For those who don't think they need a rollbar...

wagner

Hey 2highpsi:

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-it-looks-like-when-a-1750-horsepower-gt-r-1784524970

I don't really see a roll bar in this car.

That car is a perfect example of my point.

One of the many GT-Rs to lose control while doing well over 200 mph. Driver walked away, car will be fixed.

Off topic note:

GT-Rs come from the factory with a "flaw". The CAN messaging system stops communicating with the AWD system over 200 MPH. That's why so many people lose control over that speed. The car loses AWD/ABS/Traction Control. The aftermarket has since remedied the problem though.

The owner of the car in the video is blaming a camber arm for the "accident" He's wrong. The camber arm breaking was an effect of the slide, not the cause.

Don't want to put safety equipment in a car, then stay off of the track. Yes there are cars that need the stuff stock, but oh well.

I'm OK with that.

But I want the other side of the equation to be fair too. Let's get dangerous race cars off the streets.

Have a cage and get caught driving on the street? Get your car impounded.

(See how ridiculous it is when the shoe is on the other foot)

I'm OK with that.

But I want the other side of the equation to be fair too. Let's get dangerous race cars off the streets.

To be fair if you are obeying traffic laws a cage is not that dangerous. I drove 20 years and had at least one accident where I hit my head in a car that came with a "cage" from the factory (Jeep Wrangler). If you are doing close to 200 mph on the street and get caught I think how dangerous your cage is to your head is the least of your worries.

In the vid the castor arm failed which caused the slide. The car almost rolled at two different points but didn't. I haven't seen a rolled high speed GTR yet but I imagine one is out there. My point is - there are some sketchy air port races that will still let you run uncaged.

To be fair if you are obeying traffic laws a cage is not that dangerous.

To be fair, if you are obeying the law automatic assault rifles aren't dangerous... yet we still aren't allowed to own them.

38,300 people were killed in auto accidents last year. 4.4 million were seriously injured. Put NHRA certified cages into every one of those cars and the death toll goes up.

If you are doing close to 200 mph on the street and get caught I think how dangerous your cage is to your head is the least of your worries.

I'm not talking about going 200 MPH myself. I was saying that people are losing control of non caged GT-Rs at 200 MPH and walking away. Hence my reasoning that me going 140 on the track in one isn't all together that "unsafe"

In the vid the castor arm failed which caused the slide. .

The caster arm snapped AFTER the car got sidewise (at 200 mph putting immense stress on that part)

The videos online aren't as good as the ones I've seen from people there. In one video you can clearly see when the slide becomes "violent" is when the arm snapped. But the car lost control before that happened.

I'm OK with that.

I was being slightly silly as I don't have a bar and should. I still am 100% for safety equipment at the track though.