you like frozen custard then kill Devils is honestly the best frozen custard in the world.

I went to OBX for the first time last Sept. We stayed in Rodanthe and love it. Like others have said, this is a great vacation spot to relax. If you like all those touristy things, go to Myrtle Beach. There isn't a whole lot of places to eat either, so we cooked most of our meals at the beach house. I will say I did have a blast driving my Jeep all over the beaches and dunes.

Sorry guys, just got a chance to get online and completely forgot I made this post.

We're staying at Corolla, just north of duck. So far every day we wake up i got for a run and sweat my ass off, then beach it for an hour or two, then pool, then dry off and lunch, then a nice long nap.

Had some great seafood today in Corolla aswell but I can't remember what the name of the place way, kinda tucked away by a go cart place. Across from the Food Lion.

We're doing parasailing tomorrow, and the wild horse tours thursday. Funny thing is, we drove my GF's Grand Cherokee down here, she insists her car is made for off roading and can drive to see the horses without paying for a tour. Meanwhile I'm seeing all of these Hummer H1's that the wild horse tours use. Yeah we're paying for the tour b/c I'm not dealing with her Jeep getting stuck in sand.

This was the house we stayed at when we went back in 2010. It was sweet; even had an elevator in it. Like everyone else said though, there wasn't shit to do. We brought a lot of people and had to make our own fun (beer pong, etc). It was pretty relaxing though, I guess. Better than going to work.

http://i.imgur.com/xMTMgJL.jpg

This was the house we stayed at when we went back in 2010. It was sweet; even had an elevator in it. Like everyone else said though, there wasn't shit to do. We brought a lot of people and had to make our own fun (beer pong, etc). It was pretty relaxing though, I guess. Better than going to work.

http://i.imgur.com/xMTMgJL.jpg

Yup, not alot to do but make your own fun really. This place would be great with my hockey team and a few cases of beer but alas I'm here with a half dozen old lawyers, oh well.